Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

far2calm
Beginner May 2012

Interior Designers - Sofa & Curtains

far2calm, 23 November, 2012 at 09:51 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

I thought putting our own stamp on our house would be fun, but it is proving hard work, basically because everything I would like I can’t find and probably hasn’t even been produced yet!

Anyway currently on with the sitting room, wanted a brown leather sofa but struggling to find anything what we like, so keep coming back to the these very grand type sofas (Ashley Manor) where you have one striped say and the other flowery and a massive footstool to tie in. Not to everyone’s taste but I live in an old farm house so need to be in keeping with the property to an extent. I think we are pretty sorted on what we ‘might’ order, but it is deciding which sofa to put in front of the window Striped or Flowery because then this will play havoc with curtain purchasing, wont it!?!

Anyone have anything like this in there home they could flash please, or seen any pictures with these types sofas and curtains!?!

I am trailing the internet to see a room set out similar and coming up with nothing, any help or opinions would be fab.

15 replies

Latest activity by far2calm, 4 February, 2013 at 10:32
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I don't have pictures to help, but I know exactly what you mean, love it! That would be my dream house, country style but a bit grand, miss matched but all 'going' together.

If you say had a common colours in your room, say the sofa is cream and pale green and the floral one incorporates those colour, either could go against the window if you choose self coloured green or cream curtains? Would mean that room could be moved around without much problem too in future if need be!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I love those style sofas!

I would go with either then pick one colour and have plain, heavy curtains personally.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

LOVE this one.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Kharv you have just picked out the sofa I am hoping to order tomorrow, eeek!

I was thinking plain curtains, I'm just worried I make it to dark as the the room has a lowish ceiling (7ft) with dark oak beams.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I really like the sort of style you describe - would look fab in an older house.

Sounds daft but have you tried Laura Ashley and John Lewis? Barker and Stonehouse (or it might be Baker?) has some reasonably priced stuff. Also have a look at Made.com for more unusual pieces. What sort of budget are you looking at? These people also have some nice stuff

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Barker and Stone house sell this make, as does Fenwicks, actually sat on the sofa about 4 times now and just keep putting off, they are very statement pieces.

We don't have a budget as such, I dont mean we are going crazy and spending a fortune, but so far what we are thinking of ordering is coming to £3,100, eek! But in my defense I am a type of person who would prefer to buy quality classical pieces that I dont have to replace for another 20 plus years or ever! ha.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking along the right lines for you then! I agree with you on being happy to pay for classic stuff that you can revamp with cheaper cushions or the like if you want to freshen up the look for a fraction of the price.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Yes it is the exact colour that Kharv posted, I just think it will tie in with the beams, we have opened the fire up and added a oak lintel stained to tie with the beams and this stove which would tie in with the dark colour in the sofa.

(pic from the net)

I think I just panic when you are spending so much money on these sorts of things and you can't tell if it all works out until it is to late, would be nice to have everything home for a month and then decide if you like it.

JoJo I have the Laura Ashley catalogue, and yes there are some good ideas in there, some things you would never think of putting together work so well!

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Well come to think of it the beams run across the room from the window so that would make sense..... you see we are wanting a Grande and Large and they can only go in certain positions, hence the desicion on which way round we should have the fabric.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Thanks JoJo, I think it would have to be the lighter colour tooooo, ooo I'm excited, just annoying that it wont be all done for Christmas but it dosent matter to much it'll be nice once it is finished...

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Delivery tomorrow...eek!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics