Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner July 2015

Invitation costs!!

BridetobeMrsS, 22 of February of 2015 at 17:49 Posted on Planning 0 18

I am clearly completely clueless about wedding stuff...I have 5 months to go and I'm still terribly unprepared Smiley sad

I've been driving myself mad trying to sort my invitations for the last week, and while I knew that once the word 'wedding' was attached to anything, the costs go through the roof, I was unprepared for how much invitations can cost!! Of course I was nice invitations to send out to my guests, but am I being really cheap by thinking the prices are just outrageous?! The set cost package invitations from wedding websites/etsy/eBay are out of the question as any that I like cost £2+ each and that means I'm spending a minimum of £80 on just the day invites (40 invitations), without even thinking about the 60 evening invitations I would have to buy...I'd be looking at between £150-£200 if I went down this route.

Please say it's not just me that thinks this is a ridiculous cost for something which will ultimately just be thrown away??

my other option is to buy basic printed invitation cards and pretty them up myself with DIY bits and bobs, but again I've priced up the cheapest suitable option (from eBay) and just for the day invitation cards + information cards + evening invitation cards (before DIY), (and I'm not having RSVP cards) these will cost minimum £70, that's just for the A6 printed cards...

so what I'm asking in my long winded way is...how much have you ladies paid for your invites, whether you went for the expensive option or the DIY option and do you have any cost saving tips/websites to share?

thanking you kindly Smiley smile

18 replies

Latest activity by Lapland2015, 23 of February of 2015 at 12:00
  • C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

I used Vistaprint, great quality and choice. They cost £1 each.

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

I've used this site http://paper-shaker.com/

I've not been able to customise as much as I'd like but the ones I've tweaked look really nice and can have flourishes added in my own time if I wish. C. £110 for Invitation, RSVP, and Direction cards - the folding and finish skews the price, but flat cards are about £1-140 ish each

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

We went for Vistaprint cards - waited until there was a 50% deal (usually every month or so) and ordered then as ultimately like you say most people throw them away. I think we got 80 with envelopes, RSVP's and address stickers for about £40. We got save the dates which were magnets from there too so they matched. You can upload your own designs too.

I also couldn't be bothered to make them - I originally priced this up but was working out more then I hoped and when factoring in the time (over 1 hour for 1!) it wasn't worth it in our opinion.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Hah, we bought ours from card factory! None of our guests would have cared a jot what the invites looked like, so we figured it was an area we could easily cut back on. I think they cost us about a tenner :-)

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Ours were from Vintage Rose Wedding Invitations and cost £3 each, but we only needed nine. I suspect if we'd needed more we may have shopped around a bit!

• R
    Beginner September 2015
    ricepudding ·
    • Hide content

We are using an app/wedding website to do everything as I refused to pay for things that people will just end up putting in the bin!

• S
    Beginner March 2015
    Sums2b ·
    • Hide content

I used ebay for our evening invites- jumpfox-invites. It was about £30 for 100 plus envelopes and they are really lovely!

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

Vistaprint here - its costing us £104 for day invites, evening invites, rsvp cards, order of service all with matching envelopes and stickers Smiley smile

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I spent a small fortune on our invites, £5.50 per one! To me they were very important and I wanted them to be amazing (which they are!). The invites are the first contact anyone had with our wedding so I wanted them to have the 'wow' factor x

• Cupcake26
    Beginner August 2015
    Cupcake26 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

wow I would love to see these! Ours cost £2.75 each - pocket fold style so no need to faff with inserts

xXx

• B
    Beginner August 2015
    Bets2015 ·
    • Hide content

My fiancé has a background in design and has all sorts of apps on his iPad so he designed and made ours. They are perfect and totally us. We couldn't find any we liked online and these feel so much more special because we made them. We bough the card, the envelopes and took it to a local printers. We had silly amounts quoted at us for invites we didn't even like that much. This way we got to do day and evening invites, additional information and our own RSVPs so takes the hassle away for guests. We were quoted up to £650 but ended up paying about £80 for everything! Smiley smile

• cez1987
    Beginner October 2015
    cez1987 ·
    • Hide content

We did spend quite a fair bit but totally worth it. They were around £3 each

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    mrsgzd ·
    • Hide content

We paid £175 for our invites but it was the OH's boss's wife who made them and she just charged us for the materials and didnt charge us anything to make them which was handy. There lovely though, we sent some out earlier this week and have already had messages saying how lovely they are. If I was creative enough I would have liked to have made them but unfortunately im not and we got offered a good deal so thought why not.

You can get some lovely invites from vistaprint and websites like that though. When we first found out the price of some of them my OH said we should just invite everyone via facebook haha I said no pretty quickly

xx

• TheFutureMrsKay
    Beginner October 2015
    TheFutureMrsKay ·
    • Hide content

I bought my day invitations from eBay; 50 for £25. And they are incredible! Folded with ivory card and beautiful ribbons. Just shop around and don't be disheartened Smiley smile

Beginner July 2015
    2BMrsB ·
    • Hide content

Feel Good Wedding Invites via Etsy. £67 for 40 day invites plus envelopes. Haven't arrived yet but the samples were gorgeous and the communication with the owner was quick and friendly. We've kept costs down by not bothering with inserts or RSVP cards.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning on printing my own. Have started designing them. I've checked on paper cost and will be about £20 for 100 sheets of parchment. I just need sealing wax and a stamp that I'm guessing will be another £20ish. Mine will be scrolls with RSVP details inside rather than a seperate RSVP card.

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

We home made, and i love them. i would flash, but im not allowed until our guests have received them!

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

For me as longs as the guests have the necessary information then that is all that matters. I've bought some pearlised cream card and will print the information on them. Will probably use a edging hole punch top and bottom. Job done.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

We had passport invites around £3.50 each with boarding pass rsvps and regular invites at £2.00 each I think. I would have diy them but my strength is textiles not art so I swiftly scraped that idea! I Was hesitant to pay so much for invites but when we received them I completely understood why they cost a fair amount. Mine are superb and the few I have sent out I have had fantastic feedback for. The work, materials etc that go into them justify the cost. You can get basic invites from places like Clinton cards and paper chase etc

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics