Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gurzle
Beginner April 2013

Invitation wording question.

Gurzle, 9 December, 2012 at 16:59 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all

I am just drafting our evening invitations. The bar at our venue closes at midnight and so I have included the line "Carriages at midnight", which I think is fairly standard wording for "Sling your hook at 12". Would you assume from this phrasing though, that we were providing carriages/taxis for guests? (We are putting on a coach, but this is for the day guests primarily and they will have been delivered to the venue on it already and are all staying at the same hotel).

13 replies

Latest activity by Tiny-Tiggs, 9 December, 2012 at 23:32
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't but I've used the term when organising events so am familiar with it IYSWIM?

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

This always tells me what time I have to leave, not that you'll be paying for my taxi home ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

ETA, I used the term 'carriages' on my Order of the Day that was given out during the ceremony and had no problems.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Cheers girls - getting invitations printed never fails to make me second guess myself, the day ones took me a bloody age of redrafting until I was convinced they were completely idiot-proof, and even then I managed to forget the RSVP date! Apparently they were not THIS idiot proof...

• Skinnyrock
    Dedicated July 2023 Suffolk
    Skinnyrock ·
    • Hide content

In my invites I am going to give a local taxi company number and write something like the reception ends at 12pm and we would suggest pre booking taxis. This is helpful to guest who aren't staying at the hotel and also informing them that its their own responsibility to sort their transport.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I personally wouldnt know what either of those phrases meant, nor think it meant you were providing a coach!

On reading 'carriages at midnight', I thought it was a subtle way of saying everyone must leave by midnight. I think you need to make it clearer, otherwise guests might drive & assume they need to drive home or book their own taxi. I'd be annoyed if this happened to me because the wording was ambiguous.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It does mean everyone needs to leave by midnight

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I put 'Pumpkins at midnight' in our invitations - I hope nobody was disappointed that we didn't turn into squashes.

Don't worry Gurzle, everyone will know what it means.

• snow-woman
    Beginner April 2013
    snow-woman ·
    • Hide content

I'd know what it means! I've seen it loads of times on black tie work do invites so am familiar with it but knew exactly what it meant the 1st time I saw it.....I also happen to love the fact it reminds me of Cinderella!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks FTLOMB.

I am over thinking things I fear. I'm going to spend my evening reading something that doesn't mention moodboards, floral inspiration or "becoming the best version of you".

Or I might just watch Friday's Corrie....ease myself back in gently... ?

• katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

Hi Gurzle, I hadnt heard of it to be honest - but knew what you meant, I like it so much that im going to steal it for my invitations - Thanks ?

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

I read that and thought it meant you were putting on transport at 12. On mine I just put reception is from 7pm-1am.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I had it on mine - just means *go home*

I don't think anyone would ever think you were laying on transport....

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

I've never seen that expression before. Probably a regional thing. I've never actually seen an end time on an invite before!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics