Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2010

Ironing/Pressing dresses

meggles24, 12 April, 2010 at 09:22 Posted on Planning 0 3

Does anyone know where to go to get wedding dresses pressed/Ironed??
Mines quite large and as its been in its bag a while and been transported around it's got creases along the bottom of the dress..

Im in Central london but the shop i brought it from is an hours drive away..Does anyone know of anywhere in London or any department store type places that do this?
Obviously i want it somewhere more reliable than just the local drycleaners as i'll cry if it comes back with marks on it!

xx

3 replies

Latest activity by Jumbly Girl, 12 April, 2010 at 10:05
  • L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Hang the wedding dress in a steamy room, such as the bathroom. Turn on the shower and let the steam from the hot water work the wrinkles from the wedding dress

Or....... im sure any bridal shop will do it at a price?

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

My mum pressed my dress - steaming can shrink silk so she was horrified when the shop said it had been steamed...... I think she did it with a cotton cloth/piece of fabric on top so that the iron didnt make direct contact with the silk......

but then she deals with this stuff for a living so......

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Hey Meggles,

What material is your dress made from? Most bridal shops would help out, but as TeeHee suggests, ironing (on a low heat) with a towel between the iron and the under-side of the fabric is what's been recommended to me by my dressmaker (my dress is silk and satin). But please, please, please test a small fabric sample that no one will see first before even thinking about doing this to you dress.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics