Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Going2theChapel
Beginner March 2013

invitation etiquette question -r.e menu

Going2theChapel, 14 May, 2012 at 20:48 Posted on Planning 0 9

Just a quick one really, I am working on my wedding invites and wondering if including your 'Set' wedding breakfast was the done thing?

Aside from special dietary requirements our venue only offers a chosen, fixed menu so guests wont be given the choice, just what we have tried and tested and chose ourselves (its delicious :o) )

Any help much appreciated

9 replies

Latest activity by Going2theChapel, 14 May, 2012 at 21:34
  • Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

If it is a fixed menu then I wouldnt include the menu in the invites.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We didn't. We asked for dietary requirements on the RSVP then had printed menus on the tables at the wedding breakfast so people knew what they were eating.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't include the menu on the invites unless you have a set of options that you need to guest to choose from.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I think that's pretty normal. I wouldn't put anything on the invitations except asking about dietary requirements. Assume that people who don't state a special requirement will eat anything. Some people I know always choose veggie just because they don't like, for example, beef, and choosing veggie is a way to guarantee they won't be served that. I think most people attending a wedding realise that they won't have much of a choice. If you want a choice, you book a fancy restaurant for a meal out. A wedding is not about food choice, it's celebrating a union of bride and groom Smiley smile

• tybalt
    Beginner April 2012
    tybalt ·
    • Hide content

If they have to choose something from the menu (eg option A, B or C main course, option A or B dessert) then I'd put an insert in. Otherwise no, menus don't go on the invite. Most couples choose their set menu after food tasting sessions and guests don't get a choice!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Same as me, we're having a fixed menu so other than dietry requirements there's nothing we need to know so I'm not planning to include it. Don't want to open ourselves up to 'I don't like that'. May consider adding it to our website as extra info but defo not in the invites.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

What Kharv said.

We have a set menu which we choose from there menu and we only asked for dietary requirments on the RSVP's and then will have menus on the tables (once we have decided what we are having - umm chicken or beef ?!)

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I do not necessarily think it is bad etiquette to not put the set menu in there... however you may be doing the staff/caterers a huge favour on the day......I used to work in hotels and i was shocked how many wedding guests do not understand the concept of a set menu and how rude they can be about it.....

Guest "Excuse me I don't like xxx "

me "i'm sorry sir/madam we are serving a set menu of the bride and grooms choice today"

guest "But that's not good enough i don't like it i want something different wheres the menu"

me "There may be a spare vegetarian option of xxx would you like me to check for you'

guest " no im not vegetarian i want meat"

me i " i shall speak to chef and see if he can make you something special however you will have to wait until the chefs have finished serving the other guests."

When in fact I felt like saying

"Sir/madam the bride and groom have kindly selected and paid for this meal for you why don't you go tell them it is not good enough for you and that you would like them to pay for another alternative meal especially for you and then i will go ask the chefs to stop serving everyone else while they prepare you that special something".

grrrr sorry flash backs i don't miss it LOL

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous! thats what i need to know and yay one less job Smiley smile thanks a bunch

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics