Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bamboo
Beginner September 2014

Invitations - dress code etiquette

bamboo, 14 of February of 2014 at 01:43 Posted on Planning 0 11

I've read that you shouldn't write the dress code on your invitation cards unless it's specific and unusual. I'm in the process of wording out my invites and would like to mention the dress code on some invites.

Some background information that may be needed:

We're both Chinese families.

I don't need to inform my family since they have all been to Western weddings and know weddings are normally a formal affair.

We're having the first Western wedding in my partner's entire family (aunt's, uncles, cousins, siblings).

My partner's family already know what to wear because their children have been to weddings.

The problem is that my FIL and MIL will be inviting Chinese friends who have never been to a Western wedding and what they wear to Chinese banquets/weddings is very different. Unless you're a family member, Chinese guests don't really dress up and I have seen many wear jeans, leggings with denim skirts, uggs, casual t shirts, trainers, vest tops, combats etc.

Would it be rude for me to write on the invitations that there's a formal dress code? I don't know if they are aware of this and if it's something I need to advise them on.

In case I'm sounding like a bridezilla, I'm not expecting them to wear a tuxedo, but at least wear a smart shirt, shoes and trousers (if they're a male), and wear whatever looks smart for females.

11 replies

Latest activity by **Claire**, 15 of February of 2014 at 14:48
  • J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

I don't think that's rude at all. Totally understandable given the circumstances.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

How abooout 'lounge suits and party frocks' or 'lounge suits and cocktail dresses'. put it on all invites though - less complicated.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Could your FIL and MIL not have a word with them in private about dress code as opposed to you having to put it in the invitations when you don't know them as well?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I think it's fine to put guidance if culturally people may not be used to the kind of wedding you're throwing!

We've put a 'what to wear' on our website because we don't want a formal do - it says "Come as yourself. If that means wearing a 4 foot tall fascinator and 12 inch stilettos (lads) or a pair of converse and some cargo pants (girls), then that’s fine by us. You’ll be outdoors and in the sunshine so the most important thing is that you are able to relax and enjoy yourself."

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I think that in this circumstance it's up to the FIL and MIL to speak to the members of their family and their friends and gently advise that it's a more formal affair than they are used to.

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

I think its fine to write something on there to guide them especially considering the circumstances.

If you didn't want to write something so formal you could just write 'Dress to impress' But this totally depends on the tone of your invites! xx

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I would write it on the invitations but I would write it on all of them, not just the ones you aren't sure about - that way, no offence is taken ?

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

I have a friend who is Chinese and this happened to her at her western wedding. Half of the guests looked smart and half didn't. i think quite a few people felt awkward that they stood out. I think it's fine to put a dress code on and means that guests won't have to worry about what to wear.

x

• emma.b
    emma.b ·
    • Hide content

No, it is not rude. I would write it on my invitation and also speak with most of my quest to prepare themselves and their quests to wear smart outfits.

• bamboo
    Beginner September 2014
    bamboo ·
    • Hide content

This is what I'm worried about and the fact that it won't look nice in photos.

Beginner April 2014
    **Claire** ·
    • Hide content

Looking at it the other way, I wouldn't be offended if I was invited to a Chinese wedding and was told (on the invite or in person) that most people would be dressing casual. I'd hate to stick out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics