Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2012

Interview before civil ceremony??

chels89, 4 of March of 2012 at 16:52 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi guys i wondered if anyone else has had this problem- i have given my notice of marriage and had the interview etc at the same time. I have now received the paper work from the registry office that is going to be marrying us (in our venue) and it says that the bride must arrive 20mins before cermony to have an interview either with or seporately to the groom.

I have never heard of this before, i know others that have been married by a registrar recently and not done this! I am going to have to arrive at the same time as the guests, therefore ruining the usual bridal entrance and also how unromantic it will be having to do that before the big moment!!

Please can anyone let me know how they got around this?

Many Thanks xx

14 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousPurpleBridesmaid73066, 20 of November of 2019 at 15:01
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

My first wedding was in a hotel, and ex-H arrived, had his interview. As guests arrived they were shown to their seats. I arrived and Mum, Dad and bridesmaids were there to greet me - guests had already gone in. I went straight for the interview which lasted about 3 mins, then had the big entrance. A few people had seen me, either when I had to dash to the loo first, or if guests were late, but it didn't matter.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

This is something that you have to do by law. All that needs to happen us for your venue co-ordinator to instruct your guests to move through to the ceremony room when you arrive and then you can have your meeting. Your venue will be used to this and will have somewhere the interview can take place. We have put on our invites that guests are to be seated 15 minutes before the ceremony which you could do. Honestly though, it is not something to worry about, everyone does it and your venue will be equipped for it.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

It's a legal requirement to meet with the registrar before a civil ceremony to confirm details, never known any of our couples not doing it. Don't worry though, I'd imagine all your guests will be seated awaiting your arrival by the time you'll get to the venue to meet the registrar. Your fiance would usually see the registrar first, then go into the ceremony room so he wouldn't see you either, so you'll still get your grand moment ?

Ali x

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a civil ceremony at the venue with reception in the same room. there is a little room where we can both at separate times see the registrar before the ceremony. i will have to walk down the main starirs with my dad and hopefully no latecomers will be there. (its a good idea to have the ushers on hand to ask the guests to be seated early.) Then a door opens from the interview room into the ceremony room. The guests wont be expecting that. I was worried too when we were told about the interview first.

We've looked at quite a few venues and each one had a room to be inerviewed in, out of the guests way before hand.

If you 're worried at all, just speak to the wedding co-ordinator at your venue and ask how it works.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I'm hoping to be able to get able to get ready in the honeymoon suite beforehand so the registrar will come to the room.

• Duckford20
    Beginner April 2012
    Duckford20 ·
    • Hide content

Im having a church wedding not civil....but i did work in a very popular wedding venue for several years. As others say its a legal formality. The venue your getting married at would of done this hundreds of times and will ensure no-one sees you before you walk down the aisle/red carpet etc. They should be getting people seated by the time you arrive anyway

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

As everyone else said - legal requirement. Everyone has to do it.

Your OH's interview will probably be 20 minutes before - yours is likely to be 5 minutes before you walk in so everyone will be seated. Won't make any difference to the entrance.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I'm staying at the venue the night before so hoping to have mine first while OH arrives then while he has his I will have some photo's taken with the campervan that OH arrived in. The I can do the big entrance straight after. Well this is all as long as the registra agrees.

• nicolagrimshawmitchell
    nicolagrimshawmitchell ·
    • Hide content

Babe, don't worry about it - basically they usually come to your room and ask questions like - what is your full name, your fathers name etc etc, its to make sure the details they write on the certificate are correct. If they cant come to your room for any reason, maybe you're not getting ready there? then they just do the 'interview' somewhere in the venue, a side room for example. Sometimes they do it outside or in the bar - they wont expect you to stand like a numpty on display in front of your arriving guests! They have plenty of time to 'interview' the groom, while he's in the ceremony room before the guests arrive. Do trust me on this - I see it at every wedding x xx

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,I know this is an old thread, but it saves me starting my own.

I've just been told about this before-the-wedding interview thing too. Problem is, the church where we are marrying goes straight from the street into a small entrance hall which is only separated from the main sanctuary by glass. Do you know if I could do the interview thing while still sitting in the car? I don't care about making a big entrance, but the thought of standing there having my interview while everyone in the sanctuary is turning round to look at me is making me stressed! There is a small back room, but other than going through the main sanctuary, you can only access it down a very narrow outside path lined with rusty railings and up a fire escape - not great in a white dress!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

If you are having a Church wedding then there is no pre wedding interview involved.

• R
    • Hide content

It was the minister of the church who told me there would be a pre wedding interview. He said he'd had a couple of brides who hadn't been warned about it by the registry office and were very upset when they turned up and found there was a delay before they had to go down the aisle, so now he tells every couple so they're prepared for it.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm getting confused now. I don't think his sounds like somewhere in the UK as the Church and a registry office are separate things and there is no pre wedding interview with a Church (COE ) wedding apart from meetings with the reverend but that is always days- weeks before the wedding and never on the day.

A non Church (civil ceremony ) does have a pre wedding interview in which the registrar will ask -- or rather is a double check of info they already have like name address age. Basic stuff and a quick final run through of the procedure and the ceremony. Lasts about 10-15 mins.

For a 1pm wedding the groom will be seen usually at around 12.15 -12.30. The bride would then arrive at about 12.45 and see the registrar in a separate room, by which time everyone will be seated.

• R
    • Hide content

It is in the UK but it's not a CofE church but a Baptist one - one of my fiance's closest friends is a Baptist minister, and we wanted the ceremony to be done by someone who knows us (In a C of E church, it has to be a vicar who does the ceremony).

• L
    Dedicated June 2019
    LuxuriousPurpleBridesmaid73066 ·
    • Hide content

I got married in my local parish church in Scotland and the minister did want to interview husband and me twice in our home. Once to confirm all the details and once to discuss the importance of marriage and the commitment we were making. The wedding is a day the marriage is the years that come after. The registry office will find it easier to have the meeting on the day as they won’t have the time to meet everyone before hand.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics