Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vikster79
Beginner July 2011

Is anyone having a sparkly/lights back drop/curtain?

Vikster79, 4 January, 2011 at 12:41 Posted on Planning 0 44

I have an image in my head of how i want the room to look, but dont want it to look tacky. Is anyone else hiring a curtain with lights? Also money is a factor, is anyone getting them for a reasonable price, or is it an uncessary expense? Im driving my OH mad with ideas of light curtains and bay trees at the entrance ?

44 replies

Latest activity by Wedding DJ, 10 January, 2011 at 17:22
  • Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

We hire them and they are really popular. Some you can hire are just voile with fairylights behind but we have the led light one that was specially made:

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

We are having one, only because when I went to pay the deposit for the chair cover hire they had an offer on that the back drop was only £100.00 so I thought stuff it lol and hired that too... since though I do think they look lovely and I'm pleased I booked that too.

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Yes Sherrie they do look lovely. I shall get some new quotes nearer the time when i know how much money we have left to play with.

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

I love them. if we were having a marquee, I'd have one in a heartbeat but we've got a gothic mansion type place and I don't think it really goes, plus I can't imagine somewhere it would fit!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Me!!!My room was one of my 'sod it' moments!

Im having pink uplighting - looks nicer than it sounds!

with uplights you dont have the individual fairy lights shining through, not the dots of colour?

And yes my bridesmaids are pink!

Were having these table clothes as well - alternating between runners & table cloths....Im just so in love with it!!

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

We are hiring one from Bows Hire at 220.00 for the length of an 8 seater top table. I cant wait to see it and think it will set my winter theme off perfectly

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

They are very popular over here and last year I did loads of weddings that had one. They definitely don't look tacky!! They really do finish the room off. Sherries example is a particularly nice one as I have seen some a little less special than that so do make sure you ask to see it or photos of it before booking.

The wedding I did at Christmas, it looked fab behind the top table during the wedding breakfast, then for the evening they got me to set up in front of it for the disco. It hilighted all my daft dance moves as I was silhouetted against it. The groom found it very amusing!!!!!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I'd love one, but there are only so many times I can stetch "my" budget without OH noticing.... ?

We have a big glass roof covering the whole of the room and i'd love to see a lit up voile coming down to a huge disco ball or chandelier.... But, t'was not to be!

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Oooh I really want one of these, think they look really nice! I havent looked into it properly yet but quotes seem really expensive - £200-500 so far depending on size, so doubt I can justify the cost :-(

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

If you want a quote feel fre to email me.Hitchers Discount applies.?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

You may find some suitable christmas type lights that shops are trying to get rid of cheap now it's over for another year - we had something very similar (twinkly and colourful) on the living room walls that I'm sure would do the job just as well - no idea how much they cost but I'm pretty sure it was a lot less than £200.

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Sherrie - we're having the wedding in NI tho so dont imagine u cover there, or is it something we can hire from u and put up ourselves?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unless they are PAT tested & pass safety checks you won't be allowed to use them at most venues. Cheap is not always safe!

The backdrop is not just a "string of Fairylights behind a curtain" it is specially made using LED lighting that is embedded into a flame retardant fabric . It is also made on a frame that is like scaffolding Poles and has heavy plates which anchor it down also for safety.

These backdrops cost in the region of £3000 to buy so the cost to hire is expensive.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I'm super lucky - my brother is building me a twinkly light canopy to highlight all of the beams in the barn with various nooks and crannies highlighted. Think 'Father of the Bride'!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

is there anything your brother CANT do CB!?!?!?! he sounds amazing !!!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

What Sherrie said re the PAT testing and certificates.

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content

CB - can we trade brothers!!?!?!?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our venue does not require anything we bring to be PAT tested - we checked that when we booked.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Bad on their part then as all equipment should be PAT tested due to H&S & Fire Regs. All suppliers have to adhere to this so should anyone bringing in any other electrical equipment.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Drive his car safely in the ice, it would seem!

He's my sound, lightening and computer guru! If only one of my sisters made wedding dresses and the other did hair and make up...

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If Sherrie can't help, you could try these guys https://www.fairytalechairs.com/ and they're based in NI. I've worked with them a few times and they're a good company to deal with....no idea how expensive they are though!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Was just about to say to contact you Sandy!!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

If you're not using PAT tested and certified equipment, you might want to check the terms of your wedding insurance in case something nasty happens, AJ. That's exactly the sort of 'adequate maintenance' point a claim could be repudiated for.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk, and I would expect the same standards from any venue or supplier I'm giving my hard earned cash to.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow wish ours didnt. I am having to bring the things we want to include into school and trying to pass them off as necessary for my teaching to get them through the PAT tests that way!! lol

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Mountain, meet molehill.

We're talking about a set of fairy lights here, not some high powered electrical gear that's likely to kill half our guests if someone looks at it the wrong way.

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My venue has it in the cotract that all equipment be pat tested.

Funny story ... we didnt have any lights on the xmas trees at work this year cause they didnt pass the pat tests

Unfortuenately that didnt explain why the tree only had about 10 baubles lol

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

AJ Health and Safety rules exist to protect people, not to inconvenience them, and they are their to protect everyone. To not care personally (as well as your venue not caring) is really lazy and selfish to be honest. Fairy Lights might not be the exact cause of a fire all the time but if you over power an extension cable for example then you really don't know what could happen.

Go ahead, plug your fairy lights in and think of people who did the same in the links below if you care to read them and then re-read your statement and maybe see why I find it so upsetting http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/1702031.stm , https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/12/24/video-shows-dangers-of-christmas-fire-risk-72703-27881755/.

Sorry to the OP for going off track slightly.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Mountain out of a Molehill????!

Well I hope I never have to attend any Events or functions you organise, If I was unlucky enough to I would also bring a Fire Extinguisher, Fire Blanket & a copy of the H&S Rules.

AJ you really do make my jaw hit the desk at times.

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was about to say you could bring me too as Im a fire picket but then just realised what that would volunteer me to do!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd love one but I don't think we can afford to hire one - though I haven't got a clue how much it really costs! We bought some fairy lights ourselves but the idea of a DIY "lights backdrop" came from my cousin's wedding in Romania:

Sorry for the shameless "Cousin's wedding flash!"

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

When you're a guest at a hotel you don't have to have your laptop, phone charger, hairdryer etc PAT tested for use within your room so I really don't see what the difference makes when it's in a different room.

It's bad enough having to even consider insurance (although it has its uses against supplier failure it seems silly to even entertain the thought that a guest might sue you), let alone all this other H&S crap that gets in the way of normal life interfering on your wedding day.

Fine, we won't bother with sparkly lights then. I'd so hate to offend any of you lot's sensitivities. Not convinced they'd add anything to the room anyway thinking about it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics