Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2012

Is anyone not having speeches?

sr3693, 11 April, 2012 at 16:45 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hey all,

Just wandered really, my H2B really doesn't want to do one, neither does his best man but my dad said he would say a few words if i want him too however

I don't want him to feel pressurised either - it's not a nice thing to do!

Anyone not having speeches?

16 replies

Latest activity by samwiches, 11 April, 2012 at 20:17
  • Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content

My dad and best men will be happy to do the speeches, but my OH is also not liking the idea, so at the moment it is up in the air....we might compromise and have a 'toast' rather than speeches, so they only have to say a few words? I would love my OH to do a speech, but I can see why he is nervous to do it as he is quite shy..however I do think people will be expecting one... I suppose we have a while to decide still!

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

We're not having formal speeches - there is no "father of the bride" or best man at our wedding Our sons are performing those roles for us and I don't think its fair to ask my 15 year old to say something or my OH's 9 year old either. All we want to say is "thank you" to people for coming.

If someone is nervous they can just say a few words rather than a formal speech or even put together a slide show to present instead of a speech?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I've got to say I would find it a little odd to go to a wedding with no speeches or toasts at all, but maybe that's just what I/my friends are used to. If your dad is happy just to say a few words and propose a toast, that's fine, it doesn't sound like you're putting pressure on him!

• tybalt
    Beginner April 2012
    tybalt ·
    • Hide content

My OH and his brother who is best man are both really shy when it comes to public speaking. I also don't want to make a speech and neither does my Dad so basically my Dad will just say a quick thank you to everyone for coming and that will be that! No need for speeches I say.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

We are not having speeches as some of our guests do not speak English so we dont wont them feeling left out also i want everyone to feel relaxed and not having to worry about giving a speech. My OH and i will just be saying a quick thank you Eurovision stylee as my OH will translate after me.

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How fab! What language(s) do you speak? (Sorry for hijacking - just dead nosey!!)

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

OH hates speaking in public & don't reckon my Dad looking forward to the idea either!

I've said to OH he has got to thank everyone for coming as a minimum. Didn't think about toasts though - sure BM will do it.

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

We're not planning on having speeches. We're doing what funkyjameseo is doing as we have guests who speak 3 different languages at the wedding and so don't want people to feel left out. We'll just stand up and say a few words together (and I will veto anything OH says that I don't like!)

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I speak English and French OH Speaks Latvian, Russian & German (and English) we have most bases covered which comes in handy on holiday you can hear if anyone is slagging you off. hehe.

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Very cool Funkyjameseo!

• Haylz16
    Beginner November 2012
    Haylz16 ·
    • Hide content

We're not having speeches either but then we are just having a small wedding in Vegas!! Even if we were getting married in the UK I don't think we'd have speeches as I know my OH wouldn't want to do one and I don't like listening to them. It's your wedding so do it your way ?

• samwiches
    Beginner August 2013
    samwiches ·
    • Hide content

We'll be having speeches, but not in the traditional sense. I lost my Dad last year, so I'm having my Mom give me away, and she's doing a speech that encorporates a lovely poem, because she's probably going to get emotional, so she'll do a few words and do the poem too. We'll probably have a best man speech too, as my OH's most likely best man is a teacher so he's fine with speaking. As for my OH himself, he's not brilliant with public speaking, so I might make the toast from us, just a few short words to say thank you from both of us. I'll probably get too teary if I talk to long! Haha.

But as someone before said, your day, your way! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics