Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner

Is it unreasonable to expect guests to drive 40mins from ceremony to reception??

Pea1803, 1 June, 2012 at 10:30 Posted on Planning 0 12

I've been away a while (as we had a holiday to pay for so wedding plans took a back seat!!!) but am back in wedding planning mode!!

Right to my question, to give a little bit of backround, we live in rural Norfolk, we don't want a church wedding and have found a reception venue we love before finding a ceremony venue! the reception venue is in a pretty village on the broads and is just what we want. So to the potential ceremony venue... first hurdle is many places that are licenced for civil ceremonies want you to have both ceremony and reception and are not very forthcoming in allowing you to book just the ceremony. Second is they are mainly in the city, (including one i have now found which i think could be the one!) which depending on traffic, is a 30-40 min drive from the reception venue. The vast majority of our guests come from the local area, so I think they might understand that living in the sticks a drive between venues is most likely. But it has got me thinking will people be a little narked off having to then drive a while after the ceremony to get to the recption? What do you guys think?

Thanks for bearing with me in all that waffle!

12 replies

Latest activity by Perfection Weddings , 1 June, 2012 at 14:10
  • Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

I think it's fine but not any longer! our ceremony venue is looking about half an hour from our reception, we just couldn't find anything we liked nearer! people will understand! x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Umm i don't think the distance/journey time is unreasonable I live in London and work to the rule that it takes 45mins to get pretty much any where in central from where i live.

Will you be providing Transport between the two venues or will guests have to make their own way?If not will you be having drinks after your ceremony at your ceremony venue? If so you need to give thought to people having to drive after.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think 40 mins is quite far and (assuming there is accommodation close to the reception venue) I would organise transport for guests from reception venue to ceremony and back again.

That's just a personal thing though and is coming from someone who doesn't drive and lives in a city. I would never say anything to the bride and groom about it... but I would expect to be told in advance so I could make arrangements... I'd be highly unimpressed to turn up and have no way to get to the reception venue, or have to fork out for an expensive cab without warning.

Just my opinion ?

ETA having read James' post, I'd like to add... it isn't the time that bothers me, I do more than that just to get to work in the morning, but it'd be the cost of 40 mins in a cab that would get me!!

• P
    Beginner
    Pea1803 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all!

There isnt any accomodation at or near the reception venue, (havnt even decided if we're going to have a night in a hotel or stay at home after the reception yet!) however 90% of our guests live within 10-15 min drive from there. I can only think of 2 guests who are relatives who are coming from far away and they will be staying with my grandparents anyway. I can't think that anyone would be getting a cab from the ceremony to the reception, but they may get one at the end of the night home, but like i said they all live quite close in nearby villages.

Good point about drinks at the ceremony, I had thought that might be nice but had totally not thought about people having alcohol then having to drive, might knock that one on the head!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

The longest journey I have done between venues is about 20 minutes, which was fine.

I too, am a city girl, so "acceptable distances" are very different to me! We searched for a reception venue that was maximum 10 minutes from our church.

I am going to a wedding in December where it is all in one place but is a fair distance from where we all live, so they are putting on a return coach for the guests.

It sounds like something that your guests would be used to so shouldn't be a problem?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Is there no option to have the ceremony at the reception venue?

You could do the legal bit separately and have a blessing/humanist ceremony on the actual day?

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I think it is ok as long as you think of logistics of everyone, particularly those that don't know the area. Personally if it was this distance I would look at coaches/grouping people together for transport - my friend did this and so I didn't even mind the distance between church/venue.

Though can you get married at your reception venue? Even if its humanist/or it not being legal?

• P
    Beginner
    Pea1803 ·
    • Hide content

It would be perfect if we could marry at the reception venue but its not licenced. Forgive me being dim but I have just had to google "humanist wedding" as I had never heard of this before, I'm not particularly keen on doing things twice, I really would like our family and friends to be there when we officially/legally become husband and wife.

I've just had a convo with a work colleage and she was of the opinion that people will probably appreciate being closer to home at the end of the night so they havnt got far to drive / cheaper taxi, than worrying that the ceremony is in the nearest city (Norwich) and having a bit of a drive from there to the reception. And as i mentioned before most guests live within 15 mins of the reception venue.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys Smiley smile

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Personally I would think 40mins is too far, the max we considered was 30mins. Our venue is a good distance from most people attending but is all in one place and theres plenty of local accomodation. (also there was never going to be a location that would be good for everyone!)

I would be appeased slightly as a guest if you were putting on transport both there and back again..

• Perfection Weddings
    Beginner March 2012
    Perfection Weddings ·
    • Hide content

It would be extremely hard for people that dont drive x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics