Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner June 2010

Is my dress too short?

Future Mrs D, 24 August, 2009 at 12:11 Posted on Planning 0 15

Im 5 10" and wearing Ronald Joyce 57052 and im really worried that my dress is too short. Im really tall but ordered the dress with extra length as i will be wearing 3 inch heels. I got my shoes (benjamin adams style diaz) which are amazing and go perfect with my dress however when trying it on for the first time on Saturday, its a good inch off of the floor.

I thought wedding dresses were supposed to sit on the floor? The woman in the shop assured me its fine as it means i wont need to keep lifting it up to walk, however i cant help but feel its obviously too short and will look silly.

Can anyone help please Smiley sad x

15 replies

Latest activity by kerryanneellis, 24 August, 2009 at 18:18
  • Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Do you have any pics that we can see???

I'm not sure if they are supposed to sit on the floor but 1" isn't that much so, as the girl in the shop said, its probably ok (and maybe a little bit more practical when walking).

Maybe somebody else whos already married or has had their dress fittings done could be of more help?!?!?

• F
    Beginner June 2010
    Future Mrs D ·
    • Hide content

No pics as yet but popping round to my mums today to try it on again and see what i can do about it! At the moment im thinking il have to buy really low heeled shoes but that will make me feel frumpy!!

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

I'm also a Ronald Joyce bride, but only 5'3", plus 3" heals. I've had my final alterations made now and it doesn't sit on the floor at the front, about an inch of the floor sounds about right to me. If it sat on the floor it would get filthy I think.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Mine was on the floor and I spent most of the day lifting it up. With hindsight, I'd have asked her to make it slightly shorter so I didn't have to worry about tripping over it all day! I'm sure yours'll be fine.

• Beccy Sprout
    Beginner
    Beccy Sprout ·
    • Hide content

Mine will be off the floor, mainly so I don't have to keep picking it up and also so I get to show off my fabulous shoes!

• F
    Beginner June 2010
    Future Mrs D ·
    • Hide content

So it seems its generally ok for your dress to be shorter... thats helped loads thank you everyone Smiley smile

My only other problem is that with my wearing 3 inch heels im a tad worried im going to be slightly taller than my H2B but why should i have to change my shoes, im in love with them and dont think id want to change them ? but then again i dont want to look like a giant next to him... decisions decisions....

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

How tall is your h2b? I originally fell in love with shoes that had a 3.5 inch heel but I went for ones with a 2 inch heel in the end. Three reasons:

1. comfort
    2. price (high ones were £140, ones I actually bought were £40)
    3. H is only 3 inches taller than me and I didn't want to be taller, even though he said he didn't mind

That said, there are plenty of couples out there where the woman is actually taller than the man, so I don't think it'll matter.

• F
    Beginner June 2010
    Future Mrs D ·
    • Hide content

It shouldnt matter but i dont want to make him feel silly... im going to have to re-think the shoe situation. The shoes iv got were reduced from £219 to £59 so i reaaaaly dont want to give them up but then again....whos going to see my shoes... i suppose i could wear my beautiful ones for the evening doo when the photos etc have been done and a smaller comfier pair for the day...

Thanks again for your help ?

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry about the height difference, unless, of course, your h2b is bothered by it?

I presume that you normally wear heels of that height and therefore you are both used to a height difference, and therefore it really doesn't matter,

• F
    Beginner June 2010
    Future Mrs D ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Sarah-Kay, i think il find a pair of shoes at home that are the same height as my wedding shoes and stand next to him and see whether we are both comfortable with it, thats probably the best way. He knows i love my heels but he doesnt really like me being so tall next to him so i really need to be careful with this one.

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, 1inch sounds about right - my dress came right to the floor and I did have to hitch it up quite a bit (scuse the pun)

Also, I am 2 ins taller than my OH and my wedding shoes were about 3 inch heels, it didn't matter at all. I wouldn't have felt glamourous in shoes that were flatter!

HTH

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was thinking of you when I said about brides who are taller than their grooms. ?

• F
    Beginner June 2010
    Future Mrs D ·
    • Hide content

Thats the problem isnt it, wearing flatter shoes will make me feel less glamourous!!

Good news is i tried my dress on earlier and im happy with the length now, im going to test my shoes next to my H2B tonight and hope that they are ok!!

Iv pretty much decided im keeping them now....!!!

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

• K
    Beginner July 2010
    kerryanneellis ·
    • Hide content

He he its so confusing isnt it i have the same issue

I had all my measurements taken for my dress the other day and had the hem measured to the top of my foot if you see what i mean then allow for a heel so ive allowed 11/2 inch heel as i am too worried ill be taller than my H2B but i want to wear heels toooo so i can feel glamorous .........oh decisions .....

K xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics