Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner March 2016

Is it possible to do up a corset back on your own?

Hedgemog , 9 of January of 2016 at 21:28 Posted on Planning 0 15

As per the title, is it possible to lace up a corset back dress on your own and if so, how?!?

15 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 11 of January of 2016 at 22:08
  • E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I would have thought it is technically possible (as in you could get it fully laced and tied) but I don't think it would be that tight and I don't know how neat it would be. Isn't there anyone who might be able to help you? Maybe even a willing volunteer from the hotel?

• H
    Beginner March 2016
    Hedgemog ·
    • Hide content

I did wonder about asking someone at the hotel but it's a bit of a risk as there's no way of knowing until we get to the point of getting dressed if someone will be available. I'm struggling to find a dress I can afford with sizing that fits me without a corset back.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I wear corsets fairly regularly. As long as you can put it on with it laced very loosely, then you can finish it off yourself (think like putting on shoes - they're laced when you put them on, then you tighten the laces once they're on your feet). It is easier if the laces are long. I tighten it as much as possible working down the back, then pull the laces towards the front - you can reach further towards the front rather than pulling out to the side. However, you will find that it takes a lot of practice to get them looking as neat as if they are done by someone else.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I'm a photographer and watch this process regularly! I'd say no, not for the first time on your wedding day!

You may find a member of hotel staff can help, your photographer can help too. But to be realistic you will need help.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

In the unlikely event your wedding is in Nottinghamshire I'd happily help around here there's lots of ladies scattered around the country and one may just be located close to you who would help x

• H
    Beginner March 2016
    Hedgemog ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the offer but we'll be in Gretna on our own. Same goes for the tog as I think we only get them for the ceremony and a short time after and don't find out who it is until much nearer the time if not on the day.

Im torn as I think a corseted dress will fit better as it will give allowance for a quite large difference between bust and waist but if I can't fasten it properly on my own then that's no good either.

For those experienced with lacing corsets, is a shorter one easier to lace?

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Little_MrsA2B ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have thought it would be that easy, especially if you are a little rushed/stressed/nervous on your wedding day. I'm pretty sure a seamstress can change the back say from a corset back to a zip, which might be an option for you? Worth asking to explore the option. Good luck x

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I find the easiest corset to lace is one which ties in the middle. It also gives the best look. However, I don't think many dresses have that style - they all seem to either tie at the top or the bottom. You could pop to a lingerie shop like Ann Summers or Victoria's Secret, if there's one by you, and try on different types of corset to see how easy you find them to lace.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

What about hiring a wedding dresser. I saw one advertising on fb the other day. Think she charged 50 oh and she was in Scotland so might me an option. Have a Google I'm sure she was called the wedding dresser.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

My dress had a hidden corset inside then zipped up. No way could I have done it on my own even for it to be untidy as hidden. We took just two friends with us and she got me in my dress. Is that an option for you. Can you cover the front of the dress and let oh do the back up? Mind you I did manage to put a load of weight on after my final fitting so it had to be laced really tight. My only other suggestion is to adk local wedding dress shops close to where you marry if someone from there could just leave you up. They can o ly say no! Then just a quick taxi to gretna.

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

Hello Smiley smile

The laces for the corset on my dress were longer than the train. Also, when we were in the bridal shop the assistant showed my BMs how to do it up and tie the remaining ties out of sight. She stressed that the ribbons should be flat and be a feature of the dress. It took two of my BMs to strap me in on the day, whilst I held my dress up in the right position. I would definitely not have been able to do that on my own.

It wasn't particularly elaborate. This was how it looked

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

When I do corsets I put them on back to front, fasten them then deflate my body as much as possible and attempt to pull them round (which can be really hard) honestly its a pain in the ass and I often end up pulling or dislocating something ?

im boycotting the corset (and big skirts too) on my wedding day, its one day where I actually want to be comfortable and able to breath/sit/move/eat without constantly feeling constricted or having to try and let it out every half an hour or so, plus I personally think buttons are adorable ?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

After witnessing literally 100s of corseted back wedding dresses being laced up I would say that it is almost impossible for you to do it successfully on your own. Mostly I see two people doing it up whilst the bride holds it in the right position, sometimes even hanging on the the door frame whilst it is tightened !

Some are designed with a wide lace that needs to be laid flat ( like the picture ) and without any twists which is not easy to do even from the back. Others are a thinner lace that does not matter so much. I have even seen a wedding dresser from the shop get it wrong.

Also bear in mind that a lot of zip dresses also have buttons with elastic loops that cover the zip which you also will not be able to do on your own, even from the back many times i have seen a bridesmaid get to the top and realize that they have missed a loop out.

• H
    Beginner March 2016
    Hedgemog ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I need to find a dress with a plain zip!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My dress had a hidden lace up corset inside then a zip and the buttons. I had a friend lace me up and zip then I didn't fasten the buttons. I left it to look like they were just for show and it looked fine. I was told by the shop that to do the buttons its easiest to use a crochet hook. If younger amzip back one don't worry if it had buttons you can't fasten just ignore them.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

For goodness sake! Should have read.... If you find a back zip one don't worry if it has buttons!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics