Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Iris
Beginner

Is it OK to buy wine for teachers?

Iris, 4 June, 2009 at 12:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 27

Master I has just over 4 weeks of reception left. I know people buy gifts for teachers these days. Is wine the done thing as I don't want to go down the twee tat route. His teacher is a lady in her mid-late 40s and his TA is a 30 something man. Teachers/TAs would you appreciate this?

They've done a fantastic job with him, he's learned so much and they are brilliant with his hip condition too. I'll quite miss them!

27 replies

Latest activity by LizBjk, 5 June, 2009 at 12:10
  • Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

Yes I would!

However 2 kids last year bought me presents that came in pretty boxes and I use the boxes everyday for stickers and stamps etc, all the kids this year are just planning on getting me boxes ?

• Frizzball
    Beginner October 2010
    Frizzball ·
    • Hide content

I have bought my childrens teachers wine in the past

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

I think it's really nice that parents and kids want to thank their teachers with gifts. Can anyone remember when this became the norm? It certainly didn't happen at all when I was at school - and does it still continue into secondary school or just with the more junior years?

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

My (diabetic) sister is a teacher and would far rather have a bottle of wine, than the never ending boxes of chocolates.

• Iris
    Beginner
    Iris ·
    • Hide content

That's pretty unanimous. Let's hope they aren't both teetotal.?

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I think wine's fine if you can give it to them directly rather than asking a 5(?) year old to take it in with him. But I used to like actually giving my teachers their presents. I think it was just in infants/juniors though, but possibly the first couple of years of secondary.

• Iris
    Beginner
    Iris ·
    • Hide content

They break up on a friday which is the one day I actually get to take him in (in reception we take them into the classroom) to school so we could give it together.

• S
    Beginner November 2005
    Skittalie ·
    • Hide content

My sisters a primary school teacher and she much prefers wine to chocolate or "worlds best teacher" tat, homemade cakes she always appreciates tho

• Unique at last
    Dedicated January 2012
    Unique at last ·
    • Hide content

Another teacher who lurves, lurves, lurves to receive wine. Smiley smile

The best gift I ever got though was from a mum who I'd had a few clashes with and I thought she hated me! It was a lovely home-made cake and she had decorated it with things we had done during the year - eg Joseph's coat, a reference to our trip to the science museum and a lighthouse among other things.

I got such a lump in my throat because all of the time and effort that had gone into it. It made me feel very special. She certainly had a talent fot cake decorating though.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

me too, usually something crap if I recall, not something useful like wine

L
    xx

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

We did too. In fact one year one of the parents arrrangedfor the class to club togetheer and get the teacher a security gate for her home ? It must have cost a fortune.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't know, what's wrong with a box of Roses, eh?

L
    xx

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah that could only happen in SA ?

We just gave chocolates or similar and a card, IIRC.

R isn't in primary yet but at Christmas I made his nursery a big box of rocky road and tablet which I believe went down quite well ?

• Lumpy Golightly
    Expert February 2003
    Lumpy Golightly ·
    • Hide content

God YES! In fact, whenever you feel the urge, buy some for me! (I've NEVER received wine from students. I've had candles and chocolates and flowers, mostly; secondary aged kids tend to give very few.)

When I was at primary school we often used to take our teachers plants as gifts - usually home grown.

• eponymous
    Beginner January 2008
    eponymous ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But would you entrust a 15 year old with a bottle of wine to give to their teacher??

• Lumpy Golightly
    Expert February 2003
    Lumpy Golightly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True. I wonder how many bottle have been bought for me but quaffed by kids? ?

To be fair, one of my colleagues receives a bottle of port every Christmas from the parents of one of his form. The boy''s about to leave school, so I guess Mark'll have to buy his own Christmas tipple this year?

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

As a teacher I've received a few bottles of wine & they are always well received! ?

Sooooo much better than bath salts or tacky little ornaments (most of which I take back into school for the summer fete raffle!). Candles are good too!! I had a candle made for me out of gel & flower buds, very nice

• Iris
    Beginner
    Iris ·
    • Hide content

Lovely Maryline, I'm sure that'd be well received ?

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am 36 and went to primary school between 1978 and 1985 and my mum always made me give presents to the teachers at Christmas and end of term. Only did it in primary, not in high school where we had loads more teachers.

Not something I will be doing when my own kids are of school age. They get paid well enough after all and no-one else gets presents for doing their job do they? Plus if my SIL is a typical example then the presents will just be recycled and given to someone else. Damn sure I wouldn't be buying gifts for some ungrateful mare to do that with.

But re the OP - if I was inclined to give gifts, I probably wouldn't give wine, but only because I'd be too worried about my child dropping and smashing the bottle on the way to school.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

As someone who is planning to be a teacher when i finish uni, i think wine is a must! ? x

• H
    Hickory ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think the gifts are a means of topping up their wages but saying thanks for taking care of your child and putting effort in to helping them learn. Sure, it's their job, but it's something I'd want to thank someone for. The same way I'd tip my hairdresser (who I also give a Christmas present too). And i do get Christmas presents from clients in my job too.

If I was a teacher, I daresay I'd recycle some gifts too. There's only so much you can do with 30 sets of soap! I recycle some gifts i don't like or need to (from friends/family too, not just work) - doesn't mean I'm not grateful for the gift and the time/money/thought - just that i don't get the point of cluttering up my house with something i'll never use, if i think someone else may enjoy it [shrug]

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree. Its not just the giving of a present, you're actually educating your child that its good to show appreciation to people.

A big fat yes to the bottle of wine idea.....especially as you can help him carry it in on the last day. I've been out of school 5 years now, but when I moved recently I found a massive box of useless tat ornaments that i'd accumulated over the years.

• Nichola80
    Nichola80 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a non drinker and weirdly my parents must have picked up on this as in 7 years of teaching I've only been given 1 bottle of wine! I must be twee because I love all the twee stuff! I have loads of little bears and stuff on my desk and in where all my teacher books are and I can remember each child who bought me the stuff.

I have to say the thing I treasure most from my previous classes are the cards that parents have written. I have quite a few that have some lovely words in them, 1 makes me cry each time I read it!

I'm sure the teacher will be thrilled just to recieve anything and that you've gone to the effort. I know I am whenever I've got anything.

• decibelle
    Beginner
    decibelle ·
    • Hide content

Can I say that, as a wife of a teacher, they don't get paid nearly enough!

My H really appreciated wine as a gift - he got loads as I think the parents really struggled to think of a present to give a male teacher! My mum's a teaching assistant in a school in an well-off neighbourhood and she gets showered with presents too - mostly chocolates which she can't eat or soaps she can't use - she's allergic to both!

• S
    sarahjl ·
    • Hide content

We have bought wine for son's teachers, and on seeing the number of parents rolling up with chocs/bunches of flowers was pleased we had gone for wine.

• LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

I'm buying my sons teacher a bottle of vodka. She deserves it ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics