Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Linz160
Beginner November 2013

Is my dress too long?

Linz160, 15 of October of 2013 at 10:47 Posted on Planning 0 19

I tried my dress on last week and I am concerned it is maybe a bit too long at front? I like the look of it resting on the ground, and can't imagine it not bring on the floor. I don't trip on it when I walk, but just wondered some others opinions?

(before the buttons went on)

Would appreciate your thoughts, and opinions of OMs who have feedback on their dress length.

Thanks x

edit to add ... It's sits on me as it does on the mannequin

19 replies

Latest activity by Linz160, 22 of October of 2013 at 19:11
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

My dress was taken up (at the front) to just on my shoes. At that length, yours looks very treadable. You don't want to have to kick it out every time you take a step.

• M
    Beginner November 2013
    MrsW-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Might be a daft question - but have you tried having a bit of a walk around in it to see if you are likely to be treading on it?

Also, not sure if this would work but would you consider wearing a low hoop as that may help the dress to stay a bit more out from your feet?

xx

• Linz160
    Beginner November 2013
    Linz160 ·
    • Hide content

We're going to try sewing some boning round the bottom of the underskirt, as opposed to a solid hoop, to keep it away from my legs a bit. It was custom made (based on measurements we provided - HTB measured me!) so I can see how we maybe got it a bit wrong, just seems a shame to have to take it apart. Suppose it needs to be right though. Trying it again this weekend after the boning is sewn in, so will try walking about and see how it feels.

• Penny P
    Beginner March 2014
    Penny P ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking the exact same thing, my dress is really long too. I like the suggestion of taking it up at the front slightly. I can imagine it's get very annoying having the hitch the dress up all the time!

• H
    Beginner May 2014
    Helybel ·
    • Hide content

Just test it walking around in your shoes a bit, the hoop might be a good idea if you want it longer so it falls on the floor. I went to a wedding this year where her dress was far too long and she had to walk down the aisle kicking it out all the time which looked a bit daft.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Will you be wearing a hoop?

This will lift it very slightly and should help with you not needing to kick it out the way.

I have to admit, it does look a little like it might be longer than you'd really want.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HellsBells42 ·
    • Hide content

I think the other thing you might want to consider is not just if you will tread on it, but if others will. There are possibly going be lots of people coming in for hugs and you don't want any accidents! Also can you dance in it? I know you'll probably hitch it up at the back after the ceremony, but how does that affect the drape of the front?

• B
    Beginner July 2014
    blueypye ·
    • Hide content

One of my bugbears is when I see pictures or videos of brides who have spent so much money on the dress of their dreams only to spend the entire day and night hitching it up every time they want to move. I would suggest taking it up so that you can at least walk forward in it without having to carry it in your arms.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

One of my friend's wedding dress was SO dirty at the bottom (in convinced this is because it was a bit too long and dragged a tiny bit more on the floor than it should.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others, it could be doing with coming up a bit Smiley smile
    It's a gorgeous dress and you don't want the bottom getting dirty / stood on bu guests and your OH during first dance etc.
    And agree that you pay so much money on a dress so it should be comfortable and you shouldn't have the worry of lifting it up all the time Smiley smile

• Linz160
    Beginner November 2013
    Linz160 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for al your comments. I am trying it on again on Sunday, with my bridesmaid with me, so will review it again and make a decision whether to take it up a bit.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I suspect that whilst you're stood perfectly still it'll look lovely, but as you move it'll get under your feet a little. Even if it doesn't trip you up, after you've moved it'll end up getting tucked under, rather than liking neatly outward like it does on the mannequin.

Honestly I think it's too long and you'll regret it if you don't have it taken up.

• J
    Beginner August 2015
    JJames12 ·
    • Hide content

I quite like it at the level its at in the photo, I like the sweeping it would do when you walked too Smiley smile

I also think its a beautiful dress Smiley smile

• Linz160
    Beginner November 2013
    Linz160 ·
    • Hide content

Here's a pic of me in the dress (apologies for the poor lighting, but you get the idea)

i think I need to get a hoop to keep the shape and stop it bunching around my legs as I walk. We tried sewing boning in, but this wasn't fixed enough.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Looks about the right length on you but definitely get a hoop then you won't stand on it.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

It looks fine as you are stood there. What does it do after you've walked around in it? Does it need rearranging to make it look like this again? I think a hoop would help but also I still think it's a tiny bit too long. But that's just me.

ETA- Very pretty dress and it looks lovely on you!

• M
    Beginner November 2013
    MrsW-to-be ·
    • Hide content

I just wanted to say that your dress looks stunning on you.

It looks about the right length to me but I agree that a hoop would help keep the shape and to save it gathering around your legs - beautiful dress.

xx

• Linz160
    Beginner November 2013
    Linz160 ·
    • Hide content

It does gather round my legs when I walk. I am going to borrow a hoop and see how it sits. Will update at the weekend.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics