Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner September 2019

Is 11.30 ceremony too early??

HappyPinkStationery18205, 29 of September of 2018 at 12:17 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi!

I’m in desperate need of advice! I am in the process of planning venue and ceremony and have been advised by the registrar that they only have 11.30am or 2.30pm slots available on the date that the venue is free.

I am worried that 11.30 will be too early and won’t leave enough time for getting ready, hair/make up and photographs. There are two brides, three adult bridesmaids, two flower girls plus both mother’s. I have no idea how long hair and make up might take for this many people but I can imagine it will take a while! I don’t want to be rushed or stressed in the morning and am quite disappointed that there isn’t availability for a 1pm ceremony as that was my ideal! 2.30pm is too late as the timings the venue have would mean that the wedding breakfast wouldn’t finish until 8pm which would mean evening guests could not arrive until 8.30pm.

Can anyone share experiences of 11.30am weddings and timings for getting ready? The idea of having a longer day and more time to mingle with guests, relax after dinner sounds great but I really don’t want to start the day off on a bad foot by being stressed and rushed!

Thanks Smiley smile

7 replies

Latest activity by Fireworkandfairylightwedding, 2 of October of 2018 at 19:44
  • H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I think as long as you are organised on the day, 11:30am will be fine.

I have a midday ceremony planned, and will have myself, 6 adult bridesmaids, mum, stepmum, and 2 flowergirls getting ready!

Maybe you could ask your adult bridesmaids to do their own hair and/or make up on the day? Saves time for the MUA/hairdresser to do both brides and the mums, plus will save you money!

Plan your day the night before, and agree who is going to get up when, and who is going to shower when, and the order of hair and make up.

Talk to your hairdresser and MUA in advance to let them know exactly what needs to be done and by when, and they can advise on what time they need to be there, or if you need to book an extra person. They are professionals, and it's their job to make you look and feel great, so trust them.

Are you getting ready at the venue or travelling there? Make sure to factor your travel time in to your plan.

On an additional point - what timings do your venue have?? My friend had a hotel wedding recently, and the ceremony was at 2pm, evening guests were still able to arrive at 7 after a 3 course meal, speeches and photos! If you feel it will be too much of a rush, chat to your venue, because 6 hours from ceremony to evening guests feels unnecessarily excessive.

Good luck! X

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I think it may be worth double checking the times because if you are having a civil wedding at the venue then I would expect you to to be outside with a drink in your hand being congratulated by family by 3.00, then 1.5 hours for photos and mingling which gives a sit down for 4.30 then depending on how many guests that you have and the nature of the food that could be between 2 or 3 hours incl speeches so at the max of 3 hours that would be 7.30 all done.

It sometimes will depend on the amount of guests and if its the same room that has to be turned around for each section.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

In addition to what others have said, there is a different solution. You can book the ceremony at whatever time you like ad have a celebrant instead. The legal part can be done for £75 at the register office in your jeans on a weekday.

• H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyBrownDecor18059 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having an 11:00am wedding! Tbh the morning isn't the thing I'm most worried about, I'm more worried about keeping everyone entertained in the gap in the middle of the day between the meal and evening do. But anyway, when I posted on here previously, loads of people replied saying they'd had/been to early morning weddings and they are perfectly fine and do-able! As other people have said, as long as you get up early and are organised getting ready should be fine. There is also the option of getting more than one hairdresser so several people can have their hair done at once, maybe have less complex styles for the bridesmaids, etc. I'm thinking of showering the night before, so I only need a quick wash in the morning, do my nails the day before, stuff like that. Not ideal, but hey ho, at least we'll have longer to enjoy our day!

• H
    Expert September 2019
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was exactly my thought! I figured my venue hire price was the same whether I got married at midday or 4pm, so I figured I'd go early and have longer to spend time with guests and celebrate! X

• H
    Expert September 2019
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was exactly my thought! I figured my venue hire price was the same whether I got married at midday or 4pm, so I figured I'd go early and have longer to spend time with guests and celebrate! X

• H
    Beginner September 2019
    HappyPinkStationery18205 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advice guys!

We compromised by moving the wedding back a week as another date came up at the venue and we can now have the ceremony at 1pm! That feels like a much better fit, more relaxed morning but still making the most of the day!

• F
    Beginner November 2018
    Fireworkandfairylightwedding ·
    • Hide content

I find it hard to believe that you won’t be finished until 8:30!

I have a 2pm ceromony. We are having the wedding breakfast at around 3:45 to be finished for 6:30ish, ready for the evening guests to arrive at 7pm. Oh, and my friend had her wedding at 3pm and the evening guests had arrived by 7:30.

I perosnally think 11:30 is way too early. Like I said, I get married at 2pm and we already have to start hair and makeup at 8am so that we’re not too pushed for time! I don’t think it’d be a great start to the day feeling rushed and possibly anxious. The other thing to consider is guests. If you have any that need to travel, it will be quite an early start for them too. I think most guests will appreciate a later start.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics