Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anonbride
Expert July 2023 Cornwall

Is it worth taking out a rewards credit card for wedding stuff?

Anonbride, 17 of January of 2022 at 11:55 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 2

I read on one of those planning articles that taking out a rewards based credit card can be really worth while, but looking into a few it seems like there's a lot of immediate spend (like in the first month) needed to get the benefits... Wondering if anyone has taken one out and if they would recommend?

If it makes a difference as to whether its worthwhile, my parents are kindly paying for the biggest expense (venue/food package) so we are paying for all the outfits, flowers, photographer and anything extra - which, while it will be a lot of money - is a much small proportion of the overall wedding spend.

2 replies

Latest activity by Stephanie, 17 of January of 2022 at 17:22
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I would say do it if you have the funds to then pay off straight away and you are aligned to be able to use it for stuff in the first month like all your deposits etc but check your venues etc will take credit card as a lot fo them want the cash transferred so has to be readily available cash if that makes sense.

• Stephanie
    Savvy June 2022 South West London
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content

We did this with the Amex BA card - it then turned out Bath council wouldn't take AMEX and as they're our main vendor (venue and registrar) it backfired slightly. We had to spend £3k in the first 3 months to get the most benefit and just shoved every bit of spending on there we could including wedding and daily expenses and its worked out really well - we have 40,000 air miles and a companion voucher already! I think it depends 1. if you can pay it off each month as charlotte says and 2. whether you'll use the reward.

We did a spreadsheet of our monthly costs and expected payments to work out whether we'd definitely get the benefit.

Additionally, if your parents are paying and they were planning a bank transfer to the venue, could you pay the venue on the card and then your parents pay you so you still get the benefit? Depends on the exact situation but could work out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics