Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

charlottelucy
Beginner August 2012

Is it too late to buy wedding insurance?

charlottelucy, 3 November, 2010 at 18:52 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi All

My partner and I booked our wedding at the end of July this year for July 2012. Now thinking about it we should have brought wedding insurance straight away incase any companies we have booked and paid deposits with so far go bust....but is is too late? Can anyone recommend some good (and cheap) companies that will cover us?

thank you xx

12 replies

Latest activity by nikki81, 4 November, 2010 at 21:16
  • judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

It's only too late when you're on your honeymoon! You can't take it out more than 2 years in advance or less than a month normally. It doesn't matter if you've already booked people. I've gone with E&L, but Marks & Sparks and Ecclesiastical seem popular. A google search should bring up plenty of options, but prices seem to range from £30 to £80.

• N
    Beginner
    nikki81 ·
    • Hide content

We got ours with my wedding insurance. It's part of E&L. The sapphire policy was only £28 and seemed to give good cover.

Hope this helps

xx

• B
    Bev Downie ·
    • Hide content

As long as there is nothing you are aware of that is likely to cause anyone to go bust you should be fine, they won't cover anyproblems you are aware of atthe time of taking out the insurance.

Just a word of warning, E&L have a dreadful reputation when it comes to pet insurance and although I haven't heard of anyone claiming from them for wedding insurance the reviewsaren't great https://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews98612.html

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

It's not too late no, but just make sure you have a good read of the policy if you want what you've spent so far to be covered - mine doesn't cover us for payments made before we took out the policy.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well that doesn't bode well! I've gone with E&L too.

Hitchers - have you heard of anyone having difficulty claiming under an E&L wedding policy??

• N
    Beginner
    nikki81 ·
    • Hide content

I haven't heard of any problems but i wouldnt be surprised, the wedding insurance seems to be totally different to their pet insurance (which is really horrendous). But what they say and what they mean are two totally different things

i was really put off by the fact that it was E&L(which i didnt find out until after i booked ), as i work in a vets i deal with them all the time and spend at least 3 hours a week on the phone to them trying to get money back for our clients when they are refusing to pay.

I'd also check who the underwriters are as i booked mine with my wedding insurance and it wasnt until they e-mailed me the documents that i realized that it was part of E&L. It like with their pet insurance i know when they got such a bad reputation and weren't getting any sales they changed their pet insurance name to animal friends and started the whole process again.

I'm kind of dreading if we have to claim through them as i know what they are like but fingers crossed we wont need it.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

I went with E&L and nearly had to claim on it when H was made redundant. They said we'd be covered for everything we'd already booked when I'd gone through it with them, just needed proof of deposits paid. Luckily H's parents helped us out in the end so we didn't have to claim but it didn't seem like it'd be a problem.

• L
    Beginner
    Lynetobe ·
    • Hide content

I am afraid I wouldn't touch E&L or any insurance company under their umbrella. Their horse insurance is notoriously known for not paying out on claims and finding loop holes to get out of paying.

I haven't been insured with them personally but the horse world is a small one and although they are the cheapest to me its like that for a reason!

My dad sorted mine! I believe its M&S.

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies will have a look online and see what I can find Smiley smile x

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Has anyone heard of Dreamsaver wedding insurance, they seem very cheap!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I've booked Dreamsaver - hope they are OK.

OH is in the army and they covered for late rearrangement of the wedding if he is sent away (on the proviso we were certain he wasn't booked to be away when we got the insurance).

I've checked and checked and seems fine, however they don't cover for anything you've spent before you took it out so it may not be appropriate for you depending on how much you've put down as a deposit.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with you - one of our dogs was insured with E&L as no other company would take her on given her age and the fact that she'd had her cruciate ligament repaired. She was diagnosed with cancer in March last year and they quibbled over the scans she had to have done because one of them scanned her leg and she had an exlusion on her legs in the policy. Then in July this year we had to have her put to sleep because she had a stroke, lost her mobility and sight and they demanded a P.M before they'd even think of paying out - we were devastated by her death and refused to agree and my dad told them where to stick their policy. We didn't have her needlessly chopped around in life, so we were certain they weren't going to chop her around in death.

Sorry for a depressing post in a wedding forum, but E&L make me so cross.?

• N
    Beginner
    nikki81 ·
    • Hide content

Fruitbat83 that's horrendous,

it's ridiculous with some of the stuff they say. Half of their staff dont have a clue what they are talking about either. Everytime i have to do one of their insurance forms at work i just know its going to turn into a full on battle trying to get money back for clients. If i had a pound for every time i had rows with them i could buy a brand spanking new house.

Its just crazyness

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics