Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Is Pachelbel's Canon in D too cliche?

16 of July of 2013 at 16:30 Posted on Planning 0 17

Pachelbel's Canon in D has been my favourite piece of classical music since I was about 8 years old, and I think it would be really lovely for a wedding, but as I've got older I noticed that EVERYONE seems to have it. Do you suppose I should go with something a bit less glaringly obvious?

Since a few of you have replied saying you had it, since it's quite a long piece, at what point did you enter? Did you let it play all the way to the end?

17 replies

Latest activity by golden, 21 of July of 2013 at 12:36
  • M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

I am having this, both my mum and auntie had it - I dont really care if its cliche I am having it cause it means something to me!

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

I had this same thought, and I considered all the other classic entrance music pieces that come up on YouTube, asked my organist for ideas, all sorts. But it is still my fave. I almost gave it up when a close friend had it just a week or two ago. But I spoke to an OM friend of mine and she said - "It is beautiful. I had it and I loved it. And I think you will always regret it if you do not have it. " - she knows I love it. So I have stuck with it. There is a danger my organist will fall asleep whilst playing it but I don;t care. I love it. And when I am 70 I want to look back and be pleased I chose something beautiful that I loved, and didnt make myself choose something else because i am too cool to go with the crowd.

That is my basic, completely mental though process! xxx

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

My sister had it for her wedding ten years ago and I loved it! I would strongly recommend you go with it if you like it - don't pick something just cos no-one else has it - you'll find that, no matter what you do, someone else has already done it so go with what you like.

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Completely agree with this, things come into trend and go out again.

I think you should go with what you want and not worry if loads of others have done the same either!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

It doesn't matter if other people have it, if you love it and it means a lot to you just go with that - it's a beautiful piece of music!
    I'm having Chopins nocturne in e flat major included in our day as it's one of my fave pieces of music, not sure if many use it but not bothered either as we love it Smiley smile

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I had it and I love it. If you like the song have it. As long as you're not just doing it to join the crowd it doesn't matter.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Until yesterday I'd decided I was going to have it too - but a piano version of it. Its a beautiful piece of music.

I've actually changed my mind though and am having Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. My OH LOVES the dance version Tiesto did so it would mean more to both of us to have that instead.

If that's what you want then have it, the fact that a lot of people use it shouldn't put you off.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

This. Have what YOU want

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

This is what I wanted but my sis in law had it for her wedding march (they got wed may _ us in nov) so I opted out of it and had trumpet voluntary instead.. if you love it then definatly go for it Smiley smile

• K
    Beginner August 2013
    Kitles123 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having Canon in D by the O'Neill Brothers for both mine and my bridesmaid entrance. I had a few wobbles as I thought this was more appropriate for church weddings and I am getting married in a hotel. I just love it and don't care if its not to others taste.

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I had it as it was, to me, the equivalent of the wedding march in a church. Wouldn't have been right without it.

we walked out to the music for Supermsn, so, that made it all a bit different!

• M
    Dedicated February 2022
    martinkab@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content

It's a fabulous piece - I reckon it's popular for a reason, it's bloomin' beautiful!

There is a site all about the history of the piece at www.pachelbelcanon.net, if that helps.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

It is cliche but sometimes I think extremely popular for a very good reason. I had it because it moved me to tears and I had such an emotional reaction to it. I told my friend about it who got married in May when she was looking at songs, and she cried listening to it. My best friend had it last week at hers. It's a wonderful piece of music so if you love it above all else, don't let anything put you off it.

• G
    Beginner August 2013
    golden ·
    • Hide content

If you love it then go for it. Music that people are familiar with is useful. It instantly sets a scene. This is great. Your wedding doesn't need to be 'different' to be personal. You are getting married, it is completely personal enough in that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics