Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2017

Invite old friends I haven't seen/spoken to in years?

lucyjo, 8 of February of 2016 at 13:40 Posted on Planning 0 10

Where do people stand on inviting old friends you haven't seen or spoken to for ages? I read somewhere that if you haven't been in touch with them in the last two years, you don't need to invite them, even if you went to their wedding.

There are several people whose weddings I went to two, three, six years ago, who I've only had the bare minimum of contact with since. Like, one text message, or the odd 'like' on something I posted on Facebook. To me, that really doesn't seem enough to count as 'being in touch' with someone, especially when they never reply to my messages to them or meet me halfway on any attempt to catch up. It's obvious that they don't have time for our friendship any more - which is fair enough, as people do drift apart - but what if they just assume they're invited because they asked me to theirs?? Awkward! We really want our day to be a special celebration with our nearest and dearest, so we definitely don't want any fairweather friends on the guest list who we'll never see again after the big day.

We haven't announced our engagement outside of our families yet, so these people don't even know a wedding is on the cards yet. When they find out they might not even give a stuff, which is fine by me! But I guess I just wondered if anyone else had/is having any experience of this...?

10 replies

Latest activity by soraneko, 10 of February of 2016 at 22:41
  • R
    Beginner January 1999
    RomanticPinkStationery290 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I wouldn't invite them. Why should you spend money on people you are not close to? Ok you went to theirs but your friendship has changed since then. You don't have much contact so who cares if they don't like it?

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I guess it depends...

I'm planning on inviting a couple of my Uni friends who I haven't really seen in the last couple of years, but we comment on FB stuff occasionally...

I might also invite my childhood bestie and her family. We lost touch for a while, reconnected and lost touch again, but I'd like them at the evening if possible.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

If you dont see them and don't speak to them I wouldn't bother. People move on. When you went to theirs you were closer. Your wedding isn't a day you will have much chance to have a catch up at all. Also people change. You have no idea really what these people are like now. Maybe you have I don't know. Anyway I would invite people you are close to now. If you want to catch up maybe do it first without mentioning the wedding, then decide. I wouldn't invite someone I had no contact with just because I went to theirs when circumstances have now changed.

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I'd invite them. I have a couple of uni friends who I haven't seen for a few years coming to our wedding but we still talk fairly regularly. All of our other friends that are coming are people we still see often.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Personally I wouldn't. If you haven't seen them in the last few years, what are the chances you'll see them in the next few? If you don't see yourself hanging out with them again, I wouldn't bother inviting them. Maybe an evening invitation if you'd like to make a gesture, and who knows it might spark up a friendship again Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    Mrswilltobe17 ·
    • Hide content

I personally wouldn't invite them, you ultimately have to think of the cost and I don't think an occasional like on FB warrants a wedding invite. I think you should invite the people you're closest to, they're who really matter xx

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone else. I wouldn't invite them or at least don't mention an invite to them for a while.

We didn't really think it through long enough before sending STDs and now we are having second thoughts about some of the people we sent them to but it's a bit late now!

• D
    Beginner February 2016
    Dolce Gusto ·
    • Hide content

Don't invite them, save the invites for people who matter in your life right now.

Also, don't worry about any awkwardness. If you never see them, how will it be awkward?

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't invite them either, as others have said, your lives have changed since you were a guest at their weddings. However, if you aren't comfortable not inviting them at all, perhaps you could just invite them in the evening?

• Anna Zofka Photography
    Anna Zofka Photography ·
    • Hide content

I invited some of my high school friends whom I have seen literally 3 times in the last 10 years. Two out of three made it and I was really happy they did. I may not see them very often now, but they were once very close to me. That being said Anna didn't feel like this about her old friends, so I guess it just depends. If you WANT them to be at your wedding then you should invite them, but if you feel that maybe you just SHOULD invite them, but you're not really bothered whether they are going to come or not, then I wouldn't bother.

Just my opinion ?

Andy

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

I've only invited half of my friends from uni, because the other half I didn't REALLY get along with and used to make a lot of life about them... I'm all for keeping it to those you really care about / want to see Smiley smile I get that it might be awkward inviting people who invited you to theirs, but not as awkward as inviting them to yours and not being sure why on the day

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics