Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner April 2019

Inviting people to your hen do not invited to Wedding?

HappyOrangeHair17089, 22 of December of 2017 at 00:18 Posted on Planning 0 1

Hello all,

So basically I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on inviting people to Your hen do that potentially won’t be going to your wedding?

Bit of background, H2B and I don’t want a terribly big fuss as we don’t like too much attention and ther for example have decided to keep it super small and intimate with Just 22 people including us. This gives us 10 each plus ourselves. My immediate family and bridesmaids take up my ten. I have quite a few girlfriends that I would LOVE to invite, I have been friends with for years and do care for but don’t talk to as often and as closely as my bridesmaids. I’ve said we can make up for it at the hen do though which I’m not sure what will be planned that will be up to my bridesmaids.

I’ve been made aware that it’s really strange to invite people to your hen do/expect them to pay out money if they are not getting a wedding invite. It’s not because I don’t want them there or I don’t value their friendship, but with only have 10 spaces and it’s taken up by my immediate family and bridal party we potentially don’t have space.

I am not sure if I’ve completely missed the mark here and been rude in suggesting my group of girlfriends come to my hen do but won’t be at the wedding or if it’s a good way for them to be party of the celebrations. I understand maybe not being able to afford a hen weekend away or being disappointed at not being at the wedding but I guess if my friends were having such a tiny wedding I’d just be happy to be part of their celebrations regardless but maybe it’s unfair to think others would feel the same.

FYI we thought about throwing a big party for everyone else to come to after the wedding. Just wondered what everyone thought in these circumstances above?

Thanks in advance ? xx

1 replies

Latest activity by Paula @ Ollievision, 27 of December of 2017 at 01:01
  • S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

To me this depend on the hen do:

if its like a local 'piss up' where you go from bar to bar or having a house party and people can drop in and out with no obligation to spend money then I think an open invite is fine - this use to be common and happens a lot with work friends etc...

if its an expensive weekend away or activity then it should be wedding guest only as you are requiring them to pay to be a part of it

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I guess the issue for your friends is that you are the person who created the limit on guest numbers for the wedding. If you wanted them at the wedding you could have just booked a wedding they could attend. So I see where people are coming from if they say it's strange to want a big hen do.

Under the circumstances it might be best to keep the hen do small because if you say you created a small wedding as "you don't like too much attention" then book a big hen do it might cause more bad feelings.

One way around it would be to have a party for everyone after the wedding so they can all celebrate with you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics