Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner

Is anyone planning on or already booked any tipis / Kata style tents for their wedding?

Colyflower, 17 of September of 2012 at 16:05 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello everyone newbie here!

I'm in very early stages of planning, day three in fact.

One of our possible venues that we've been discussing is my HTB's family farm and I'd really like to hire some kind of tipi style kata tents rather than the usual white marque, has anyone else looked at hiring these or already booked some for their wedding?

The best place I've seen so far is 'papa kata co uk' they are quite expensive though so I'm wondering if anyone has found any other places that might be cheaper?

Coly

11 replies

Latest activity by Colyflower, 13 of January of 2014 at 13:22
  • NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

We have worked at quite a few festival themed weddings with Tipis.

Have you had a look at this site? It has a good list iof suppliers: http://thenaturalweddingcompany.co.uk/category/261/tipis-tents.html

Good luck! SOunds like it will be a fun wedding!

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

I can't really help with recommendations but I just want to say I'm very jealous! Would have loved to have had tips but they were just too much for our budget. Hope you choose them!

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Get a quote from World Inspired Tents. One of my best friends used them for her wedding - in fact a picture from her wedding pops up on the website when you open it (hers is the one with the strings of lights outside). They are excellent and I highly recommend them:

http://www.worldinspiredtents.co.uk/

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

We were looking at having the 'giant hat' katas at a venue in sussex, but unfortunately it just worked out as too expensive Smiley sad We would have needed 2 large tents and a small one for catering, loos, proper flooring, heating lights, all furniture, all in all it worked out as around 10k, and that was before any catering. They look amazing, but be prepared to think of all the extras like proper flooring (apparently coconut matting isn't great if its wet) loo tents/catering tents if you need them, furniture, lighting etc. Instead we've gone for a palce with a permenant marquee set up with wooden flooring, heating and the catering tent all in for half the price Smiley smile

• ViviPru
    Beginner May 2013
    ViviPru ·
    • Hide content

I think if you're set on Kata tents/tipis, you have to resign yourself to a big spend. H2B had his heart set on them, he did a lot of research and shopping around - as a buyer by trade he is always very good at negotiating discounts with suppliers, but this is one thing he couldn't get a deal on anywhere. There are simply too few companies and too much demand for them to need to be competitive on price.

We've gone for capri marquees instead. Not only does it work out around a fifth of the cost, i actually prefer them as they're airier and lighter, and i think while lovely, the novelty factor of tipis has worn off now.

• C
    Beginner
    Colyflower ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and info, I'll have a proper look later when I'm not at work.

We are lucky that the event will be in the grounds of the family farmhouse so no hire cost for this and there will already be toilet facilities and a large farmhouse kitchen for catering on site so we might be able to get away with the basic tents. I'm also planning on decorating, sourcing and making everything with help from my mum and MIL, both of whom are very nifty with sewing machines and cake making.

It's early days though and we haven't actually got round to seeing what everything will amount to yet. I'll be cutting costs wherever I can though and pulling in some favours, so hopefully we can afford one.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

I a friend had one of these earlier in the year in the grounds of a hotel but as they are so expensive decided to just have the coco matting as flooring and in the end after a lot of heavy rain the whole tipi was flooded and they couldnt use it for any part of the wedding. So if anything make sure you pay the money for a proper flooring!

• C
    Beginner
    Colyflower ·
    • Hide content

Good tips about the flooring guys, I'll make sure it's not coconut if we do go ahead, the farm is in the Peak District so it's bound to rain!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We're having Katas!

Ours will be through Beautiful world tents. They've been amazing and so lovely thus far.

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyOrangeDecor86 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Colyflower,

How did you get on with finding reasonably priced tipis? Me and h2b are in the same boat as it seems you were although we will need to pay for the land hire too. Tipis are just what we are after but so expensive!! Completely blowing our £3000 reception budget. We are after a festival inspired evening so they fit the bill perfect. If you had any luck or found a good alternative let me know!

Mel

x

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

You are in a very good position with regards to land and toilets and kitchen, as its all those extras that end up pushing the tipi route up and over the cost of a usual wedding venue.

I shot a tipi wedding a few years back and you can

• C
    Beginner
    Colyflower ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mel

We didn't have the wedding reception at his mums in the end, we ended up doing something totally different and had a central London wedding instead! It worked out better for everyone as most of our friends and family, including us, live in South London or had easy access to London. We got married in August last year.

From what people here have said the tipis are very expensive, I did find another alternative, I think they're referred to as 'stretch' marquees they're not quite rustic looking but they're still different to the traditional marques, they also come in different colours too.

Have you hired the land already? If not, have you tried searching for farms? A lot of them have rustic barns and land for hire that aren't always listed on wedding websites so you'll have to search hard to find them, try not to use the term 'wedding' or you'll end up with expensive barn venues. Where in the UK are you looking to hold your reception? I did a lot of searching for farms/land in the home counties mainly around Surrey/Sussex, so if you'd be interested I can send you what I found? Some of them even had resident ducks and geese etc that roamed around Smiley smile

If you do end up doing a 'festival style' reception I can highly recommend a great DJ company that we used for our wedding called Disco Shed (Disco Wed), they DJ out of a garden shed complete with hanging baskets!! We only hired the DJ as we were indoors but if you're outdoors it would be great fun to have.

Hope that helps!

C

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics