Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner May 2014

Ipod wedding

Chocobo, 6 May, 2013 at 22:02 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hello guys,

I love music, i mean i LOVE music its what im all about, but i have been thinking why should i pay £600 for a simple DJ set up?

I was looking into the idea of having a IPOD wedding but then i dont really know how that would work? has anyone ever been to one or know anything about them?

thanks guys!

17 replies

Latest activity by Sandysounds, 7 May, 2013 at 19:28
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

That sentiment doesn't really fit with someone who would have an iPod wedding...

• C
    Beginner May 2014
    Chocobo ·
    • Hide content

Well i dont want some guy at my wedding putting on awful music, yeah i can give them a list but then i may aswell do it myself, apart from that i dont want them perving over my friends and family, i have seen it done, i have looked around online and its a ton cheaper to just do it myself, plug in a laptop and put someone in charge of changing the play list.

• C
    Beginner August 2013
    Crazycat ·
    • Hide content

I was considering doing just this until a friends brother said he'd do it for a cola and an invite. I see no reason why you can't hook Up your iPod to a PA music system and press play. Dj's are so over priced for what they actually do. Yes there systems are flashy but all they do it select 4/5 songs and disappear for 15 mins. If your into music I assume your friends with people who play or perform so they might have some equipment and you might be able to find out about hiring the lights etc. good luck. X

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

We are having a ipod (and sax player) but we are not planning a disco type 'party atmosphere the ipod will be just be chilled background music.

The problem with an ipod replacing a DJ is the music will not be mixed (unless you play a pre mixed compilation through your ipod) so the music will fade out and you will have a short pause between tracks which is not really ideal for a party/disco atmosphere. The other thing to consider is DJs usually have their own lighting rig which will add to the atmosphere so would you hire your own lighting which may not save you much money in the scheme of things.

• C
    Beginner May 2014
    Chocobo ·
    • Hide content

Well there is a company i am looking at that supplies lights (that respond too the music like the dj would have used) and speaker sets especially for Ipod/Laptop!

So i could have it all without the weirdo at my wedding! there is a small PA system built into the hall aswell so i could always just get a microphone from them too for the speeches!

I cant believe i have priced it too only £79!!

You can also use programs on your laptop or even ipod to make it so the music does blend like the DJ would do so that isnt an issue!

• G
    Beginner September 2013
    Gemmy08 ·
    • Hide content

So in your words DJS are awful, perverted and weirdos? I think maybe you need to think before you post. My DJ is a genuinely lovely guy. He is a fireman, who djs part-time. He lost his wife 3 years ago to cervical cancer. He now spends most of his spare time fundraising for the hospice and Marie Curie. I can only imagine how he or any other DJ would feel to read your post. If you don't wish to pay for a DJ and have an ipod thats entirely your decision. But to make comments like that, in my opinion is uncalled for.

• C
    Beginner May 2014
    Chocobo ·
    • Hide content

Thats your opinion and i get that, im not saying ALL DJS are, i never did, its just the ones i have delt with in the past in my area are and its something im wary about.

Hell if i could find a DJ in my area that didnt cost the earth to have and was a genuinely nice person id go for them you are lucky you have found one that you can work so well with, at the end of the day peoples views will be clouded if that is the experiance they have had arnt they?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We picked a professional DJ with the same taste in music as us. He is a bit of a local celeb who DJs radio and clubs. We met for drinks, worked out we were all on the same page in terms of music, then got hammered in a Manchester beer garden. We still see him now, at various club nights etc. He was (and still is) fab.

As Funky said, mixing is a little problematic using an iPod set, but could feasibly worked around. More important an issue is the inability of an iPod to read the floor and adapt appropriately. Our DJ decided certain parts of the evening (when our first dance was, the final songs, when to keep certain contingents dancing) and we trusted him completely with this.

Admittedly, he did give me a hug when he arrived, which was practically physical harassment. Not.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This would be my main concern. A good DJ will read the room and choose songs accordingly. I would never underestimate the importance of that if you want a full dance floor all night.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

As people have said, it is possible to just ipod it up, but there is definitely a difference, and £600 isn't a lot for their gear investment, insurance, overheads, not to mention the wage/living they make to continue their weirdo activities lol suppliers who aren't providing something tangible do seem to get the worst stick Smiley sad

• Dash of Sparkle - Venue Styling & Wedding Planners
    Dash of Sparkle - Venue Styling & Wedding Planners ·
    • Hide content

Hi Chocobo

I think if you have an MC or wedding planner (maybe a good friend) who can be in charge of the iPod then this could be a possibility to help cut down on costs but to be honest I really would not take the chance to leave this to an unproffesional. There is too much at risk!

The main elements to have an amazing wedding is delicious food, well coordinated music that gets everyone on the dance floor and ofcourse the best company.

A DJ who knows what they are doing will not only play a couple of songs but would actually speak to the guests, stand on the stage and lead them in a dance routine. Throw out props on the dance floor to keep up the momentum or tell a couple of jokes if you need a bit more time because the caterer is running a bit late with the next course.

As long as you have someone who can oversee this, you should be fine, just remember this person should not be YOU, it is your wedding which means you need to be having the night of your life. Not worrying about the next song ... !!

Kind regards
    Idit

• Nicky Hewitt Designs
    Beginner May 2012
    Nicky Hewitt Designs ·
    • Hide content

We had our reception in a pub with a live band, but didn't think it was worth hiring a DJ for after that as our do was small and there was lighting and a PA system I could plug the iPod into. It didn't work as well as I had hoped to be honest. The gaps between songs were more noticeable than I thought, as were differences in the volume of some of the tracks. Someone was supposed to be in charge of putting the music on after the band but this didn't happen; the guy at the venue couldn't figure out how to work the equipment properly and I ended up having to go sort it out. If I was to do it again I would hire a DJ to make sure it ran smoothly, and as others have mentioned have the flexibility to react to the crowd to make a better atmosphere.

• S
    Spacebar Productions ·
    • Hide content

We've done quite a few of these and having an iPod wedding is not for everybody.

However for those have specific situations where cost is the primary factor, all that is needed is for you to take this approach might be just to have a chat with the venue-in-house/resident DJ and ask them if they can provide a cheaper service where they can provide all the kit allowing your iPod to be connected into it - without them actually performing.

This will be a speaker, amplifier, a mixer with some connections so your ipod can be plugged into away you go. Maybe a microphone should anyone want toannounce the first dance.

If you opt down this route, I would ensure you (in no order)

1) talk to your hirer to have an adequate system for the size of the room/guests, it needs to be loud to cater for #guests count

2) test the system out in good time so it doesn't disrupt the day

3) designate someone who can be responsible for the iPod and possibly the kit/volume

4) prevent guest dj's who might change tunes without you knowing (see point 3)

5) design your music plan for the different parts of the day, ceremony, wedding breakfast meal, reception

6) ensure crossfade works - all the modern ipods do this so you don't get any gaps between music

7) mix it up - play music that will appeal to everyone, i.e tempo changing/crowd pleasers- at certain times during the reception

8) hire a professional who can take all this hassle away from your day so you can relax knowing it;s in someone elses hands.

You can expect to pay around £150 for a half-decent PA hire with some basic lights for a very simple Ipod setup - it all depends on what kind of atmosphere you intend to create at your reception.
    There are a lot of stories around the internet from folks who've had successful parties and then those not so successful stores but it all depends on your expectations, friends, style and atmosphere you intend to create. It pays to get a professional but it's perfectly possible to have a great party on the cheap. many companies offer this service of providing the kit for you. We specifically designed a digital DJ system called the www.theidj.com because of the many requests we got from couples to have this kind of service.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

There is an all too common misconception that a DJ turns up with some fancy gear and presses play.

As well as knowing what music works well together to keep you dancing and a very broad depth of knowledge of all genres, the thing you're missing is that we manage the evening. A high energy evening that runs smoothly with seamless entertainment doesn't happen by accident. Most DJs will stick to your remit where music is concerned and even ask for a 'do not play' list. On many occasions I've had a list of tunes or genres that the couple didn't want played under any circumstances, so I've politely said I hadn't got it if requested by a guest. There's been many occasions when guests have got bolshy about wanting their request played now or wanted an unsuitable song... and we quietly difuse the situation (I'd love to see an ipod handle that). There's also the impromptu things that happen that we instigate and manage such as the bouquet toss. The other night the bride came and asked me to get all the men from the wedding party up doing something.... so I set up a dance off to Gangnam Style (they were all in kilts....hilarious.... especially the groom). There's the other many things we do such as setting up the first dance, ensuring all the important guests are in the room (not an easy task on a warm evening) including the tog or vog, liaising with the venue etc.

I must admit, when I first started DJing many years ago, it shocked me how easy it was to kill a dance floor! I don't know how you can determine what to play for 5 hours beforehand. What if what you have chosen isn't what your guests want to dance to? What if you've got 50% of your guests on the floor enjoying the music..... what about the other 50% sitting watching and wishing there was some suitable music for them. As a DJ we would watch for this and ensure that there is something for everyone.

If you were to hire in equipment such as lights.... who's going to set it up? What will happen if some of the equipment fails (trust me.... even new equipment can fail). Most DJs carry full back up for this very reason. We also have the experience and knowledge of the equipment to fix it anyway (i keep a screw driver and gaffa tape in my handbag). For example, one night the groom knocked his drink into one of my amps at the start of the night...... so I quickly ran out to the van and brought in the spare. The other thing to bear in mind is that if you hire equipment....it is your responsibility.

Sorry for the ramble....... I could write a book on the subject.

• C
    Beginner May 2014
    Chocobo ·
    • Hide content

You may have just sold me too the idea!
    I just worry that im going to end up with someone dodgy only because i have had them in the past, is there anyway i can get around that?

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

When I left my dear Aunties funeral I switched on the radio whilst leaving and it was playing 'this girl is on fire'.

An ipod doesn't have tact or timing like a DJ.

I've seen weddings where the entertainment was all from Spotify. But it was a closed knit, mad wedding where people spoke to each other rather than danced.

Ipods are great for background though. Or for the space between the band.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There are loads and loads and loads of good DJs out there.... and one or two not so good!

The way to sort the wheat from the chaff is by being thorough....

Ask to meet them before hand.... you'll soon know if you like them and if they instil confidence.... and any nasty habits like scratching their crotch in public (I don't have that problem!)

Always look at previous testimonials from clients....lots of them. If they haven't got lots from brides and try and fob you off with 'its because i don't ask for them'.... don't even consider them. If you're still not sure, ask to speak to a previous bride (i've got loads that have offeed this but I've never needed to ask them)

Are they professional? If they don't offer a contract or ask for a deposit....I'd be questioning why not?

Ask if they will keep to your remit with music..... you can guage if they will by the way they answer. Can you submit a playlist of 'must have' songs and 'not in a million years' songs?

Do they have back up for both equipment and themselves.

Check over their terms and conditions that they are fair.

Are they busy? If they are busy and charge a good rate..... there's a good reason for this. You don't stay busy at the high end of the market if you don't deliver.

I hope that helps

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics