Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner April 2020

Is my wedding too princessy?

ExpensiveOrangeStationery59165, 17 of September of 2019 at 06:14 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi there,

I'm getting married in spring next year at an estate in Somerset. The wedding will be at a small church on the house grounds, and the wedding breakfast will be at the house. My mother-in-law very nicely offered to pay for a traditional horse and carriage as my transport. During the reception and wedding breakfast we have a string quartet for music.

I've got my wedding dress, and it's a full skirted, fitted lace bodice ivory dress. I've also got a cathedral length veil. I always imagined a sparkly headpiece of some variety, and I've found some tiaras that are really lovely, like some of the leaf-inspired ones from Ivory and Co (not the stereotypical pointed/prom tiaras).

I guess my main worry is whether the wedding as a whole (including the horse and carriage and a big dress and tiara) seems too OTT? I think I'm just worried it will look a little bit tacky, and like I took the 'princess-for-a-day' idea and ran with it! It also seems a bit extravagant, but we're having a mid-week wedding which has kept the costs down!

I think I'm probably just nervous about being over-dressed and over-thinking things. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice, or did you feel the same way?

Thank you! x

6 replies

Latest activity by gypsybride, 29 of October of 2019 at 15:46
  • H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I had a few thoughts about things like this, but honestly, if it's something you want, go for it!

If you can't be extra on your wedding, when can you?! X

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Have you checked that your big dress will fit in to the carriage ok? That would be my main worry!

• E
    Beginner April 2020
    ExpensiveOrangeStationery59165 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! That's reassuring ? I think I'm starting to feel that way as well! x

• E
    Beginner April 2020
    ExpensiveOrangeStationery59165 ·
    • Hide content

That's a good point! I'm planning the wedding in the UK from Australia, so I haven't seen the carriage in person but my parents-in-law had a look and sent photos. I think it will be ok. My dress is a ball-gown style, but it can be gathered together fairly well and the company does a lot of weddings and seemed confident I'd be ok to get in and out ?

• BigYellowTaxi
    Curious August 2022
    BigYellowTaxi ·
    • Hide content

I think as long as you're happy and comfortable with each individual decision that's made then youre alright! Dont decide not to have something just because you're worried its too princessy, if all the things you like are a little bit like that then thats ok, as long as its a reflection of you and what you like!

• L
    Savvy August 2021
    LuxuriousGreenHair66000 ·
    • Hide content

A wedding is a big occasion and can never be too princessy. If you are happy with it, theres no problem!

• G
    Beginner April 2020
    gypsybride ·
    • Hide content

I dont know why you feel guilty, I had a huge princess wedding for my first wedding and can give you ideas if you want but they might be a bit OTT lol. Loved planning it, however Im getting remarried now.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics