Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

beccak
Beginner September 2014

Is a patterend/striped tie ok for the groom?

beccak, 16 of February of 2014 at 22:42 Posted on Planning 0 5

My fiance hasn't shown much interest in his outfit so far so I'm trying to move things along a bit by showing him some possibilities. For background, our wedding is going to be in September at a big private house (not a stately home, a modern place) in Cornwall, hopefully with the ceremony taking place in the garden.

Our colour scheme is navy blue and pale pink (bridesmaid will be wearing a navy dress and we're having pale pink flowers). Neither of us are that keen on satin 'wedding waistcoats' or cravats, so between us I think we've decided that he will wear a mid or light grey three-piece morning suit (with matching grey waistcoat) and a tie.

I think a plain tie might end up looking a bit boring, so to make it more interesting I was thinking of a striped tie like this:

When I went into Moss to pick up their brochure and generally have a chat with one of the advisors, I suggested that tie and he pretty much turned his nose up and said that was a business tie and not suitable for a wedding. Would you agree?

He then pointed out this tie, and I can't decide whether I think it would be brilliant or horrible!

He'd probably end up with a plain navy hankerchief and pale pink buttonhole.

The other question then is should my dad and his (who is probably best man, he just doesn't know it yet!) wear a plain tie?

Any opinions, photos from OMs or links to other suggestions would be much appreciated.

5 replies

Latest activity by beccak, 18 of February of 2014 at 18:20
  • miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

I think a patterned tie would look really nice on the groom and/or the grooms party ;-)

I like the flowery one that Moss suggested but if you have a look on Pinterest there are plenty of pictures of weddings with stripey ties...

• LoveHimMegaMuch
    Beginner August 2014
    LoveHimMegaMuch ·
    • Hide content

I prefer the striped tie tbh, and think the colours would 'tie in' (get it?!) with your theme perfectly! Would your groomsmen object to a mainly pink tie with navy stripe? Just to distinguish the groom from them?

We're going for kilts, grey with black stripe detail, grey kilt jackets, black shirts.....groom with grey cravat and groomsmen with dusky pink cravats to match our BM dresses xx

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I think the striped tie would be lovely. Not keen on the flowery one though.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Also not keen on the flowers, do like the stripy one Smiley smile

• Swagger&Swoon
    Swagger&Swoon ·
    • Hide content

A striped tie would certainly work - here's another example:

But here's an example of flower ties as well:

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your responses; I'm feeling a bit more confident in my original idea of the striped tie now. I also like the suggestion of having the groom in navy with pink stripes and possibly the rest of the party in pink with navy stripes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics