Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pittabre

Interview between John Barrowman and David Tennant

Pittabre, 9 of January of 2014 at 11:20 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

DT said there are very few gay people in Hollywood. JB laughed and said there were lots of gay people in Hollywood but they were advised not to come out because if they announced they were gay it would cause problems with audiences. He elaborated that women would find it hard to (I can't remember the phrase he used) get on board with a gay leading man. Personally I can't understand this theory at all. Surely the whole point of being a good actor is that you believe the role they create so why would their personal life matter?

I never found John Barrowman attractive because there is something about it that just doesn't do it for me. Ian McKellan though I find very attractive. In both instances their sexuality is not the reason for or against their attractiveness. Wentworth Miller never floated my boat, but Dominic Purcell in Prison Break was the eye candy to me. WM only came out* recently but I already didn't find him attractive.

Does any of this waffle make sense? And what do you think? George Takei often posts pictures of very attractive young men that have stated that they are gay and then apologies to the women. However I often think I wouldn't have a chance with them anyway so why would their sexuality matter??

* does anyone know the origin of the phrase come out? I don't really like it but not sure why.

6 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 9 of January of 2014 at 21:25
  • Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I've been wondering since the ex Premiership footballer 'came out' the other day, why does it matter anymore? In 2014 people should just be able to get on with their lives the way they want to.

Like you say, with Hollywood - if they're a good actor it wont matter what or who they do in their personal life. Christian Bale beat his sister up, but I still think he's an amazing actor. He's just a twunt.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I opened this thread with interest because there is something that irritates the hell out of me about both of these people and wondered what they had been saying to each other!

To me I couldn't give a flying fig whether an actor was straight or gay, if they are a good actor it doesn't matter because they play a convincing part either way. To me I think I would probably 'fancy' their character rather than them as a person if that makes sense. Also as you say I'd never stand a chance with them so if they are just 'nice to look at' then whether they are straight or gay makes no difference.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

When there was so much fuss about Tom Daley coming out, I just thought exactly that, "Does it really matter? Is this REALLY news?".

I do not like John Barrowman's shows etc but when I have seen him interviewed, I think he is hilarious.

As a younger woman, I very often found myself attracted to gay men unintentionally. There was a guy called Chris that I was obsessed with when I was about 13/14 and he later "came out". I used to write to Tony Slattery all the time because I loved him and wanted to marry him.

As I got older, for some reason, i found myself gravitating towards friendship with gay men, and them to me, it still happens. One of them says it's because I am camp. I also worked in jobs where there were more than average amounts of gay men too (theatre and airline to name two).

I always thought 'Coming Out' was something to do with skeletons coming out of the closet. I may be wrong though.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Oh and one of my pet hates is when someone comes out and people say "What a waste!". Why is it a waste? Someone still gets to love them and be loved by them, just someone of the same sex. It's not a waste of anything.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This I think comes from an outdated view that a same sex couple can't have children. So a good looking man that was gay would not father any good looking children therefore it's a waste of his good looks maybe?

(way too many 'good lookings' in that sentence)

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Agree with Panj. same with me, i have always been friends with gay guys, even lived with a couple at one time....i actually miss having a GBF!!

I know lots of celebs, both in Hollywood and here are told to keep their sexuality a secret, esp guys in boy bands as they want their female army to follow them and be in love with them..load of bull IMO

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My thoughts exactly! My friends flatmate is gay and her Nan insists on saying "what a waste he is gay!". He sounds like a great guy who l am sure will make some man very happy. Where is the waste there?!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics