Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsStanleyToBe
Beginner January 2019

Is 52 Too Old to be a Maid of Honour

MrsStanleyToBe, 22 of July of 2015 at 12:05 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello All You Hitchers

I'm new to posting, so please be gentle with me ?

Me and my partner got engaged in January and I've been scouring Hitched ever since and finally plucked up the courage to post ? we're not getting married until January 2019 - but I'm getting so excited already, even though it's my second marriage this one is completely different and I feel more in control (I was only a baby at 20 for my first marriage)

Anyway enough of my rambling, the question that I wanted to ask you all is, do you think that 52 is too old to be a maid of honour? My bridesmaids that I want are my Cousin who's in her 20's, my friend who like me will be 41 and I really want my SIL to be my maid of honour - she is 10 years older than my OH although she is a very young 52. I desperately want to ask her, as I'm so close to her but I don't want her to feel uncomfortable being with my 20 year old cousin.

Any advise anyone has will be greatly received

Many Thanks xx

6 replies

Latest activity by LittleMissPanda, 22 of July of 2015 at 14:45
  • CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's too old. Definitely ask her if that's what you want! ?

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not too old! I don't think ANY age is too old as it's just about your friends being there to support you, whatever their age. (If you think about it, probably not many bridesmaids are actually maids anymore... ?) I can't imagine her being uncomfortable just because another bridesmaid is younger. They're all adults and will surely get along just fine, being happy for you! If you're worried about her being insecure of her looks compared to your younger cousin, just make sure they all have a say in the dress choice and pick something they feel good in. Congrats and have fun planning!

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

I don’t think any age is old when it comes down to who you would like in your bridal party. If you want your SIL to be your MOH then ask her. She will understand that your having a varied age group for your party and from the ages you have provided there’s not a massive gap between people that anyone should be uncomfortable about.

Also its just like when you get your flower girls and MOH. (i know it’s not exactly the same but just trying to give piece of mind.)

• MrsStanleyToBe
    Beginner January 2019
    MrsStanleyToBe ·
    • Hide content

Aww thank you all so much for your replies, that's really reassured me. I am definitely going to ask her, because we are so close, hopefully she won't be uncomfortable, like I say she is a very young 50 year old, so glam all the time more than me! ? and I will ask them all to just stick to one colour but any design that they feel comfy with.

Good luck to you all with your planning and I look forward to reading all about how you're getting on xx

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Not too old at all - although don't forget if she is married the correct term is matron of honour, not maid!

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome ?
    I don't think it's too old at all, one of my bridesmaids is 49 and the other is 21.
    They were given the option of choosing their own dresses within a certain colour scheme and ended up picking the same one!
    So I say go for it, I'm sure she'll be thrilled ?
    x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics