Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner

Invitations and reply cards

me87, 4 May, 2011 at 19:35 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker but first time poster!

Getting married in September and it's all been going well so far. But something's niggled me today which is frustrating!

We had our invitations printed and I was really pleased with them. We decided not to include reply cards, for a number of reasons really - additional cost, my parents said that it's only a recent phenomenon and that traditionally you don't, and that some of their most treasured memories of their wedding are the cards and letters people wrote RSVPing,

The family invitations all went out a few weeks ago and as my mum predicted, we've had some really lovely cards and letters which we'll love to keep. The ones which went out over the weekend were the rest which are all to friends. I did envisage that it might be a bit more difficult getting RSVPs out of friends but I don't mind doing a bit of chasing if necessary. However, today my OH received a call from one of his friends, informing us that we had forgotten to put a reply card in with his invitation, and that he'd also checked with another guest and we'd forgotten to put one in theirs too. OH told him that we weren't doing reply cards and that the idea was that he writes a short note or card (hell, you can even buy specific wedding acceptance cards in WH Smith) to my parents RSVPing. Apparently the friend was incredibly shocked by this and quite put out! I mean, I know most people do include reply cards these days, but it is a fairly recent phenomenon and I got invited to a wedding a couple of years ago where there wasn't one - how hard is it to write a short note or card?! I'm also pretty peed off that the 'friend' felt the need to call and point out our "mistake" - not exactly the polite thing to do if it was a mistake.

Am I being unreasonable? I know reply cards probably would have been easier for people, but is it so much to ask to write a note when we're forking out how much for you to come to our day?

Grr, glad to have got that off my chest!

14 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsRon, 5 May, 2011 at 17:08
  • D
    Beginner February 2012
    Dani1984 ·
    • Hide content

I can not believe how rude that person was! we have included rsvp for the day but only because they were already in the price for the pocket fold i would not have paid otherwise and have not paid for rsvp for the evening invites!

There are plenty of places that now stock reply cards for people to buy,

I know people who have included reply cards and they still haven't had them back! the delights of guests

xx

• CardiffInvitations
    CardiffInvitations ·
    • Hide content

Hi

It is certainley not a requirement and they are right, it is a recent phenomenon. The 'friend' is the one that is out of order.

I didn't include them and i loved getting all the replies, some people even made RSVP cards and I have kept them all.

Anna

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

We decided to have matching RSVP's for our guest's but only because we thought it would be a nice touch. Saying that though we had an invite through the door the other day where there was no RSVP card inside so this weekend I will be popping to my local card factory to pick up an RSVP to post on Monday.

TBH the way I see it is that we have all made an effort to send out invitations would it not hurt for our guests to pick up an RSVP should one not be provided.

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

Certainly didn't have them the first time I got married.

The thing about weddings is they are based upon etiquette and people's bad manners sadly become only too apparent! How incredibly rude of your 'friend' to phone you like that!

Like you say you are forking out a fortune to feed and entertain this guest and include him in one of the most important days of your life, yet he struggles to buy a card!

I think I would be uninviting someone like that! (if you can do such a thing! In reality I would probably just grumble about it but his card would be marked!

xxx

• M
    Beginner
    me87 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm glad it's not just me being silly. Having said that all the wedding planning does seem to have the effect of making me get worked up about things, in some ways I can't wait for it all to be over and for us just to be married!

x

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I said this to O/H last night. I will be so glad once the day is here knowing everything is paid for and organised x

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to hitched!

I think the "friend" in question is rude and cheeky. We have not sent our invites out yet, but we are not including rsvp cards and were thinking we will get a couple of cards back, mainly from the older generation of both families and either yes/no answers from word of mouth or via our website from other family members and friends.

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

That is so rude of that person!! We're sending out our invites in the next couple of weeks (i'm a september bride too) but we're not going to put in RSVP cards as i want people to do it themselves and yes i want to keep them in a little keep sake box!!!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

He he, I would forgive the friend his rudeness in favour at laughing at his thickness - surely you'd realise that if two people didn't get RSVP cards, there might be a pattern here?

You are not being unreasonable in the slightest.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We made rsvp cards to go in with our invites complete with stamped, addressed envelope (so literally all people had to do was tick a yes or no, give any dietary requirements, and stick it in a postbox), but still haven't had them all back yet several months after our (admittedly early) reply date, so even putting them in doesn't guarantee you'll get replies out of people - be prepared to chase some people several times before you get an answer.

I agree, the friend was rude - certainly it might have been in order to ask "did you forget" or "have I lost the card" but to gripe because there wasn't one? Silly.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I'd tend to agree - if no reply mechanism is provided, then it isn't a huge amount of effort to get a little card and send it - or these days it's probably quite acceptable to just phone/email and say "I'm coming, do you need a formal response"?

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Your "friend" is bang out of order. Over the last two years, I've had 17 wedding invitations and I'd say only about half included RSVP cards. However easy you make it, as AJ said, you won't get them all back.

I, for one, like going to Clinton Cards and buying a little Wedding Acceptance card. Then again, I like sending cards. Hell, even when I have an RSVP card provided, I sometimes put it in a little blank card so that I can write a note to go with it. OH is not much one for cards, so would probably email, if an email address was provided.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

No offence to the blokes out there but I'm completely flabbergasted that a man even realised that invitations ever come with an RSVP LOL

My OH doesn't care about that kind of thing and thinks I'm weird when I get excited about receiving wedding invites

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics