Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sarah8286
Beginner June 2014

is a best man really necessary?

sarah8286, 12 January, 2012 at 11:39 Posted on Planning 0 5

Just abit of advice really...

my oh doesn't really have very many male friends he could ask to be best man, so he wants to ask his brother. The thing is I HATE his brother with a passion, he makes my skin crawl he is so disgusting.. my oh hasn't asked him yet and i dont think he is really bothered about asking anyone if i'm honest. I've not mentioned my feelings about his brother cos i think thats unfair of me but is a best man really necessary? were only having a small ceremony and even for speeches his brother lives 500 miles away and doesn't really know me that well or oh now for that matter, i think oh is just thinking of asking him as he thinks he needs someone..

could we have some advice please x

5 replies

Latest activity by ashlil, 12 January, 2012 at 13:24
  • AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

No. We didn't have one and didn't feel anything was missing. We didn't have bridesmaids either, so the "wedding party" was just him and me. I LOVED that!

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

Were having this at the moment. My OH isnt keen on asking the couple of friends he has and has no brothers. He does have one of his friends in mind but think that is just so he has a best man?! Why dont you mention about not having one, see what he says? x

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

Ive been to a wedding where the groom didn't have one and not one person noticed, i mean who is looking at the best man?

We are having a best man (my oh best friend) and other than them suit shopping and the stag do (both im not going too) hes not having much else to do with the wedding, so il have hardly any contact with him anyway, i get on with him well but im sure when he does his speech i will be wishing we didnt have a best man eather! so there are plus points to your situation!

If i was you i would just let your oh do what he wants, you will hardly speak to his brother anyway and if hes coming to the wedding anyway then there isn't much difference! I know a lot of people who chose there moh and bm because they have known them the longest rather than the person who knows them best, so your not alone in worrying what he will say in his speech and if anything he says is going to have any relevance to you both as a couple.

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

Strictly speaking you only need the two of you and the witness for legal reasons.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Nope we didn't have a best man and no one noticed - go with your instincts! it works just as well without one - OH is extremely organised and calm person anyway

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics