Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Derbyshire

Is it okay to play at my own wedding?

Roger, 26 of July of 2023 at 17:25 Posted on Planning 0 6

I'm a musician that plays in a group and gets booking for parties and weddings. It would seem odd to hire another band to play at the reception but I'm getting mixed reactions when I suggest that I get our group to do the entertainment. Would save £1000's Smiley sexy

6 replies

Latest activity by PhotographybyBillHaddon, 30 of July of 2023 at 10:49
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I have seen it a few times groom/bride/ a Dad but its not generally all night or all the set that they play as you will have to also be on duty mingling and saying good buy to the older ones who might not be staying or ones with very young kids. What is it you play and could you just do one set and perhaps get someone in to fill in for you.

• Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 West Midlands
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    It’s your wedding so spend it how you want but I think you should be enjoying time with your guests and a day off!

Maybe a short set and then cover? Best of both worlds then :-)
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I've seen a few musician friends play at their own weddings, but not usually for the whole time. You don't want to spend so much time playing that you can't enjoy your wedding day, spend time with your new spouse, speak to guests etc.

As others have suggested, maybe you could get someone to cover for you for part of the time?

The same goes for your group - if they are close enough friends that you would be inviting them to your wedding anyway, then they are also going to need some 'time off'. Maybe talk it through with them and see if you can come up with a plan where you play for part of the time only.

• Hide content

I play the drums for fun -- will that do I could be your photographer and step in- all in one Smiley xd

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As a kind of one-man band?!! Now I have an image of you doing something like this, with a string attached to the camera shutter so you can take photos at the same time Smiley xd

Is it okay to play at my own wedding? 1

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Actually you are not far off the mark because as well as pushing the button on the top I am also a time keeper, weather forecaster, chief fly/wasp, stick remover from veil, and agony aunt when shooting one to one with the couple and we are out of earshot of the guests Smiley laugh .

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics