Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Loopz
Beginner March 2013

Invitations and Menus

Loopz, 31 May, 2012 at 07:49 Posted on Planning 0 9

We met with our caterers for the first time last night (which was great and made everything seem even more real Eeeek), but they said that they don't generally do tastings until 3 months before the wedding!!!! Our wedding is March, so this would be Dec which is out because they are ridiculously busy with Christmas etc. Therefore they suggested the second/third week in January! I said it was too late, so we agreed on November.

However, we wanted our invitations to go out in September with a November RSVP (to avoid Christmas and because we have to book any accommoadation by the end of December for our guests). Therefore we wouldn't be able to put the menu in the invitations.....does this seem a bit odd to any of you? Would you be put off if your day invite didn't include what the options were for the wedding breakfast? I really don't want to double my stamp costs and put it in the post later either. I was thinking maybe a reply on a wedding website where people can then indicate the food they would like, but worry about the older generations/technophobs!

WWYD?

9 replies

Latest activity by SarahThompson, 31 May, 2012 at 18:44
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I dont think it is the norm to include the menu unless you need your guests to make a choice of of several options so you can let your caterer know in advance.

• prettywild
    prettywild ·
    • Hide content

A majority of my invitation orders don't require menus included but usually have an RSVP card with a line asking the guest if they have any special dietary requirements. The menus are usually only ordered as table stationery.
    Menus are only included if the guests have to make a choice before the wedding (which doesn't occur very often). Here's some examples where I included the menu choices with corresponding tick boxes on the RSVP…

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

I asked for dietary requirements and said that the wedding breakfast would be Salmon and Lamb and to ask for a vegetarian alternative to either of those if preferred. I didn't specify what said alternative was or the exact details of the menu.

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Munstermad ·
    • Hide content

We will have the very same situation Loopz. We're getting married in Aug 2013 but want to send the invites in February as at least half of our guests will be travelling and want to give plenty of notice so people can book flights and hotels before they get too expensive.

So if we need our invitations ready in January to prepare we may need to do our menu tasting in October (if we use a stationer) or November (if we DIY). Seems ridiculous as does choosing your meal six months in advance if you are a guest but like you I don't want to do 2 mailings...

I'd be inclined to insist that the caterer do an earlier tasting for you, there is a better chance of getting the required information if part of the RSVP than if you request the 2 separately. Sure, there will be people you'll be chasing up for both but at least you won't have to chase the people who do RSVP on time for more information.

I can just see our wedding co-ordinator laughing at me when I get in touch to arrange our tasting ?

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

We haven't included the menu in our invites. All we have done is ask for any dietary requirements so guests can indicate if they are allergic to something etc. Other than that, they get what they are given! I've never had the menu in any invite I've been given, I've just had the menu on the table on the day.

• M
    Beginner
    MAG2FMC ·
    • Hide content

I think it's unnecessary to include the menu. If you're expecting to have multiple types of meat options, you can just ask them if they prefer beef/chicken/fish/lamb, or if they're vegetarian/vegan, or have any special dietary requirements. I don't think you need to include the exact menu.

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    karencollett ·
    • Hide content

We're in the situation where we have had to send out menu options in our invites (which went over a month ago) yet we dont have a tasting until 10-12 weeks before. I think its easier this way as the guest have picked their own meals from the few things we sounded good and the tasting im seeing as me and OH deciding which we want (it all sounds yummy to us!)

If we'd been having to pick one meal for everyone then i would just have not mentioned it other than asking for dietry requirements as everyone else has said. That said the last invite we required did specify the main course was going to be chicken but no details other than that....

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful!

All the invitations we have has over the past year have had the menu in, so I was panicking, but it it's normal to just ask them to indicate dietry requirements that's cool. *sigh of relief*

We know which of our guests will be fussy too, so if it's not something they will like, we can tell them nearer the time and arrange something with the caterers. Think I just panicked!!

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it is necessary to include a menu choice with your invitation. You could put that when they RSVP they need to indicate if there is any dietary requirements as has been suggested, but I think you need to leave it at that for the moment.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics