Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner

Invitation Etiquette on Gifts

MAG2FMC, 5 April, 2012 at 13:42 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi everyone!

I am in a major panic. We got our invitations printed and included information concerning gifts and registries -- but I've now just read on several websites that it's very inappropriate to include such information!

The reasons we included this information are that:

1. Because we are moving to the USA (where i'm from) a month or so after the wedding, it makes more sense to have gifts purchased from the USA (due to electronic conversion issues -- can't use a UK toaster in the USA) and mailed to our new address. Also, we have zero storage space at our current location, and it doesn't really make sense to have gifts brought to the wedding only to mail them to the USA the very next day -- and horror of all horrors, risk things getting broken in transit.

2. Because I'm currently in the UK, I won't be having any wedding showers, the invitations for which would've normally include registry information.

3. Because our bridal party and guests are so spread out (and few of them know one another), the word-of-mouth method on registries wouldn't really work.

I should also note that our invites are really casual and fun (http://www.rsvpcandy.com/) and we wrote: "We are registered at X and Y and request that guests wishing to give gifts use these online registries . . . ."

In any event, what are your thoughts? Will I be alienating my guests? Should I get the invites reprinted?!!

Thanks!

3 replies

Latest activity by dimity, 5 April, 2012 at 20:16
  • RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

If you don't include gift registry information on the invites how else are guests going to know what to buy? You could end up with 3 toasters that you can't use!

Every wedding I've ever been invited to had gift list information in it with the exception of my sister who isn't having a gift list & is asking (politely) for contributions towards the honeymoon.

I had friends who are English but living in Oz at the time they got married. Their list was with a local company in Oz & the gifts were delivered to their home when they went back - far better than them having to take them back home with them.

I don't think you need to get the invites reprinted.

As a guest I'd hate not to have a list - I'd much prefer to buy someone something they want!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't be worrying. Every time we mentioned not having a gift list, people asked how they would know what we want. So our invites state the vouchers w ewould like if people want to give a gift, but state clearly we are happy just for people to come to our big day. People do need to know what would be useful for you, so I think its fine to say what youd like.

• D
    Beginner August 2008
    dimity ·
    • Hide content

Don't get them reprinted. IMO not mentioning gift lists is the pinnacle of politeness, but every wedding invitation we've received in the last 15 years (and those to our own wedding!) included gift list info or a request for cash. It's normal, it'll be fine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics