Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner December 2025 Warwickshire

Is it ok to get married with super wonky teeth?!

Libby, 7 of February of 2024 at 11:45 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 5

I'm getting married in December 2025. I'm so looking forward to it but I can't seem to remove the idea from my head that I'm not pretty enough to get married. I have super wonky teeth ( One of my front teeth is almost perpendicular to the other and I have a giant canine that sticks out!). They were never corrected as a child because I knew from a very young age that I wanted to be a professional musician and having braces would affect my ability to play my instrument. Since getting engaged, I have visited an orthodontist who has given me some treatment options, one of them being Invisalign which would have slightly less impact on my ability to play that metal braces. However, there is still the chance that changing the positioning of my teeth would have a big impact on my playing ability and therefore my career. I'm not sure what to do because I really don't want to risk everything I have spent years working for but at the same time I can't remove all the images of brides with their perfect teeth at their weddings from my mind. My fiancé says he loves my teeth because they are quirky and that he thinks I'm beautiful and I guess that should be enough but in this instagram age where there is the need for all imperfections in photos to be removed, it is quite hard to feel content!

5 replies

Latest activity by Mr Green, 10 of February of 2024 at 13:09
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Have I understood this right? Your fiance loves you as you are and fixing your teeth might have a detrimental impact on the thing you love and earn your living from yet you are still considering doing it because you 'don't feel pretty enough'?!!! I don't mean this to sound harsh, but if concerns over your teeth are impacting your life to this extent, then I think you need to be spending the money on counselling to help you love yourself as you are, rather than on getting your teeth fixed.

I bet you are the only person who notices your teeth. How do I know? Because I have an enormous gap between my two front teeth and the ones either side came out sideways so they look like pointed fangs, not normal teeth. And every single time I have ever mentioned my weird teeth to anyone, they have looked blankly at me and said they never noticed. The only time anyone ever noticed anything about my mouth was when I got self-conscious about my teeth at school and went through a phase of only smiling with my mouth shut - they commented I was 'smiling oddly' (because most people show their teeth when they smile.) When I smiled normally (i.e. showing my teeth) no one noticed a thing! So almost certainly you are the only person who is worried about your teeth!

Remember, very, very few people have 'insta-perfect' smiles. And NO ONE has an 'insta-perfect' life. Those people whose teeth you are admiring will all have problems of their own - many of them probably far more serious than wonky teeth.

So please, put the effort in to learning to love the way you look as you are. I can guarantee that in 10 or 20 years time, you will be wondering why on earth you were so worried about your teeth. But if you get them 'fixed' and it impacts your music, you are going to regret that for the rest of your life.

• L
    Beginner December 2025 Warwickshire
    Libby ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you for helping me put this into perspective! Unfortunately I have had comments from people that I look like Dracula, that my teeth are unladylike and that they are disastrously wonky. I think I’ve let these comments impact me too much.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is appalling behaviour. I hope you are distancing yourself from these people as much as possible, because they sound totally toxic. (And what on earth do 'ladylike' teeth look like anyway?!!!)

I don't know you or them, but I'd be prepared to bet that you got those comments because they are envious of you in some way. The truth is that people who make nasty comments about the ability or appearance of others are usually insecure themselves and so they look for something horrible to say about anyone they view as being 'better' than themselves to try to drag those people down.

You're obviously a talented musician to be able to earn a living from it. And according to your OH, you're beautiful too. I suspect the 'dracula' comments have come from those who resent either your looks or your talent. If those people want to behave like 8 year olds, let them. Just don't let them influence your life.

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am so sorry you feel this way! We live in a world where everyone has super straight pearly white veneers and that’s ok if you want that but I think that’s how we can sometimes feel our teeth aren’t “PERFECT” I however did get my teeth straightened 7 years ago. Only my top. I went to see about getting a quick fix on my bottom teeth in December and they quoted me £4k! I’ve since then realized my squint bottom teeth are me and that’s that. Do I still like them? No, but there are in perfect condition. You actually can’t see them when I talk. echo above. Even though you point out your teeth everyone else will see it as your character. I would also suggest if social media makes you unhappy remove yourself. I am no longer on there for the same reason. I started to compare my teeth and body to others when they are just fine. Or just block the things that make you down about yourself. You are beautiful as you are, only change the things you want too and for the right reasons.
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I have visited an orthodontist who has given me some treatment options, one of them being Invisalign which would have slightly less impact on my ability to play that metal braces.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are they ones that you can take out so when performing or practising you can take them out

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, there is still the chance that changing the positioning of my teeth would have a big impact on my playing ability and therefore my career. I'm not sure what to do because I really don't want to risk everything I have spent years working for

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a kid I had braces and the process was so slow - perhaps you would be able to adapt your playing. What instrument do you play ( im guessing its not a piano ) As a side note I have been asked in the past to to photoshop a missing tooth that was knocked out in a sporting accident shortly before the wedding as the repair replacement was not ready yet. I am not suggesting that is done in this case as it will not be "you" afterwards.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics