Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BubblesKM
Beginner October 2014

Invitation wording re kids..... Pls help me

BubblesKM, 5 of April of 2014 at 22:09 Posted on Planning 0 20

We are inviting some kids (my nieces and my god children)

how can I say nicely In our invites that some kids are coming but some aren't????

Xxx

20 replies

Latest activity by ATB, 7 of April of 2014 at 09:42
  • ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

We just said 'no children'. on the invites... and then verbally told relatives if this didn't apply to them!

It keeps it crystal clear on the invites!

We have a couple of children coming, and if anyone says anything about it on the day, I shall politely say "Well that's different, that's my niece".

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Due to venue/capacity restraints, we regret that we are unable to invite children outside of immediate family.

• P
    Beginner August 2014
    parma violets ·
    • Hide content

We will be saying ...... Unfortunately due to space limitations we are only able to accommodate children of the immediate family, who have been named on invitation, we apologise and hope. You are still able to come and share our special day. may get rid of due to space limitations bit. Hope this helps.

• Curlysuzie
    Beginner September 2014
    Curlysuzie ·
    • Hide content

My parents had an invite which said something like: due to the size of the venue we have had to restrict the number of children invited. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

xxx

• P
    Beginner August 2014
    parma violets ·
    • Hide content

Obviously not with all the mistakes!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

'Kids are grim at weddings. We don't want them there.'

or perhaps just saying 'no kids' on the invite and then speaking to the owners of the children you actually want there to tell them is the best bet. There are billions if threads on this subject on hitched. Have a little search and you might find some wording you like.

• BubblesKM
    Beginner October 2014
    BubblesKM ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all Smiley smile xxx

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pahahahaha! If I'd thought of that phrase, I totally would have used it ?

• W
    Beginner June 2014
    WeddingInJune ·
    • Hide content

Is it necessary to say anything?

We've invited some children, of close friends and family...but plenty of other invitees (work friends etc, who we have no relationship with their children) will be invited as the couple only.

We've got invites that say 'X and X request the pleasure of the company of ____________' - with space to hand write the name. So we've just written who the invite is to. Some say 'Paul, Mary, Joseph and Evie' (for instance), some just clearly to 'Paul and Mary', with the same names on the envelope.

• Z
    Beginner June 2014
    Zoe2326 ·
    • Hide content

We have literally just put the exact name of who is invited on the invitation therefore if a work colleague it says ie:Tom and Shelly (with no children's name) and if family member it has both adult and child's name ie Tina, Paul and Jack. X

• C
    Beginner October 2014
    catnor ·
    • Hide content

This i what I planned to do. However a guest phoned me in the week to say they had booked a family room in advance before my invites have even gone out. Grrrrr.

• C
    Beginner October 2014
    catnor ·
    • Hide content

This i what I planned to do. However a guest phoned me in the week to say they had booked a family room in advance before my invites have even gone out. Grrrrr.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tell them to unbook it. Cheeky buggers.

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content

We are not inviting kids as a rule, but there will be some kids there (mainly immediate family and godchildren) - I think we are going to say something like this:

"Much as we would love to, we are unfortunately unable to invite all of our guests’ children to the wedding due to the limited capacity of the venue. Thanks for your understanding. Hopefully you will appreciate an excuse to take the day off!"

The sentiment is genuine - I'd love to have all our friends' kids there, but we worked out that that would add about 40 extra bodies (we coupled off a lot later than most of our friends, so nearly all have 2+ kids by now) and we simply can't fit them in.

I'd rather say this upfront so there is no confusion, and we don't have the awkward situation of someone accepting on behalf of whole family because they just assume the kids are also invited (this has happened to people I know)

We are making exceptions for tiny babies who are still being breastfed, and to people who are travelling from abroad to attend the wedding. Not sure whether to specify that of just contact the people affected directly.

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

We are having some children (we have two of our own!) but not others due to numbers. I wasn't going to say bathing and just write on the invitation the names of those invited, but I'm thinking maybe I need to now. Surely if I put 'Adam and Kate are invited to...' they wouldn't assume that Little Jonny was too?! It's only cousins kids so maybe I'll just tell him.

• BubblesKM
    Beginner October 2014
    BubblesKM ·
    • Hide content

This is why I need to put it on the invite, some people assume their kids are invited! Xx

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

I'd add that we said 'no children', and only put the names of the exact invited people on the invitations (ie. adults), and still got one person suddenly mentioning their children were coming. We corrected them that it's no children.

They then re-asked us if they could bring their children a month later, as if they were perhaps hoping we'd changed our minds?!?!?!

Lol - we did not succumb to the pressure, and said it was still 'No'.

There'll always be one, eh?!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is perfect. Don't assume people will just 'get' it. Some won't so you have to be clear to avoid awkward conversations. We've had people inviting along their partners when we've written the invitation just to them.

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    LRsoontobeLH ·
    • Hide content

When we sent out our STDs for those of my friends with kids I followed it up with a quick text saying "hope it arrived ok! We're really sorry but we won't be having kids at the wedding, thought you would all like a night off so make sure you get Grandma booked in for some babysitting!" or something along those lines. For family we just mentioned it to various family member for the information to be passed around! We don't have kids or any nieces or nephews so the only exception we are having is a friend who will be having a baby just a couple of months before the wedding, they are travelling from the other end of the country and I wouldn't expect her to not bring him (although she was very sweet and said she didn't expect him to be invited too!) but we've given them a room at the venue to make it a bit easier for them on the day too!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'm printing my invitations out individually for each person. I've spoken to my friends with kids and said they weren't invited. Some have been great and said they weren't bringing them anyway, as they were having a day off and only one is having a strop, said she wasn't coming if she couldn't bring her child. I then said that was fine and she backtracked. So all those people will just be getting the couple's names.

MF's mum says I've to put in bold writing on one of their relations invitation that children are not invited, even if I put only adult couple's names they would bring their two horrible children (her words). Some people are so rude.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics