Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner

Inviting work colleagues to wedding - giving invites etiquette

Wifeysoontobe, 6 October, 2010 at 09:05 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi All,

My OH and I are planning to invite our work colleagues to our wedding reception. He works in a small office so he is planning to invite them all, whereas I work in a big office (over 60 people) and therefore are planning to invite those who I closely work with (and get on with) only. I have read that it's distasteful to give invites to your colleagues at work and therefore should post them to their home addresses (which is a must in my case, as I'm inviting some and not others so don't want to annoy anyone unnecessarily!) which I completely understand and agree with. Herein lies my problem.

Some of the colleagues I want to invite I don't have their home addresses and I feel a bit funny asking for their address personally as it seems a bit rude. The only other option is to get their address off the employee database which I have access to, but I feel is a bit immoral!

Has anyone else got round this problem? Giving invites at work is not an option, as I don't want to upset anyone more than I have to as I know I'm going to get grief from those I do not invite!

Wifeysoontobe x

4 replies

Latest activity by Pheonix, 6 October, 2010 at 12:55
  • M
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs A to B ·
    • Hide content

Cant you send an email to the ones you want to invite asking for thier address?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We both had a similar problem.

We didn't invite everyone. It just isn't practical.

Most work colleagues are invited to ceremony, and evening reception. Only close friends and family are invited to the wedding breakfast so everyone else gets a few hours spare time inbetween - which we don't see as a problem really.

You could say to everyone else they're welcome to attend your service but you're sorry that due to budget/capacity/whatever reason they aren't able to be invited to the rest of the celebrations.

Just because you work with someone doesn't mean that a) they are actually what you'd consider a friend, and b) they have an automatic invite to bring themselves, their partner and families along to your big day especially if you've never met them.

If people get uppity because they aren't invited... then they've justified why you didn't invite them.

For work colleagues I just put their name on the invite packs and handed to them discretely on the same morning. It doesn't matter if you don't know their home addresses really.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Wifey - I think you're right in posting out the invitations. There's something really lovely about something as exciting as a wedding invitation dropping on your door mat.

Do NOT get their details off of the database. This is an invasion of their privacy, is likely to break numerous company rules about use of and secure storage of data and could land you in a while heap of trouble.

It strikes me a little odd that you would find it rude to ask for their addresses, if you consider them to be close enough friends to invite to your wedding. If i were in your position, I'd drop them a short email to say you'd like their addresses so you may send them an invitation to your wedding but ask for their discretion as you cannot afford/want/accommodate the sheer numbers of people at your work place.

Good luck!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I agree with cricketbride, if theyr close enough friends to invite, then asking for their address' over email should be an issue should it? Im sure theyl love that youve asked!!!

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

I work in a team of 25, 14 in my office and I feel guilty but I don't want to invite them. Everyone who has gotten married in our team has invited everyone to the day or evening. I work with two of my closest friends and they are bridesmaids and a couple of other people from diff areas of the company have been invited but I just dont understand why I should invite people to my wedding that I wouldn't invite to my birthday! However I may cave I've got a while...

I think as others have said if you drop them a mail then they'll be really happy you want them there, I know I would.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics