Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner April 2013

Invitation Nightmare - ruined in the post!

beccalou, 6 December, 2012 at 12:51 Posted on Planning 0 16

Ok so my invitations arrived from our stationer and looked amazing, they have an embellishment on the front so OH took them to the Post Office to ask what the best way would be to send them so that they do not get damaged and to ensure that we have paid enough postage for them. He was told that because of the embellishment he would need to send them as large parcel and the best thing to do would be to use stamps so that they do not go through the franking machines. They only had second class stamps so OH stood in the Post Office sticking on the stamps, then queued again to hand them over.

This was yesterday lunchtime. This morning my mum received her invitation:

Sorry this is so large! Luckily my mums door number and postcode were still visible. However, my sister who lives at the same address has not received her invitation. I am now worried that some addresses will have been completely destroyed so will not be delivered or that the invitations will have been ruined! The embellishment on my mums is ruined but the rest of the invitation appears to be ok.

I am so upset! I dont know what to do!

16 replies

Latest activity by matthewstobe, 12 December, 2012 at 20:32
  • Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Oh goodness. Hopefully this is the only one that they have messed up! I would say that as you've posted them second class, give them until next week at least as it can be a few working days before second class items are received from date of posting. How far do you live from your post office; would you be able to ask them what happened? You'd hope that as they'd know not to obscure addresses!

• S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content

That is terrible! I hope this is the only one that has problems. It is impressive if your mum has hers already!! Second class isn't normally that quick so don't worry about your sister not getting hers yet. I would speak to the post office if I were you to complain if it is more than one that is ruined (mistakes do happen so one could be acceptable??)

fingers crossed it is only your mums x

• B
    Beginner April 2013
    beccalou ·
    • Hide content

I am hoping that this one is the only one that is damaged. No one else I have asked has received theirs yet - I am hoping that this is not because the addresses have been ripped off. This one arrived very quickly - as you mentioned normally with second class I would have expected 2-3 days minimum. Maybe they noticed it was damaged in the machine and so they have sped it through?!

I've covered the address in the image but most of it had been removed due to the damage. Luckily the door number and postcode remained so it could still be delivered.

• S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content

I would be inclined to ask people next week if they have received them ok (if people haven't mentioned it first) and if there are issues, complain to Royal Mail.

Keep us updated. Mine also have extra detail on so curious to see if I need to have extra packaging to get them through the post x

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately, this happens often. Your stationer should have advised the best way to send them.

Big embellishments like that, I ALWAYS include reinforcing in the envelopes (heavy cardstock etc) to make sure the embellishment doesn't come through as there is a chance especially in the cold/wet weather that this will happen.

It's SUCH a shame. Hopefully, this will be the only one and the rest will arrive unharmed. I have everything crossed for you.

Nat

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to read about this. Hopefully it's just a one off. Don't worry about them not getting them yet...I sent my Save The Dates out second class...my friends who live in London got theirs two weeks later.

In the meantime, both friends in Belgium and Singapore had received theirs in a week!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Hrmmm.. As mentioned by someone else, I'd have expected better from a professional stationer. For something like an order of service or menu this would be fine, but obviously not for something going through the post. It would have needed 300gsm card envelopes or something, just looking at the size of it! And that would be expensive.

So sorry this happened to you, but reinforces how glad I am I went with something simple. I wouldn't start worrying for quite a while. Just ask close friends and family to let you know if they haven't received them by Christmas.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Have you posted off ALL your invites? If not, I'd add a piece of card over the emellishment, but inside the envelope. This is what I've always seen done when there are parts sticking out- I'm surprised the stationers didnt recommend that as the emellishment is quite large.

I'd wait till next week to see who get their invites. Have you contacted the stationers? You might be able to make a claim with royal mail, but I suspect they'll say that card should have been put over the embellishment & might even blame you for jamming their machiens. I thought all cards went through some sort of rollers & machines at the sorting office, even if they have stamps on them?

Am sorry your mums didnt turn out, but hopefully the rest are ok.

• TheCakeNinja
    TheCakeNinja ·
    • Hide content

Hi, what a shame ☹️

As already stated your stationer should have advised you on this or better still provided you with the correct evelopes or postal boxes. We use this particular embellishment on some of our designs (non stationery) and it is bulky so I personally would have advised a card envelope or postal box to avoid damage. There isnt much you can do now if you have sent them all (other than hope that was a one off) but it may be worth getting back in touch with the stationer if you still have some to post and seeing if they can provide a sturdier envelope for you.

Andrea

• B
    Beginner April 2013
    beccalou ·
    • Hide content

Hi All,

Thank you for your kind words!

My Nanna received hers and she said there was some damage but only to the envelope and the invitation was ok. We've also received an RSVP from one friend so theirs must have arrived and another has contacted me to say how beautiful they are. She has said there was no damage to hers.

I am going to wait until the end of next week to see what damage has been done and then contact the Royal Mail.

Am feeling silly as when I was completing the envelopes I did think the embellishment stuck out a bit. This is why I sent my OH in to the post office for their advice. They said that if he stuck the stamps on then they wouldnt go through the machines and if they were large parcel then again they wouldnt go through the same machines that a normal letter would.

I've sent out all of my daytime invitations and the evening ones will be sent out in the new year. I contacted my stationer to advise what had happened. My thoughts are that some advise should be given, she mentioned that she looked at box envelopes previously but these were £1 per invitation. I would definately paid this to prevent this from happening. The advice would have been helpful but for my particular scenario I blame with the post office as we specifically went in for advice on how we should send them. My main concern is that some of the invitations will not arrive at their destinations, fingers crossed!! x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

In fairness, I think the problem is the fault of the stationer rather than Royal Mail as she should have advised from the outset that this type of design needs extra protection during posting. Even if stamps are stuck on the envelope, they still have to go through their conveyor belt system so anything that juts out in an envelope will get damaged if it's a normal paper envelope. They may have gone through the system OK but when the mail is sorted for the postman, everything is bundled together in street delivery order with rubber bands so they would get squashed in between other mail which will probably have damaged the envelope if it was jutting out. I do hope the others arrive safely for you.

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

I agree not Royal Mail fault

Also put the others in the envelope the other way round then the damage won't destroy the address

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

I've just realised that the embellishment has ripped the envelope ... I thought they'd been stuck on the front of the envelope. I am such an idiot, you can tell I am not used to this sort of stuff ?

In this case, I would do as IceQueen as suggested, if the rest of your invites have not yet been sent.

• M
    Beginner June 2013
    matthewstobe ·
    • Hide content

Hey beccalou,

My fiance made our Save The Dates and they were totally free. We made a video, which was great fun and saved us money. My suggestion is make something similar that will be free and will get around quickly so you don't waste anymore time.

I will post the link below so you can see it. Let me know your thoughts.

xx

• M
    Beginner June 2013
    matthewstobe ·
    • Hide content

Hey beccalou,

My fiance made our Save The Dates and they were totally free. We made a video, which was great fun and saved us money. My suggestion is make something similar that will be free and will get around quickly so you don't waste anymore time.

I will post the link below so you can see it. Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlYuI2GVivc&feature=plcp

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics