Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

spacecadet_99
Beginner

Is my cat really THAT big?!

spacecadet_99, 28 of April of 2009 at 18:21 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 20

Been to the vet to collect some prescription food for the cat. Was chatting to the girl on reception about various things and there was a GORGEOUS black lab puppy - I mentioned that my cat was probably bigger than him and was in a large cat/small dog carrier. She looked up his weight and said '6.7kg?!' <this face> ?

I know he's a reasonable size but is that really all THAT big? He could lose a little weight I guess but you can easily feel his ribs etc which I was always told was a sign they weren't overweight, and he doesn't have belly underhang, he's just a big lad. I'm feeling all paranoid and protective of my baby ?

20 replies

Latest activity by jozzym, 29 of April of 2009 at 12:37
  • Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

Adult boy cats do get quite big, our cat is about a year old and female and is skinny as anything despite food being always avaliable. I wouldnt worry if the vet isnt saying to diet

• S
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparklywug ·
    • Hide content

It's big but not unreasonably big, my male cat is 7.5kg and the vet has said not to diet because he isn't overweight, he's just very big (great big paws, long tail and a big head!) That said though, whenever people come over/I take him to the vet they say "wow, your cat is enormous!" ?

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

A quick google found this which does say he probably is obese, but it depends how big his build is really.

http://www.petsgetslim.co.uk/site-media/images/modules/advice/Cat_weights.pdf

• T
    Beginner
    timotei ·
    • Hide content

I would say my cat is on the small side (and female) and she weighs 3kg.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure what he weighs but Frankie is a big boy too. He is very long and has a big head with big shoulders. Sometimes when he sits at a certain angle he looks like he should be on a Channel 5 Extremely Fat Cats Show. ?

We had an undertaker come to the house last year and he mistook Frankie for a dog. ?

From the front

Full on angle

Not very flattering! ?

In his favourite place.

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

I guess it also depends on the breed. Mr Victor is a Ragdoll and weighs 10lb 4oz (it never waivers - I weight him loads, and he purrs when he sits on my scales!). That said, he's quite small for a Ragdoll!

• Fenella Fudge
    Beginner June 2008
    Fenella Fudge ·
    • Hide content

Ahh doesnt your cat look contented Mrs Magic.

My boy cat is 18lbs or 8.2kgs, he's a big cat and is so heavy to carry. One vet did mention about him losing weight but he really doesnt eat that much. My girl cat (7lbs) and boy cat share one little round tin of sheba or similar a day plus have a small portion of prescription biscuits (for his urinary problem). I dont see how I can cut his food down anymore and he's basically an indoor car, except for 2-3 hours on a Sat/Sun morning.

Until the vet tells me he's unhealthy then I think I'll continue doing what I'm doing.

So in answer to your question your cat is a supermodel compared to mine ?

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

Well Tex(as) is heeeeeeeeeuuuuuuge. When we got him at 10 months old last January, he weighed 11 lbs. He's now a whopping 15 lbs, and when that's standing on your stomach/leg/chest, it's bloody heavy!

It's at that point he is called a BBB. He's big, and black. Go figure his nickname! (very un-pc, but hey)

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

We tried to weigh Frankie by standing on the scales alone and then with him. It says he's about 1st but I guaruntee scientific accuracy. ?

Fenella, he's a sleep-a-holic. He's about 12 now and has risen to the role of OAP with much ease. ?

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content

Mrs Magic, he is bootiful, my Blossom is 8, but she is tiny, bless her ❤️

• Dove
    Beginner
    Dove ·
    • Hide content

Average cat weight is 4kg, allowing for bigger builds of a domestic moggy I would consider anything over 6 kg to be overweight.

Just be aware that male 'heavy' cats are more prone to urinary problems/blockages.

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

6.7 is the same size as my cat, she's lost 4lbs in the last year. She's an indoor cat now (but even before she wouldn't really move around much) we try and keep her as active as possible with her treats in a ball and furry puches filled with catnip.

I ❤️ my fat cat!

• Kazmerelda
    Beginner August 2006
    Kazmerelda ·
    • Hide content

I think from the vet they said 5kg was the most they should weigh. However our beloved furrball weighs in at almost 4 and she is mostly furr

are they a long hair? This can make some difference Bics is like a carpet ? and this was said by the vet!

• monkey fingers
    Beginner
    monkey fingers ·
    • Hide content

Ron cat, is 7kg now, he was nearly 8kg last year, but has been on a very strict diet after a health scare, Neville cat is about 6kg.

We really struggle keeping Rons weight down. I never really thought him as being big, but after lifting the puppy for a couple of days, I then went to lift Ron and nearly put my back out!

Here he is a few years ago he was not at his fatest here http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1205/634401588_19744a5fe9.jpg*

*oh buggeration, can't get the link to work!

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

For MF

Ron cat

Everyones cats are lovely x

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

Tee hee - Mr Victor gave me permission to show you all his big tummy:

And here he is having portion control explained to him:

• monkey fingers
    Beginner
    monkey fingers ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Zoe, you are a star!

I am loving everyone's pussies! ?

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

Not a problem MF, if you right click on the image in flickr and select copy you can then paste in in here.

I forgot to add some of my skinny thing

• Lumpy Golightly
    Expert February 2003
    Lumpy Golightly ·
    • Hide content

Dylan used to be exceedingly fat at 14.5lb. He's a little sleeker these days but extremely lazy, so although he doesn't eat excessively it's hard to get his weight below 12lb.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Having had cuddles with Ron Cat and Dylan, I can confrim Frankie is much heavier! Oh dear! ?

LG's Edward is like holding a feather, definitely the lightest cat I've ever held and MF's Neville wouldn't come anywhere near me!

• jozzym
    Beginner July 2006
    jozzym ·
    • Hide content

Lumpy Golightly- I think Dylan may be related to my Scrumpy?! Excuse the medallion - he has got rid now! Gorgeous cats everyone

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics