Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2014

Is anyone else dreading their hen do?

JontyDoggle, 23 of July of 2014 at 10:35 Posted on Planning 0 10

I'm having a spa day and an evening meal out and my bridesmaids have been super and arranged it all. But I'm dreading it, because they, and my OH, keep hinting at the extra silly things they've arranged. I just want a really nice day out with my friends, I don't want to be dressed up in some daft outfit, or made to do stupid things, and most of all I don't want a stripper - I can't think of anything worse. OH has told me I need to lighten up and go with it, but right now I just feel anxious and on edge (it's on Saturday). I'm probably overreacting totally, but I was looking forward to it until they started dropping all these hints and now I'd almost rather not go. No idea what response I'm expecting, but I needed to vent!

10 replies

Latest activity by SillyWrong, 24 of July of 2014 at 08:58
  • halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

They're probably winding you up.

Your BMs know you and want you to have a good time. They wouldn't make you do something you don't want to do.

• S
    Beginner December 2013
    Snowrose ·
    • Hide content

Have you told them how you feel? They’re your friends, I’m sure they won’t want to do anything to make you feel uncomfortable. I was really, really clear that I absolutely did not want to go out in public dressed-up or have any sort of nude man on my hen – just not my thing. My lovely girls completely respected that but then it isn’t really their thing either!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

I'm really close with OH's best mans girlfriend and she's organised for me to get spoilt as her and another of OH's friends Girlfriends are paying for me to get my nails done and a tan. The other night the best man aske if I'm excited about it and I said yes, then the next day OH started asking if that's all I'm doing on that day so said yeah, he smirked and me and MIL noticed as she was over too, so I asked what he knows what I don't. He refused to tell me and said he'd tell his mum in the garden. I never did find out but I hate surprises!

Then I have my main hen, spa day with the older members of our family's and a couple of close friends, dinner then te younger ones and the rest of my friends are heading out for town. I asked for no willies and as far as I know there isn't any. But the other day the BM's girlfriend text my sister saying I want a stripper after me saying I'm not sure if my sister and best friend have anything else planned. I showed my sister te string of texts between me an the BM's girlfriend and no where did t say I want a stripper, my sister knows me well enough to know I find male strippers growtesk (sp?).

So now I'm a bit stressed that a stripper will show up on the beauty treatment day :/

So that's stressing me a bit.

Like others have said if you have any worries just talk to your friends, they will want you to have the best time an won't want you to spend tryout hen upset or stressed. I need to take my own advise and make it clear I really don't want a stripper!

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    LucyLastic ·
    • Hide content

I know what you mean. I went abroad for the first part of my hen & felt so self conscious dressed up in veil, L plates, garter & the such but as long as there was absolutlely no stripper I was happy to go with it.

I am having sleepness nights trying to arrange my own UK hen, it seems that everyone's availability is really restricted (my fault for thinking it would be straight forward to arrange with relatively short notice..). Due to time restraints I am having to do it on a Friday & hate that everyone is going to have to rush to get ready after work. I have been awake at night worrying that noone wants to come. My future in laws haven't replied except a sister to say she cannot come.

Part of me wants to say don't even bother with it it is such a mare!

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    missgeebee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We purposely try to arrange nights out on a Friday. Yes you've had work, but there are always things that happen Saturdays too. Plus you get an extra day to recover!

My friend had her hen do at the weekend, she doesn't drink. For a few weeks we were winding her up, saying she better get practising doing shots etc. It was all joking, i think she had one drink over the whole weekend, but she had other forfeits instead - wearing a silly pair of glasses etc. I think your friends know you well enought not to force you into anything, but a bit of banter in the elad up is normal.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Mine is next week, I have two main people organising mine, one is quite straight laced and is one of my best friends and knows me well, she'll make sure the embarrassment doesn't go too far (e.g. I've stated no L plates or veils, she's agreed so long as I agree to some kind of understated tat!) and then the other friend is a little OTT - she'll provide the inappropriate fun that friend number one might not!

I think what I mean to say, is sit down and talk to one of the organisers about what your limits are - be prepared to have a bit of a giggle and do things you wouldn't usually, because it's your hen and you're going to have loads of fun ... but make sure that they are clear on what you definitely won't enjoy.

Things like strippers (I mean the strip-o-gram type) - no one fancies that kind of attention, but to be honest, if you're drunk and having the time of your life and one shows up, I can't imagine it would be the worst thing that could happen to you.

Another thing I've told my hens, under no circumstances should we be doing tequila shots during day-light hours, it's just not cool, and I won't enjoy my do - i'll be back in the hotel fast asleep by dusk. (Nice cocktails in the sunshine: yes. Shots: no!)

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this. My OH went on a stag do the other week and they were winding up the groom to be saying they are going to make him drink shot all day and wear something daft, when in fact, no shots were drunk and no daft outfits were woren, they just went and watched the world cup matches, got drunk and came home.

Try not to worry, things are never as bad as they seem.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I think their winding you up too.

My friends keep threatening to take me a Dreamboys Show & get front row tickets. So totally not my thing and I've heard that their shows are really graphic. I don't relish the idea of being thonked in the face with a strangers willy or getting his teeny tiny G string stuck in my teeth.

• J
    Beginner August 2014
    JontyDoggle ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, ladies thank you all for your responses. I had just started to calm down yesterday afternoon and think 'no, they won't do any

thing' when I got a text from my OH. "You've got off light on Saturday, been trying to book you a fireman stripper but your dinner venue won't allow it!". I'd told him, and my bridesmaids, multiple times, that I didn't want a stripper and in fact couldn't think of anything worse. The fact he'd been trying to organise it meant someone hadn't listened at all, and I was livid. Then I got a text from one of my BMs, issued to everyone going on Saturday, which said 'we're going to give 'x' a day she'll never forget (sorry 'x!')'. So then I was freaking out at what they were now planning too - if a stripper was now on the cards, god knows what else was included. I got home and had a massive row with OH, who at first thought I was just being boring and 'couldn't let my hair down' until he really saw how upset I was. Then he text my BMs to tell them they'd need to 'tone it down' for Saturday, although he said he didn't know what they had planned. One of the BMs text straight back and said she'd planned it really carefully, I wasn't to worry, thee was nothing I wouldn't like and they'd aimed for classy but fun for the whole day and evening. So after mega stressful day yesterday, I'm finally feeling reassured, and immensely grateful to the venue for not allowing strippers, because I told OH if a stripper had turned up I would have walked out, which would have ruined the whole evening. Sigh.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Glad to hear it's all working out for you Smiley smile

um, how come your OH playing such a large part in the organisation of your hen? I'm genuinely interested. My friends said they would let my OH know where we're off to for the weekend and she asked them not to tell her, as she sees it as something that she shouldn't really be involved in, and I feel the same about hers, I wouldn't dream of asking OH's sister what she has planned!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics