Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Barefoot
Beginner August 2012

Invitation wording dilemma

Barefoot, 17 March, 2012 at 17:02 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi there, hope someone can help. We're marrying abroad, then have a UK reception. It's in a village hall, but the hall is actually like a mini stately home from the outside and the inside has the main hall with a huge vaulted ceiling. Absolutely beautiful. And we are having a traditional reception with speeches, cake cutting etc. The only thing guests won't be there for is the ceremony, but if we get the video on time they have the option to see that in a separate room.

So I really really don't want people thinking "oh it's only a village hall and hog roast" and not bother dressing up. We will have a full traditional wedding party, OH Dads and ushers in suits with matching ties, buttonholes etc. Me in my dress. So guests in jeans would upset me (bridezilla, maybe, but there you go).

It's also really hard to ensure people know that just because it's an evening do, they aren't "missing out" on a daytime ceremony.

The wording I have come up with so far is "We're eloping" on the invitation cover, then inside "C... and J..... are getting hitched abroad. Please join them on their return at a reception to celebrate their marriage at Hatton Village Hall on Saturday 18th August 2012"

In the info section I mention timings:

17.00 welcome drinks served 18:00 speeches 19:00 hog roast served 20:00 ceilidh commences – remember to bring your dancing shoes! Carriages at 23.30

(not laid out like that, but you get what I mean)

Is this OK? Would you read this and turn up in jeans and trainers? If so, what else can I put? I KNOW that if I put the venue as a hotel or stately home, with exactly the same info, people would dress up as for a normal wedding, but we can't change the venue name to "Hatton Hall" without sounding VERY pretentious!

Thanks in advance!

11 replies

Latest activity by Barefoot, 17 March, 2012 at 18:36
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I see your dilemna but I would never turn up to a wedding reception in jeans regardless the venue or circumstances. As long as you are sending out formal invites there is nothing to imply that it is any less formal than any other wedding.

Wondering what JoJo's put on hers actually as I think she's doing similar, getting married away but then full reception when she's back.

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

Would anyone really turn up in jeans and trainers for a wedding reception? Even the most informal reception I've been to in a room over a pub everyone made an effort.

I suppose you could change the wording slightly and instead of hog roast say something like 'food will be served at......' - people might think a Hog Roast is a glorified BBQ and will be messy.

• willumino
    Beginner June 2013
    willumino ·
    • Hide content

I definitely wouldn't be turning up in jeans to any kind of wedding party - but maybe you could call it the (delayed) wedding reception or wedding breakfast in the invite so people know you are treating it as as much part of the wedding as the actual ceremony rather than just a party?

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

All you have to do is at the bottom of the invitation put "Dress code formal," "Dress code semi-formal," or "Dress code informal." I would shy away from the last one, as most people don't actually understand that informal dress means a suit for men and cocktail dress for women. Semi-formal means black-tie and evening dress, so it might be the best one to use. Or you could say "Jacket and tie required" and women will generally dress to the same level accordingly.

There is nothing strange about putting a dress code on a wedding invitation. My cousins wedding invite that came last week said "Black tie" in the lower left hand corner.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Also, I don't think "Hatton Hall" sounds pretentious in the slightest.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Hmm well it may be, seeing as Hatton Village Hall is written over the door. I don't know. I'm already referring to the event as our reception, so maybe that will help. I can get word of mouth round most family, I hope. Invitations will be fairly informal purely because I don't want to spend a fortune (Looking at some Z fold ones where we'll do our own artwork) but all will refer to "reception"

This is the venue:

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't personally turn up in jeans and trainers (or let H do it) for any wedding celebration. But if you are worried...

I do think "Hatton Hall" sounds much more formal than "Hatton Village Hall" - to me a village hall is like a church hall, something small and fairly informal, not like what you have described. I can't personally see the problem with using "Hatton Hall", unless everyone knows it as "village hall" and it's obvious you've fudged the name?

Also, rather than inviting people to "a reception", I do think it might be an idea to invite them to "a wedding breakfast followed by evening reception (or evening party)" as this makes it much more clear that you are having a formal event.

I have to say, I don't think most people really know what the particular 'dress codes' are. I admit that if I saw "semi-formal" I would take it to mean casual-ish dress and cardi for me and 'nice' trousers plus casual shirt for H (like a checked one or something). Most people I know wouldn't understand it either. We have had conversations on here where people have said they would feel offended at being told what to wear - not me personally, but some Hitchers. So for that reason, I'd avoid trying to directly say "please dress in a certain way".

• SassyT
    Beginner August 2013
    SassyT ·
    • Hide content

What the other ladies have said, I genuinely can't see anyone coming to a wedding reception in jeans/trainers.

I don't think you have anything to worry about!

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

Could you make it slightly jokey by putting something like "on our return we would love to see you in your gladrags to help us celebrate at our reception"?

• Cakeycase
    Beginner December 2012
    Cakeycase ·
    • Hide content

I'd be very surprised if people turned up in their jeans. ?

The fact that you have used the word 'Reception' in your invitation speaks volumes. It also sounds like a typical wedding reception by mentioning speeches etc.

BTW the venue looks gorgeous! xx

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Yes, maybe. I was going to put something like "get dolled up and bring your dancing shoes" but I hate sounding as if I'm dictating to people. I hope people will be sensible - I mean, the women in my (large, extended) family will dress up, but their menfolk are the type to look for any excuse not to wear a suit. Not that I mind if they're in suits or not, I just dread "oh, ceilidh = barn dance = jeans and checked shirt". Not when I'm in a wedding dress anyway!! maybe I'm worrying about nothing. I'll get on with my next question for you all in a new thread....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics