Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2017

Involving the mother of the groom in planning

SurreyBridetoBe, 10 of July of 2017 at 10:02 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi,

Just a quick one.. it's come to light that my FMIL is annoyed that she's not involved in wedding planning, and is feeling left out. Truthfully, I'm super organised and have really loved organising the wedding myself, and my sister (also my maid of honour) is an art teacher and really great help too. Between the two of us, we've basically done everything, so haven't needed a lot of help, but I do need to find some way to include her at this late stage..

Thought it would be interesting to see what you all did.. How have you made your FMIL feel involved in wedding planning, or have you also found yourselves in similar situation to me?

Thanks!

3 replies

Latest activity by Bacchant, 12 of July of 2017 at 12:18
  • H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

I have a similar issue with my FMIL, as my OH is her only child, it has been requested that I involve her and make her feel special.

The problem is, that I'm extremely practical and have already planned most things, so I just have little chats with her about things, let her know what's going on and ask her opinions, what do you think of these flowers, this is what my bridesmaids dresses look like, show her the wedding book etc. Is there anything small you can do with her? Like invitations or favours or something?

I'm also planning on taking her shopping for her outfit to make her feel special for the day.

Sometimes it's just the little things x

• Montysmum
    Beginner March 2018
    Montysmum ·
    • Hide content

I have a similar issue. I took mine to my first dress appointment and now I just send her a regular whatsapp asking her opinion on little things (in all honesty i've usually made up my mind but if it helps her feel involved all the better!).

I also found that when I asked her for help on little things for "on the day" she was made up. I've only asked her to do little things like make sure the guestbook gets signed and stuff but shes loving life.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

If she can bake it may be worth asking her to make the wedding cake. I don't normally recommend amateur cake makers for weddings, but when the mums tackle the cake it's been very well done to a professional standard. I think mums can make excellent work of a wedding cake.

That would give her something to do for months (they go to classes to learn cake decorating!) and it would be her show piece on the day.

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

I tried to involve my MIL but a lot of the time she was trying to talk me out of my ideas!!

I went with her for my dress fittings, and she stored my veil and collected my dress from the shop. We did ask if she wanted to do a grooms cake but she declined.

Have you got transport booked? My friend let her MIL sort transport and gave her complete control of it, and she ended up with a proper cinderella style horse and carriage. Or if you have some DIY stuff to do you could have a 'crafternoon' where she comes round to help?

I also let me MIL get ready with me the morning of, it was an extra £80 but I think she really liked it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics