Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner July 2013

Is anyone getting married in South West London??? I need help >.

Jenie, 19 November, 2011 at 03:43 Posted on Planning 0 25

Hello my fellow brides. i'm getting married August 2012....I hope.....things aren't going according to my own little schedule. We have paid a deposit on the registry office, have had to change our plans on the reception venue as it was too small and we have not bought/booked ANYTHING!!!!!!

With just under 9 months to go I am starting to panic and thinking all my choices in dresses, decorations and things will never happen.

Can anyone help me???? I am most concerned about the reception venue, there doesnt seem to be much choice in my area. We are getting married at Morden Registry Office and would like to stay in the area between Morden and Balham (thats were we live). Needs to accommodate upto 85 people, include disabled access and have an outside area for photos and smokers. Obviously would like an area for dancing and for food we would prefer a buffet type meal, we dont mind adding to the menu with our own food as we have some dietry requirements. Our budget is pretty much as cheap as possible, our first choice was only £450 for the night and that included food and some alcohol.

Any help or advice I can get would be very much appreciated.

XXXXXXX

25 replies

Latest activity by Jenie, 25 January, 2012 at 00:44
  • NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

I will get my thinking cap on - but am thinking about country pubs, cricket and rugby clubs and Screm Studios in Croydon....

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

This may fall in budget perhaps? http://www.ruskinhouse.org/hallsforhire.htm

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    Jenie ·
    • Hide content

I was hoping not to go into the Croydon area, but this place looks promising ?

Thank you sooo much xxxx

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Good luck! Let me know how your search goes. Would be interested to hear any other options you might find in this area, as it is always nice to be able to help other local people out!

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    Jenie ·
    • Hide content

Also clicked on the link for the camper vans and they look perfect for us aswell ? Was looking for a local company for transportation and I loved the VW camper van in a 'Don't Tell The Bride' episode I saw.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh - thank you! They are pretty much part of the family, and I am rather proud of my old ladies! You would be most welcome to pop over for a trial drive in them any time.

All the best!?

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    Jenie ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid H2B has thrown the whole Croydon area out lol. I'll just have to keep looking.....thanks anyway ?

• LittleMissP
    Beginner September 2012
    LittleMissP ·
    • Hide content

Hi ? sounds like your from my neck of the woods, i'm from Tooting and my Mum's from Balham and me and my OH now live in Sutton.

I've had a little look online how about:

The Bedford pub in balham http://www.thebedford.co.uk/Room-Hire.aspx

The Star and Garter in Putney http://www.thestarandgarter.com/

Greyhound Bar in Streatham Common http://www.thegreyhoundbar.com/

How far are you two willing to travel? As there maybe some places near where i live now.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Great suggestions there - I used to live in Clapham and often zoom past these areas in one of my campers!

Shame about the Croydon boundary - but the glamour and sparkles that Croydon have to offer are very well hidden so understandable...?

Good luck with the search!

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    Littlelaura82 ·
    • Hide content

I have been to a wedding reception here and it was lovely http://www.windmillclapham.co.uk/weddings.php. I don't have a clue how much it is but might be worth looking at. We had the same issue in NE London trying to find a venue near our local church. We have eventually opted for a 30min drive between church and venue because the 2 nice options in the area were booked up until autumn 2013!!!

We only started planning for our June 2012 wedding at the end of August and now only have men's suits, rings and cake to sort - don't panic over time! X

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    Jenie ·
    • Hide content

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. You have any ideas about the Sutton/Morden area?? Alot of my side of the family dont drive so will have to either rely on public transport or pay for cabs.

• RayeRaye84
    Beginner
    RayeRaye84 ·
    • Hide content

I went to a 30th Birthday Party at the Hub in Mitcham earlier this year.

My cousin said it was REALLY cheap and they have a bar in the largest function room.

It needs some decorating but the location is perfect if you are getting married in Morden....

HTH.

http://www.thehubattmufc.co.uk/functionroom

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    Jenie ·
    • Hide content

The Hub is literally a 30 second walk from his parents house lol

I went on their website but there is no information about he function room.....I've put it on my little list and going to try and get his royal highness off his back side this weekend.

Thank you xxx

• RayeRaye84
    Beginner
    RayeRaye84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, website is crap...won't load properly. I say just go over there if it's only a short walk away.

From my experience in July this year, the staff were really helpful and there are round tables available with the room and a seperate area for a buffet. I think with some crafty hands it would look amazing for a wedding reception. Good luck and let me know how it goes...

x

• jeffshamphoto
    Savvy March 2015
    jeffshamphoto ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jenie, there's a venue right near me that I've been to several times photographing my couples.

It backs onto a huge park as well, so it's quite pretty and scenic.

http://www.grangebarandrestaurant.com/

I met one of my couples there the other month and did an engagement photoshoot with them, so if you want to see photos, let me know.

Incidentally, they are also getting married at the Morden register office.

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    Jenie ·
    • Hide content

Well unfortunately Beddington Park is abit far for my side of the family to travel home from, but I am glad to say that this coming Monday me and H2B will be visiting our first venue !!!!! ?

We will be going over to The Hub to check it out and see if it can accommodate our needs. Im really excited, we're getting one step closer !!! ?

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Ohhh - good luck! You are goning to have such a fun day!!! Report back and tell us how it goes! :-)

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at Winchester House in Putney (in August 2012 too!). It's a lovely venue with outside space and looks out onto the river. The hire charge is quite expensive on a weekend (£2k+) but is cheaper on Friday's and Sundays. The great thing is that you can supply your own alcohol so that will save a lot of money (well it will for us but I guess it depends on how much your friends and family drink!). It's also only a 5/10 min walk from Putney Bridge tube station.

• kookik
    Beginner September 2012
    kookik ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jennie - registry office twin!!

I'm getting married at Morden Park House too in September 2012! Its a beautiful place.

We're going to the Antoinette Hotel in Wimbledon for our reception - its only 10 mins away in a taxi. the outside area isnt great - but we're planning to have our photos at the registry office in the grounds, and then also have some in the church gardens opposite the hotel - its smaller but beautiful.

the hotel also does good deals for different packages - I would def reccomend looking at them to see what might suit you!

and also - we're having a buffet too - at £17 per person :-)

good luck and congrats xx

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Oooh - we did a wedding there earlier this year. This venue is really good value for money - and the registry office is beautiful, set in stunning grounds.

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    Jenie ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow, I already contacted the Antoinette Hotel and got a quote for £1700. That was done on the basis of about 80 guests, we have since cut our guest list down to about 60, so we would have to get a new quote. I love the look of the Antoinette, but as you said the outside isn't great. I've kept all the details and if we cant find something else then we would have another look at the hotel.

I too love Morden Park House, I thought the grounds and the building were alot more appealing than Wandsworth registry office. I'm a Wandsworth resident and my OH is a Merton resident. Plus the fact Wandsworth doesnt have a great marriage streak in my family......5 marriages and 4 divorces. ?

Oh and NathalieSB, I showed my OH your campers and he loves them!!!! We will be contacting you soon. ?

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh - thank you! ?

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    Jenie ·
    • Hide content

Ok....day didnt pan out as I had hoped.....OH decided to throw a hissy fit and I just told him to go home and chill. So we didnt go to see the venue [:'(]

Going to try and get him to come with this coming Monday or I go alone, getting fed up with him putting things off.

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    Jenie ·
    • Hide content

YAY!!!!!!! We have our reception venue!!!!! We looked at 3 different venues....one didnt have parking.....one didnt get back to us (until this afternoon, and the price wasnt right anyway)....the other was great ?

We're going with The Hub lol. Yes I finally managed to get OH off his backside and go visit the place. Putting down our deposit this saturday and too discuss catering and things. Im sooooo excited now. And OH has PROMISED that we will get photographer, DJ and transport sorted by the end of Feb.

So this means NathalieSB I would like to know what weekends your free during Feb.... ? OH works nights during the week and he doesnt want to miss out on seeing your vans hehehehe. Message my inbox when your ready and hope to see you soon ?

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow - you must be so excited to have found your venue - that is amazing news! Well done fo getting that major milestone sorted.

I would of course love to meet you one weekend in Feb to introduce you to my four wheeled friends and we can even go for a test drive if you like. I am available any weekend. If you wanted to see Pushka (cream campervan), she is available any weekend in Feb. If you wanted to see Belinda Bus (pale blue and white) she is only currently available on the weekend of 4th/5th Feb or 18th/19th Feb. We also have a pale yellow and white campervan currently being restored, but she will be available to grace the roads from April. I can tell you all about her when I meet you.

What date in August were you planning to get married?

I can be contacted on *********@************.*** if you would like to send me your prefferred date and time to meet up. I can then send you details of our address etc. I would suggest either weekend of 4th/5th or weekend of 18th/19th Feb if you want to see both campers.

All the best and thank you for getting in touch!

Nathalie

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    Jenie ·
    • Hide content

I was excited until today.....we're having to post pone the wedding until next year. My family are just being really unhelpful and stressful. It will be the same date though, I'll keep all my research and things and I will contact you again nearer the time NathalieSB.

Thanks for all your help xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics