Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vikster79
Beginner July 2011

Is anyone having a sparkly/lights back drop/curtain?

Vikster79, 4 January, 2011 at 12:41

Posted on Planning 44

I have an image in my head of how i want the room to look, but dont want it to look tacky. Is anyone else hiring a curtain with lights? Also money is a factor, is anyone getting them for a reasonable price, or is it an uncessary expense? Im driving my OH mad with ideas of light curtains and bay...

I have an image in my head of how i want the room to look, but dont want it to look tacky. Is anyone else hiring a curtain with lights? Also money is a factor, is anyone getting them for a reasonable price, or is it an uncessary expense? Im driving my OH mad with ideas of light curtains and bay trees at the entrance ?

44 replies

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That why you had them at home over Christmas then? You really do contradict yourself fella.?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

There's a difference between a normal home living room, and a venue's function suite, when it comes to fancy decorations.

The function suite is perfectly pretty enough as is, so I don't think we need to really cover the walls with sparkly lights any more than we need chair covers and sashes there either. They can hire in tablecloths in our chosen shade of green for us, so we don't need to worry about runners and suchlike, just need to finalise centrepieces (we have mirrors and fishbowls in mind, just what to stick in them that's our thought at present).

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

In our case we have all three function rooms (both halves of the big room, plus the side room with a private bar in it) so it's not going to happen on this occasion.

I've been to the venue and stayed several times, and used one of their other hotels for a conference I organised, and have absolutely no concerns about "health and safety" there, believe me if there were issues of real concern to either of us we wouldn't have booked there for our special day.

So should we ask our registrars to explain about fire safety exits and assembly points before the ceremony starts, put information in the order of service, or have the ushers ensure all guests read it and sign something before we allow them into the building....? Not to mention patting everyone down to check for weapons - or should we look into hiring a security arch from Southampton Airport instead?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I really like the stardrop backgrounds, I think fairylights always add a magical touch to a room. I also love the starry night ceilings that you can get but this would prove far too expensive in our venue and not really necessary.

It wouldn't work for us as we are not having the normal long top table, we are having a round table in the middle of the room!

If you really love it then why not...

All of our suppliers have to have public liability insurance (of which the venue need a copy) and all electrical equipment needs to be pat tested. I agree that on some occasions H&S has gone a little mad but I do think that when you are hosting a wedding for 100+ people, safety must be paramount.

I would rather be too safe than sorry.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

The question of fire has been mentioned but a bigger hazard of any 'extra' equipment in a room being occupied by a lot of guests is the tripping hazard. Most reputable hire companies have PLI which would cover these eventualities. If you supplied your own fairy light curtain and a guest or a member of staff carrying hot food tripped as a result of it, you would be liable. With many curtains they have leads that creep during the day and excess material lying on the floor..... and coupled with the curtain often being squeezed behind the top table where staff have to walk to serve people....its a real hazard.

A venue might say it doesn't matter about about PLI or PAT..... but if something happened.... I'm pretty sure they'd put the onus on you.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good point well made...

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Well I'm having a camp fire in the middle of the room.. My venue said I'm allowed naked flames so I'm guessing that's ok. Health and Safety? Health and Shmafety!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

mmmmm marshmallows......

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Hopefully you'll be providing marshmallows, and really really sharp pointy sticks to toast them on?

• Wedding DJ
    Wedding DJ ·
    • Hide content

You can't beat a real fire! I wonder if it will mark the floor? The smoke will enhance the disco lights as well!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics