Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner February 2015

Is February a risky month to get married due to snow?

Flothom, 21 of July of 2014 at 23:36 Posted on Planning 0 17

We don't get much or any snow usually but

wondering from anyone's experiences if February is a risky month weather wise, feeling nervous!

17 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 22 of July of 2014 at 21:48
  • M
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs-S-to-be ·
    • Hide content

My cousin got married 2 years ago in feb and it was boiling. None of us are wearing jackets in the pics. They bought fur boleros to prepare and didnt use them. On the flip side, OH's parents got married at the very end of march (30 odd years ago) - basically April - and it snowed...

No predicting British weather! Snow would be lovely though - it's rain I'm concerned with...we're planning for rain - assuming it will happen and if it doesn't that's great...

• F
    Beginner February 2015
    Flothom ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! Sounds lovely! I just has a wedding jitter of heavy snow ruining the day or stopping it!

• M
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs-S-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Insurance should cover that I'm guessing? It also depends where you are - I'm in london so we don't really get affected too much but if you're in the countryside it may make a difference x

• F
    Beginner February 2015
    Flothom ·
    • Hide content

We are based in Dundee in the city then just a 20 min drive to the reception/ meal the snow never really lays... As it's right next to the coast!! But it's just one reaction I got when I told someone the date!

• BAMS
    Beginner November 2014
    BAMS ·
    • Hide content

I attended a Wedding a few years back in December and there was loads of snow. Only advice I would give is to plan in extra time for people to get anywhere as it really slowed people up and delayed a few peoples arrival time (inc Groom who arrived at midnight the day before the wedding instead of 6.00) and journeys to/from venues. Apart from that it wasn't really an issue (I slip about after a days drinking whilst wearing heels anyway!!!)

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

You at at risk of snow any time between November and March!?

I just looked up some stats for you. The UK gets 33 days of snow fall per year, making it unlikely but not impossible.

Here are some other interesting (!?) snow facts to see you in to your Tuesday:

• On 25 September 1885 snow was reported to have fallen at London and Wallington in Surrey making it the earliest fall of snow on the capital.
    • On 2 June 1975 snow showers forced the abandonment of several cricket matches across the country.
    • The snowiest winter of the twentieth century in the United Kingdom was 1947. Between 22 January and 17 March snow fell every day somewhere in the country.
  • H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I love snow.... I hope we get some this year :-)

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in Scotland in January! I love snow so it would be nice if there was a bit - but it did occur to me that if it was heavy there could be issues with travel, and that's one of the reasons I took out insurance. I'm not letting it worry me though.

• *RMD*
    Beginner April 2015
    *RMD* ·
    • Hide content

Im getting married in April and am hoping for full on snow or lovely sunshine, none of this in-between stuff!

• F
    Beginner February 2015
    Flothom ·
    • Hide content

These replies are calming me down !! Thanks Smiley smile)

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Lol - I love how we British worry about the weather. My dad is terrible! He won't make any plans for any travel during November to Feb/March because it might be icy or snow. I reel off the stats to him and simply say - "Dad, if it snows it snows, chances are it won't so make your plans and change them only when you know you have to" We were going away for a night on the motor bike last weekend and calling in to see him. I got a call at 8.30 am - "have you seen the weather, it's going to rain. You might want to come in the car" lol - no........we didn't and we didn't get wet.

Our weather is unpredictable. The only thing you're pretty sure of is that it won't be cracking the flags. Yes it could snow, it could be icy, it could rain. It good be glorious sunshine too. Likely it will be chilly so have something warm to wear and have a brolly in case it does rain. My wedding is April and I'm having to have all the same contingencies because I just don't know what it will do. We'll deal with it at the time whatever it might be. x

• F
    Beginner February 2015
    Flothom ·
    • Hide content

Ohhh that's true !! My church is in city centre and then venue is 20 min drive some back/ country roads but nothing major!

I think I'm just over panicking! I just need to relax and enjoy this season of lifeSmiley smile) I just never appreciated some people's negativity about the date chosen! It's mid feb...

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in January 2016 and all I've heard from my MIL is "I'm worried about snow".

It's Britain we have the craziest weather, chances are it'll snow whenever, just make sure you have a plan B or sometching in place.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I got married mid March and my MOH was the one panicking about snow. A lot! In the end we have the most gorgeous sunny day. No one needed their jackets and shrugs. However a few weeks before that our venue was flooded because of all the rain.

You can't predict or control the weather so there's really no point worrying about it. Just make sure you make allowances for snow or rain and then you'll be covered.

• F
    Beginner February 2015
    Flothom ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the reassurance :-))

the in laws are very supportive and think it will be beautiful if it snows...

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

We went to a wedding in December a few years ago when we had that really heavy snow about 10 days before Christmas. We still managed to travel from Portsmouth to Edinbugh. The snow up there as a good foot and half deep (and the heating didn't work in our room, brrrr!)

Guess my point is, people will make an effort to get to the wedding, come snow, rain or glorious sunshine. As long as your venue(s) are accessible it will be fine. Personally I would like a little snow (not enough to cause disruption though) so the pictures could be all pretty.

• F
    Beginner February 2015
    Flothom ·
    • Hide content

Good news! The farm roads around it are owned by the land owner who owns the reception area and the areas near by and I've reassured that if weather is snowy that they clear the roads with their own diggers and trucks!

I know it's silly that I asked them... But I had to know!

Ohhh all all the way to Edinburgh ? Wow good job!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Worst weather I have worked on a wedding at was an August..

When I got married it was a January and was nice and sunny

One word of advice, do book local vendors.....just in case.....4 years ago the country was snowed in and this forum was full of posts from brides about about traveling vendors struggling to get to venues.....

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics