Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Steelgoddess
Beginner June 2010

Is fruit cake a necessity??

Steelgoddess, 4 December, 2009 at 20:35 Posted on Planning 0 14

My Mum is doing my wedding cake and shes under the impression that I HAVE to have fruit cake as some people like it, I bloody hate the stuff, understand not everyone likes chocolate or some people don;t like sponge but i thought if i had both then it would be fine??

Let me know your opinons please!

xx

14 replies

Latest activity by Steelgoddess, 5 December, 2009 at 19:28
  • 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Steel basically you can have whatever you want, I don't know how many people still have fruit cake for weddings but I think just as many don't.

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content

No No No No No!

would you wear a dress you didnt like? no

would you have bm's that you didnt like? No

we are having chocolate and vanilla NO FRUITCAKE

(err, can you tell i dont like it?0

xxx

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I'm not keen on fruit cake either but thought it was "the done thing" - I'll def be asking for anything but that when I go to order mine. Also, I would think that it might even work out cheaper without the fruit cake???

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

I'm making my own so at the moment trying to decide between carrot cake, Simnel cake (as its easter

0 or maybe something citrusy, but I've only made the carrot one so far....

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Love, love, love carrot cake!!!!!!!!!

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

I think the fruit cake probably was the tradition back when our parents got married but not so much anymore,i don't think that there was the choice that we have now, from other peoples comments i don't think that many people actually like it, i personally love fruit cake, served with a slap of cheese (yum, but i think its a Yorkshire thing).

i wanted a fruit wedding cake mainly because i wanted to keep the top tier for the christening but having found out that you have to de ice it before you freeze it, seemed a bit pointless and pricy just to do that. main thing should be what you and H2B like, your never going to please everyone so just please yourselves!!!!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

I'm having 1 fruit cake and 2 sponge cake layers. I chose that and I HATE fruit cake but I wanted a very traditional wedding cake. So fruit cake it had to be. The sponge layers have to be traditional victoria sponge too...

• Catherines Cakes
    Beginner February 2004
    Catherines Cakes ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Jules, lots of people don't like fruit cake but there are also lots of people who do. With the choice available these days (we offer a choice of fruit cake or 8 different sponge flavours) there should be no reason to have to put your foot down and say 'we don't like it so we're not having it' nor should there be a reason for you to have only fruit cake if it's not what you like.

We rarely make wedding cakes that are all fruit these days but normally there is at least one fruit layer as it is traditional and there are people who like it.

If you serve your cake at the traditional time, after the wedding breakfast with coffee/tea, fruit cake will normally go down better than sponge as people will just have eaten a dessert and serving a slice of sponge is almost like serving a second dessert, whereas a small finger of fruit cake with a cup of coffee may go down better at that point in the day. Conversely if you decide to serve your cake with the evening buffet you'll get a better take up of sponge as that's more popular when dancing/drinking and eating other types of buffet food. However, I would always recommend having some fruit cake for those who do like the traditional wedding cake.

I always help my customers decide on the best cake for them, for example you may love lemon sponge but if you've just served a lemon tart as dessert will people then also want to eat a piece of lemon sponge? As Jules says you should be thinking about what your guests will enjoy and how your cake will compliment the other food you are serving.

There is more to choosing your wedding cake than just saying 'we like this/that' so that's what we're having - especially if you want to get the best out of your cake and not have lots go to waste.

HTH
    Catherine

• Lola88
    Beginner August 2011
    Lola88 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I kind of agree with everyone here... I do think it's important that you have what you want but if you are only going to have a small piece then it's nice to have the choice for your guests.

I don't like fruit cake and Dave isn't fussed by it, but having the fruit cake as one of the layer is not going to ruin the day for me- in fact I'll probably not even notice on the day, so we are going to have it.

I think if it is going to be a huge concern or 'black cloud' over your day, then don't have it, but if you're not going to be thinking about it, then there's no harm having it, some of your guests being able to enjoy it and you making sure you get a slice of a layer you do like!

Only my opinion though... x

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

We're not planning on having fruit cake after our tasting session last night but after my mum saying 'oh but I love fruit cake' we may go to M&S and buy a small one of theirs just to cut up. She's not insisting having fruit cake there just so you know, but if people want it them I'm happy to provide it! We're having a four tier cake and having different flavours on each to provide variety.

Not sure if that helps at all but go for what you want, don't just do things to keep others happy.

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's a necessity at all! on average, a lot more people like sponge cake than fruit. and more people are likely to actually DISlike fruit cake than they are sponge cake.

we aren't having any fruit cake, and we are having flavours that we like but nothing too weird so that the guests will still be happy! (coffee and victoria sponge)

x

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

No way! Have exactly what you want. Don't worry, most people love any cake! I'm the same though, not at all keen on fruit cake and we had individual chocolate deserts on a tiered stand, all with different flavoured fillings and berry toppings, served with raspberry coulis - our guests couldn't wait to tuck in!!

I would really say have what you and H2b would like.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

No you don't HAVE to have fruit cake but I agree with Jules that you are serving your guests who might like it. I had the biggest tier of my cake fruit, smallest chocolate and a serving cake which was sponge so the best of 3 worlds!

There was chocolate cake and sponge left but hardly any fruit and I hate it. Well actually I hate most fruit cake but my fruit cake was delicious.

Cater for what you think your guests might like but if you are having grans etc there then the chances are they would miss fruit cake in my opinion.

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies!! You all give some fantastic replies!!!

I think Im going to make the smallest the fruit cake, as like someone said there may be SOMEONE there that loves the stuff, and the point about dessert and cake is a very very good one!!

Now onto the next dilemma lol!

xxxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics