Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

moonpie1985
Beginner July 2012

Interesting male perspective on if a women should hand back her engagement ring after a break up

moonpie1985, 5 September, 2011 at 21:19 Posted on Planning 0 47

So I was reading the male dominated world of pistonheads forums again, and stumbled across a thread which has got into a debate on if a women should return her engagement ring to the guy if the relationship brakes down.

Here is the link: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=210&t=1050003&i=999999&nmt=Selling unwanted engagement rings....

Now I want the ladies perspective...

47 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 7 September, 2011 at 13:18
  • Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

No of course not! Its like handing back xmas pressies. I just wouldnt do it. Would you? ?

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

I think technically they should, I think however NO!

It was given to me wasnt it!!

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Exactly! Its a damn pressy.

Stupid men.

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

So when i was 18 my boyfriend proposed then ran off with best mate ring cost over 2000 i sold it for 2200 and spent it on a nice girls holiday i say no in my situation it was tough luck x

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

I think tradition holds that if the engagament fails because the man breaks off the engagement, the woman is not obliged to return the ring, reflecting the ring's role as a form of compensation for the woman's damaged reputation. Seems fair!

Seems a bit harsh for some flighty t*rt to cheat on her bloke and then run off keeping the ring. I think in cases like this, she should return it.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Ooh fair point above,

i automatically blamed the man tho haha

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly WSS. Traditionally a woman just didn't break off an engagement. She was "grateful" just to be asked and to be married. So keeping the ring was compensation. I think if the woman changes her mind though, she should hand back the ring, equally compensating the bloke.

• S
    Beginner August 2012
    shoosh ·
    • Hide content

I have been engaged before, and when we broke up, the asked for the ring back... I gave him it... but would have liked to have kept it ?

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

My friend once had an engagement ring (about 10 years ago when she was 18) and she threw it down a lane when they split up after a night out. the next day she went back to find it and couldn't so either some lucky so and so found it and kept it, or it went down a drain.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Maybe he woke up earlier and got there first!

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Would you want to keep a ring that reminded you of a failed relationship though? I would never have worn one if I had had one as it would feel a bit odd.

• Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content

My friend kept it, sold it and their wedding rings on eBay, went to new York and found herself another man!!! Sounds like a good deal to me! I asked MrApples, he said the woman should keep it (think he worried it was a test, I'm in such a bad mood tonight though I think he might wonder if I'm plotting my escape!!!)

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

LMAO Mrs Apples, thats funny. Sorry about your mood though.

I think my OH would worry it was a test too, luckily he's out.

My friends engagement ring was I believe a cheap argos one, they were only 18 and pregnant so I dont think it was worth much, but she'd have sold it in a heartbeat after the split cos he sure as hell didn't pay towards the baby!! (but thats another story)

• brenda.hu
    Beginner June 2012
    brenda.hu ·
    • Hide content

If I were the girl ,I'll mail the engagement ring ,without any words,forget everything,after all tomorrow is another day~

• alocin88
    Beginner
    alocin88 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think that it depends on who breaks the engagement, and legally speaking .....

In Britain, the return of an engagement ring cannot be legally enforced unless there was an agreement to do so, as sometimes happens if it is a family heirloom

Most US states presume the ring is a conditional gift and must be returned if the engagement is called off

Irish law presumes that all engagement gifts are conditional on the marriage taking place. If it doesn’t, the gifts must be returned,

Canadian law says that whoever breaks off the engagement forfeits all claim to the ring

South Africa classifies engagement rings as tokens of sincerity. If the couple part, the rings are returned

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

I think i would always keep it because even if its me breaking the engagement there would be a good reason for it and the ring would be my compensation for putting up with him for however long.️?️

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What's his compensation? A lucky escape...?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS.

I'd give it back.

• MrsMcCall2be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsMcCall2be ·
    • Hide content

If he cheated, or in some way broke my heart, I'd keep it and sell it to make up for him being a ***.

If I left him or it was a mutual parting, I'd give it back.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I think i'd give it back. As others have said, i wouldn't want to keep it as it would just be a reminder of the failed relationship. Actually makes me quite sad to think about it. I've only ever been engaged once and i can't imagine having to give the ring back. I see it every day and it makes me smile because it reminds me of my OH.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I would give back the ring if I broke up with him, or if we mutually broke up/drifted apart. I think it's only right.

If he cheated on me then I would keep it.

Not that any of that will happen ?

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I love how a lot of the men on pistonheads say "brake" up instead of "break" up... motors on their mind no doubt. (Me? Making sexist remarks? Pft, never!)

I never gave back my engagement ring when my ex broke up with me. It was only cheap anyway so I'm not sure what he would have done with it should he have kept it. It was white gold though, perhaps I'll sell it and use the money for my wedding. Ironic? ?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I think the giving of an engagement ring is a gift to seal the deal, and signifies commitment on both sides. I think a woman should always offer, and i think a man should always decline to take it back. Its just polite isn't it.

My MOH's ex cheated and insisted on taking the rings off her as he said they were his, as he paid for them and he was allowing her to wear them. Yes he was a right w@nker.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Why would you want it! I would give it back.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. What would be the point in keeping it? It would have bad memories attached to it. I wouldn't feel right selling it (unless the man had done something terrible!).

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly WSS.

I wouldn't want to sell it, look at it, wear it, throw it away - I would want to give it back (IMO the honourable thing - regardless of how someone else has behaved, I would not want to do something that I was not proud of), and then move on.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have just done exactly this! I sold all the jewellery my ex gave me, got quite a lump sum and put it towards my wedding dress! ha ha

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If it was in my instance, i know i wouldnt leave H for any other reason (well i like to think anyway) apart from if he'd been a very naughty boy, so i would sell it and not feel guilty one nada!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe it's just me, and maybe it's because our relationship ended reasonably amicably. But looking at my old ring doesn't make me angry or upset. It reminds me of how young and naive I was to accept in the first place and I sort of chuckle to myself and think how different things would be if we'd have actually tied the knot!

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry but I think that's quite icky. I would never use money from an ex/old relationship to help, financially, toward a new relationship, let alone a wedding.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

It depends if you think of it as 'ex-money' or if its just old jewellery u dont want any more and it just so happens it was from your ex.

money's money!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics