Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

JenCTR
Beginner May 2017

Inviting guests from 400 ish miles away to just evening do?

JenCTR, 21 of April of 2015 at 19:43 Posted on Planning 0 12

Is it rude to expect them to come all that way just for the evening do?

I will be having a BBQ the next day at my mums (5 minutes from venue) as a second chance to see everyone again, and to make it a worthwhile trip for at away guests.

If if it was just a couple of them I'd have them all day, but after plus ones, it will end up about 20 +of them from this group of friends, and I'm only having 50 tops during the day!

thinking they could make a weekend of it, do something during the day, I'll make the evening do start as early as possible, getting married in May so plenty light till well past 9pm to enjoy grounds etc.... Am I being unreasonable? And do I just go ahead with it and absolutely not be offended if they don't want to come because of arrangement?

12 replies

Latest activity by elvira-darkside, 24 of April of 2015 at 08:01
  • pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't go all that way for an evening reception, don't be offended if people don't come as those who matter will be there x

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's rude to expect them, but it is more likely that they will send a polite refusal. We did have a couple of guests who came the distance, but they chose to come to just the reception and not to the wedding itself to which they were also invited. Just to clarify, we had our wedding on a monday and the reception the following saturday. We also had several guests who sent cards but didn't come due to distance.

Be prepared for them to say no, after all - it is a long way to come for a party and whatever you do, do not take offence.

• heli-c
    Beginner October 2015
    heli-c ·
    • Hide content

I'd still invite them just be prepared for a few refusals! Maybe have a chat to them as well and say that if they do want to join you then there are hotels if they want to stop the weekend. Are you going straight off on your honeymoon? If not you could arrange to do something with them?

If I were invited to an evening reception that was a fair distance it would really depend on a few factors of whether or not I'd attend. How close of a friendship do we have? Are there hotels near by? Do I have the money for a hotel for the weekend? Have I got other commitments at home etc.

You know your friends/family best. I don't think anyone would be offended at you sending them an invite if they cannot attend. But some people might be offended if you assume they aren't coming and don't send an invite!!

• JenCTR
    Beginner May 2017
    JenCTR ·
    • Hide content

I would never be offended if they declined.

we're car people, and we drive up and down the country to see eachother at car shows and meets, so I'm hoping they would maybe see this as another excuse to pull the good cars out of winter hibernation and go for a jolly! I've just been down there for one of their birthdays, so I'm thinking it will work both ways... But I don't really know wedding invitation etiquette!

id rather ask and be declined, than not ask at all. There's potentially 2 / couples who I would like to be there all day, but the rest would be evening guests only.

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

H2b's childhood friend group is from Newcastle, and we now live in Manchester. One of the group got married in a very small civil ceremony in London, and all the friends got an evening-only invite. We found a cheap hotel in London where we could sleep 5 to a room to cut down cost, and travelled down. No-one was offended and no-one was phased by it. I wouldn't worry about it at all if I were you!

• L
    Curious October 2015
    LeedsWR ·
    • Hide content

Invite them to what you want, try to forget the distance (as hard as it is). The BBQ is a great idea and that makes the visit (even more!) worthwhile for those who are going a distance. We've gone to evening-only invites that have been a distance away, we've just made sure to make a weekend of it! If people don't/can't come then that's unfortunate but I wouldn't spend your time worrying about it.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

Are you having a church wedding? If they make a weekend of it, like you said in another post, could they pop in to the ceremony so they're there for more than just the evening?

Personally I would invite them anyway and be prepared for some to decline, but at least you asked. I would also invite the 2 to the day that I wanted to.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I would go ahead and invite them, I did this with a couple of relatives that I knew wouldnt travel to my wedding, and they really appreciated the token plus also they cant pull the pushed out card if they had the option.

Whether I would travel, it would have to be nice weather be near somewhere else that I'd want to visit during the saturday day time, what laurafish said it would be nice to be invited to just the ceremony even if I couldnt go to the breckfast.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

As the others have said, invite them but be prepared for people to decline. I'd only travel that distance for an evening do if it was a really close friend.

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    misslynx ·
    • Hide content

I have a similar problem but fortunately with just one couple so I am inviting them to the day.

Another idea is you could say they would be welcome to attend the day celebrations but would need to cover the cost themselves?

Depends how well you know them/how comfy you are talking about money, but it is always a something to consider

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

We invited people from Aberdeen and Cornwall to our after wedding party in North Yorkshire, which was ten days after our wedding fully expecting them to decline - they didn't. They came and stayed over and were just delighted to be invited. I would invite everyone you would like to come but just prepare for people, near or far, to decline as is their prerogative.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    squid2015 ·
    • Hide content

Could you organise/ suggest something during the day for them to do before they join you in the evening? Is there a track nearby where they could take the cars, or a theme park?

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

Id be honoured to receive an invite to any part, even if i couldnt make it. we had one recently to an evening do in london (we are newcastle), and although we didnt attend the invite was most appreciated. some of our far flung guests will get evening invite only. it feels wrong to upgrade them to day simply because of their location. it would mean moving closer friends (in the emotional sense) to evening.

ive even received a skype invite before (and was not offended!), these were friends who couldnt invite everyone they wanted (we all know what that is like here!). they skyped their wedding to 'invited guests'. it was fun!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics