Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Penny P
Beginner March 2014

Is anyone else staying a Miss after marriage?

Penny P, 14 of February of 2014 at 08:08 Posted on Planning 0 18

After lots of thinking and discussions with OH I have decided to keep my maiden name and will be Ms not Mrs. Anyone else doing/done the same?

x

18 replies

Latest activity by PinkButterfly, 14 of February of 2014 at 21:45
  • C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

yes i'll be a ms. i've always used ms.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I always thought Ms was used when someone is divorced?

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

No, I'm changing my name. I always knew I would though, I adore my family and stuff ,but my surname reminds me more of bad times than good, so I'm glad of the opportunity to change it!

• millielovesroses
    Beginner March 2014
    millielovesroses ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought that too....but im divorced and stayed a Mrs. and I cant wait to be married again and change from my previous married name lol x

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I am staying as Miss Maiden Name. Not going to use Ms as I don't think it is anyone else's business whether I am married/single/divorced.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Ms is the recently invented female version of Mr - ie a title that doesn't reveal one's marital status. In practice people do tend to think it is used by divorced or older single women, so it now has baggage/negative connotations of its own. WOMEN, KNOW YOUR PLACE. ?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I tried being a Ms after my divorce and people still called me Mrs so I gave up lol so now I'll be a Mrs again and very very happy to be so ?

• *flamingo*
    Beginner June 2014
    *flamingo* ·
    • Hide content

Hello to everyone this is my first post! ?

I'm keeping my maiden name for two reasons.. I live in Italy and the women don't change their names here, I don't know if there is even the possibility to change it and it be recognised! The other reason is that my surname is much nicer than my fiance's ?

• H
    Beginner October 2014
    Heidi P ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I am in 2 - minds whether to change my surname to Snell (not the best of surnames) or to double it up with mine? Everyone that I speak to, all the girls say yes to do that but the men are dead against it. My fiance is dead against me keeping my surname but I like my surname as it is unusual and also it is my idenity.

What do you all think?

xx

• H
    Beginner October 2014
    Heidi P ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I am in 2 - minds whether to change my surname to Snell (not the best of surnames) or to double it up with mine? Everyone that I speak to, all the girls say yes to do that but the men are dead against it. My fiance is dead against me keeping my surname but I like my surname as it is unusual and also it is my idenity.

What do you all think?

xx

• H
    Beginner October 2014
    Heidi P ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

What do you all think?

xx

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Indeed. When will they learn?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I'm changing to Mrs D - my OH isn't changing a single thing about her name as she's a Dr and we're keeping her name. She said she'd be happy to double up or take mine, but I don't like my surname, and our names sound silly together.

Bit sad though that I'm changing my name and title and she doesn't have to change anything!! I might enforce a middle name on her though. She doesn't have one. I might think of a good one.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lots to choose from on the 'what's in a name' thread ?

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

me too only every scrap of mail and official paperwork is addressed Ms to me even if I've told them Im a miss.

My adopting his name, my fella is a old fashioned guy at heart and though he said it wouldn't matter to him either way, it does. and I have a odd attachment to my name but i like the idea of a change. new starts and all that.

• Penny P
    Beginner March 2014
    Penny P ·
    • Hide content

Very interesting thanks ladies.

My OHs family really can't get their heads round the fact that I will be Miss Madien Name 'what, are you ashamed to be married or something?' was one response. Duh!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I kept my maiden name. Very little problem with Miss/Ms/Mrs as I use "Dr". Have always maintained this makes it much easier. I get a bit flustered when someone makes me choose between the Miss/Ms/Mrs options. I usually go for Miss.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I use Dr wherever possible but have taken my H's surname. If Dr isn't an option then I use Ms as it's nobody else's business what my marital status is. It's not just for divorcees!

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I'm taking his name but will be miss/ms. His mother is Mrs so I'd rather not be referred to has mrs xxxxx too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics