Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Daisy82
Beginner

Is black acceptable for a wedding?

Daisy82, 4 October, 2010 at 17:05 Posted on Planning 0 19

Sorry I haven't been around for awhile. Hi to all the names I don't recognise.

I've been invited to my close friends wedding all day and I don't really want to but a new dress. I have a lovely black dress that I bought for something else but is wearing black to a wedding ok?

I want to dress it up a bit with either a fake flower or a ribbon sash that I could add myself. I would be wearing silver shoes and bag to match the shoes. Plus I can't really afford anything new with baby on the way.

Is this ok?

Thanks for your opinions

Vicks x

19 replies

Latest activity by Daisy82, 5 October, 2010 at 17:56
  • C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

I think it would be fine. Black is the in thing for bridesmaids at the moment so i don't see why guests can't wear it too. Plus your friend wants you at the wedding and wouldn't want you to have the extra expense if you can't afford it

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I think black looks lovely - regardless of the occasion!

Is the wedding soon? I think it's better for this time of year and winter weddings rather than summer ones.

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks,

It's at the end of October so not that far now! I think I will wear it. Just needed somebody else to say besides H. (How needy am I) x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Aw bless you!

IMO if your important enough to invite, as long as you don't look indecent (I did once see a just below the bum dress at a wedding breakfast) then the Bride and groom won't care as long as you share their special day.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

We had this exact debate in our office last week as a few of us are invited to a colleague's wedding at the end of October and naturally the talk turned to what to wear!

Nearly everyone said it wasn't 'right' to wear black to a wedding, but no one who held that view could really give a good reason why - it was just what people have always said. A couple of us thought black would be fine, particularly to a late autumn/winter wedding, especially if accessorized with other colours.

Out of the 4 of us going, I think two will be wearing black and two not.

The bride has since said she doesn't mind what people wear, as she knows that the travel has already cost some people quite a lot and she'd just be happy that we came, and wouldn't want feeling like the expense of a new outfit was mandatory to prevent that!

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I've worn black to a few weddings, I think it's fine especially with silver shoes and bag! It's dressy and smart and I've seen plenty of people in black at weddings, I really wouldn't worry!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I'm wearing a black dress (With loads of other bright colours on it), black bolero, black shoes, black headband, black bag to a wedding on Sunday. H2B has a black suit and black tie. The bride has specifically told all men to wear black though.

I don't see why you can't wear black. I feel more comfortable in black, probably because it's meant to be slimming lol.

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks,

I wouldn't have batted an eye lid at wearing black to just the evening reception, It's the fact I've been invited all day that I wasn't sure about. Oh well, I'll just have to buy some new accessories to wear with it. ? x

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I've never understood the 'colour rules'. Wear it!!

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely!

You could add a dash of hot pink in with it in a wrist corsage or something, along with your silver?

• littlelady01
    Beginner October 2010
    littlelady01 ·
    • Hide content

I think nowadays you can wear black to wedding especially if you add some colour. I recently wore a black dress to my partners sisters wedding but had red accessories with it ( red bow head band, shoes, bag and shrug.) My mum is wearing a mainly black with white dress and red jacket to my wedding and mil2b is wearing black with a hot pink.

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you. I just bought this from Accessorize for my hair as I have jewellery to match the colour Sorry about the massive pic x

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    Clare247 ·
    • Hide content

I think the reason people are funny about black is a bit old fashioned and because it could seem a bit funereal - so unless you are planning on accessorising with black hat, black jewellery, black tights, black shoes and sad face I reckon it's fine! I've worn a black dress to a wedding before but had cream and red accessories. Your accessories sound (and look) great by the way vickistix

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

as long as you go with the coloured accessorias you will be grand! I wore a black dress with selver enbroidery to a wedding, well the same dress to 2 different weddings, and everyone thought it was lovely! Either go for all silver accessories, or go for a colour, like cerise pink with it, or turquoice blue or something like that! ? have you a pic of the dress?

dont worry tho, cos when you're preggers ppl know thats you kinda keep a basic wardrobe, the jeans, the trousers, the dress and couple tops and shirts! lol

• D
    Beginner November 2011
    DTTB ·
    • Hide content

Hows about a turquoise sash above your bump and a turquoise facsinator in your hair??

Sxx

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Of course its acceptable!!

Besides, I've heard blacks very slimming ? Smiley smile)))))

You'll look gorgeous! xx

• woo-woo
    Beginner
    woo-woo ·
    • Hide content

Most definately acceptable Vicks!

At my wedding my mum's dress was black with some silver detailing and my MIL's dress was black with blue polka dots, I think in this day and age anything goes, I say go for it.

x

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I would go with it, sounds lovely and bride has already said she is not a follower of the bizarre colour rules anyway, I would only not wear black if I knew the bride was really against it! I mean honestly did you even notice what colour your guests were wearing lol x

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

TBH I really didn't. My friend won't care what I'm wearing it's just me. Plus this dress is so comfy and I can't bear anything tight ATM. Now I just need to find a ribbon shop where I live x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics