Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner September 2015

Invite drama

N is getting married, 12 of January of 2015 at 17:35 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all,
Would like a bit of advice please
We are getting married 12/09 and have 107 max capacity for venue.
My brother and wife have 2 children together and she has 3 girls from a previous relationship who go to their dads every weekend.
We initially didn't want children At wedding but have decided the kids need to be involved however do I have to invite her 3 girls ? I would rather not if I'm honest but don't want to upset any one.
We are not putting children on any invites as would rather it be child free but do understand thAt some children need to come. Advice would be lovely. Ps I'm not a child hater just spaces are so tight.

5 replies

Latest activity by *CrazyCatLady*, 13 of January of 2015 at 13:19
  • Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think it has to be all or none. Especially as the 3 girls live with your brother the majority of the time.

I have a child from a previous relationship and would be devastated if H2B's family were to exclude him or treat him differently in any way to our own (future) children.

Probably not really what you wanted to hear but hope it helps.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

You can't invite some but not all the children from one family. As far as the children are concerned, these three girls are half-sisters to your brother's children. They are a family, and should therefore be treated as such.

• Cache13
    Beginner August 2015
    Cache13 ·
    • Hide content

I think you should only because they live with her the majority of the time.

We aren't inviting my future sister in law's boyfriends two kids as they only see them at weekends, and my OH and I see them once a year at most.

• N
    Beginner September 2015
    N is getting married ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all, you are right we need to do the right thing.

• L
    Beginner May 2016
    littleredfairy ·
    • Hide content

All or nothing. Though perhaps you could give them a role, or for those who are not immediate family state you cannot extend the invitation. That is how we are getting round it. Less children but we are only having other half's niece and nephew (as they are in bridal party) and feeding babies. Maybe say something like that, with the exception of your nieces and nephews (in theory they are step nieces but in this case they would defo like to be classed as the same), you cannot extend the invite to other children, except newborns or small babies. Worked for my friends and we are taking same approach

Beginner March 2015
    *CrazyCatLady* ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the situation, for example my sister just started living with a guy who she's only known for a few months. He has 2 children from a previous relationship but I've only met them a handful of times and they live with their mum mostly. On the other hand, my brother was married and had children with his (now ex) wife and she had a child from a previous relationship. I've known her since she was 2, she is now 11, and she is one of my 'junior' BMs.

I guess it depends on your relationship with them, but I think it could be very upsetting for them and their mum if they weren't invited.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics