Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Curious June 2022 Merseyside

Is a second photographer worth the extra cost?

Jennifer, 5 of September of 2021 at 21:03 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all

We have the option of upgrading our photography package to one that includes a second photographer. What are the advantages & is it worth it? Is it just a case of you get photos from different angles?

Tia X

5 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 7 of September of 2021 at 01:21
  • Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

SEcond photographers also mean you can see two perspectives of the same moment - for example, the moment the bride walks down the aisle and the moment the groom sees her happen very close together. Having two photographers means that one can focus on the bride and one on the groom.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

It will allow for more candid photos to be taken of guests whilst main photographer is focusing on the main shots. I guess it depends on if you can afford it and how much the difference is. If you are having a large wedding then it may be worth it to get guest shots that a single photographer may not have time to capture, but also on they type of shots you want. If you mainly want ones of you and hubby and a few group ones then I would say is not worth it

• L
    Curious May 2024 Nottinghamshire
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on what you want for your photos. A lot of photographers guarantee 2 rather than an additional cost I think. We spoke to a photographer at a wedding fayre yesterday and he made it sound like a great idea to be honest. One with one party getting ready and the other with the other. Then you have the frontal photos but maybe the more natural reaction ones. I also think that your guests take that many pictures as well that they almost capture what a second photographer could do if that makes sense. I think we'll still go for the 2 personally but I definitely just depends on what you want. Hope you have a lovely day, whatever you decide. 😊
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I say no or rather the advantage is not for you but it is to the benefit of the photographer, its easier with two, some actually are unable to cope and shoot a whole wedding on their own which could be why they are very keen on promoting a second.

Whether they work as a "team" or have it as an option you will be paying extra for the second shooter. But some don't even pay the second shooter anything as they could be inexperienced shooters willing to work for free in the exchange for being able to use the images in their portfolio as a "wedding that they shot"

The concept of one shooting the main photos while one shoots candid sound good but still not needed because the groups should only take 15-20 mins anyway. At a wedding there are loads of opportunities for a solo shooter to get candid shots, as guests arrive at the church/ venue, then once they come out of the church and congratulate you, then again at the venue with your welcome drinks, in-between courses when you are not eating and then after the food as the evening guests arrive.

With some cleaver timing I can get shots of the bride getting ready and then be at the venue for shots of the groom. As a solo I can not be at the top of the isle and at the bottom but in a civil ceremony I can usually get the grooms face and the bride walking up all from one position.

For getting ready there really is not much happening with the lads and its much better to be with the Bride as that is where all the mornings main shots are to be had like dress shoes flowers, dads first look bride with Mum / Dad, to demonstrate this the second less experienced shooter will be the one with the lads. Quite often I can catch up with the lads in the pub before - even after being with the bride getting ready.

Shooting solo enables me to have a small unobtrusive foot print on your day rather than having two so that they are there at every corner you turn.

• Charlotte
    Dedicated July 2022 Durham
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I've got the two photographers. Be well worth it as one can focus on my H2b and other on myself. Or fun photos can be taken while main requests are also getting done. Really good idea, because yes they work together but they get different angles and have opposite ideas. X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics