Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Is the groom supposed to look backwards?????

27 February, 2012 at 11:11 Posted on Planning 0 198

As the bride walks down the aisle I mean. I've done my tellyvisual research and Prince William kept looking straight ahead but some of the grooms on Don't Tell The Bride look back. Is it bad luck or something? OMs did your groom look back at you?!

I think I want my OH to look at me, I'll be bricking it!

198 replies

Latest activity by BridalButterfly2012, 1 March, 2012 at 19:12
  • T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

My H didnt look back and I did wonder why so I asked him later on! At the end of the aisle, behind the registrar's table were two giant mirrors (that I didnt notice) and he said he could see me walking up the aisle so didnt have to turn around. He also didnt want to turn round as he was teary.?

In answer to your question though, I dont think it really matters; I've never heard of a groom looking/not looking equating to bad/good luck.

• D
    Beginner February 2012
    Dani1984 ·
    • Hide content

I have to say i honestly am not sure if he looked at me or not!! i remember looking around the room at one point and i honestly can not remember!! my TOG's pics are online so will have to look!!! I have not heard if its bad luck or not but honest that walk is the quickest of your life!!!!

xx

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

I said to OH would he look back and he said that your not supposed to who told him that I've no idea.

but I said I wanted him to look at me!

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

Exactly this its strange, he didn't look round for his last wedding, I said I would like him to, to reassure me he hasn't said either way though lol!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Just a bit of reassurance but I thought I would be a blubbering wreck walking down the aisle; I cried at every wedding I went to and every wedding programme I watched leading up to my wedding but I didnt cry. I was smiling too much to cry. Not that there's anything wrong with crying mind you...

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Part of me really wants my OH to look at me because I want to see his reaction, but another part of me doesn't want him to because I'll probably burst out crying!!

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

I've already asked my OH to look back at me, I won't know where to look otherwise with all eyes on me! Not heard anything about it supposedly being bad luck.

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Who knows. i guess he'll do what he wants on the day. i aint gonna turn round and go home if he doesnt

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Nope! My H did though.

#heartless

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Supposedly, and this is on the Hitched traditions page here:

/wedding-planning/organising-and-planning/wedding-traditions-and-superstitions/

It says it's bad luck for the grrom to see the dress before the day, and he will have more luck if he doesn't glance at it whilst the bride enters the ceremony. I do kind of want him to loook at me though, and get the full-lungth view before I'm too close. But he'll see me the whole day after too.

• S
    Beginner August 2014
    Susiegirl1984 ·
    • Hide content

I think its nice when the groom turns round to have a quick look, Price William was prob just too nervous to have a look round, every wedding I have been to, the groom takes a quick look. I wouldn't make a big thing of it though, just mention it to your fiance that you'd quite like him to get a glimpse of you as you walk down the aisle.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can make for a beautiful photograph too....

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content

WSS - if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say then why say anything at all? No need to be mean

Kochanski - good luck for the 3rd!!! Hope you have a lovely day

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Oh and I had a little chat about this 'pointless rubbish' the other day, he said that he thinks he shuldn't turn to look at me but again doesn't know if that is an actual tradition or where he heard it from. I'm not sure if I want him to look or not, don't think I mind either way!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

My OH will look. He won't be able not too. The ceremony room is round (a windmill) and I kind of walk in from the side. I bet we will both laugh at each other all dolled up. And then I'll probably blub when the music starts. It's the music that makes my eyes leak!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I cried listening to my entrance music all the time and since but not on the day. Very odd!

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

I have not thought about it, he will do whatever he feels on the day.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Not very orginal! But very beautiful. It's Canon in D, this version (track one)

https://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Essential-Collection-Avalon-Consort/dp/B0002BHQTU

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

I don't tHink my oh will be able to resist taking a quick glimpse I loved the royal wedding when you seen him mouth to her she looked beautiful! I love wills and Kate!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

My H didn't get a choice really - the registrars told him where to stand, and he was on an angle to the aisle, so he couldn't help but see me.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

This misses out the point that traditionally at military weddings(where swords are often worn) the groom needs his right arm free to salute. Bit hard to do that when your other arm is around your new wife.

Peter

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Kochanski - I have actually thought about this. I think its as relevant as every other post on here! If people think its not then they don't have to read/reply if its not of interest to them. My OH has said he'll look at me, he doesn't understand why you wouldn't! Which is a good point, it seems quite rude to me! He wants to see me walking up the aisle towards him. It'll be a very special moment.

I've only read the first page of posts, can't be bothered reading all 47 posts to be honest. From what I've seen on many threads though is that Old Bear seems to just want to start an argument on this site. Not to offer opinions; whether negative or positive so I wouldn't even bother reply to a person like that if I was you.

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

Wowsa some people are rude! i watched will and kates wedding and my friend turned to me in horror when we realised he wasn't watching her walk down the isle, she said she would be really upset if her oh didn't look and i agree! for me the hair/makeup/tanning/shoes/dress and weeks of facials are so i look stunning walking down the isle, thats the moment i imagine when im trying on dresses, that first moment he sees me. if my oh only looked when im stood next to him he won't see the whole affect of the dress, my figure in it etc. (well thats MY worry, and im sure on the day i won't notice eather way!)

I have read that is is bad luck for them to look, so i can see why the royals don't do it, but my oh says "when i see you walking down the isle..." when were talking about our wedding, as for him is a given that the groom looks, just as it is that confetti will be thrown afterwards! not sure if im going to be able to look back for to long as il proberly start crying!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok, I tried not to get involved but here goes. I did think OB was a little harsh in her original post but to say that she just seems to want to start arguments on this site is harsh and untrue. OB is a great girl and is going through a pretty sh**y time at the moment.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not the best position to be commenting from then really.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Thats no excuse to be a b itch on an internet forum! Everyone has their own stuff. Anyway, thats not relevant to this poster's thread so never mind. The end.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

TBH you're coming across as one at the moment.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

No, she's not, she's just making a clear observation. It was a very rude comment, and its not the first I've witnessed from this poster either.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

No, she's not, she's just making a clear observation. It was a very rude comment, and its not the first I've witnessed from this poster either.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ok...

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Wow is this thread about pointless threads still going on.

the OP..fine its a topic/convo starter

OB continued the convo

now its a bit tit for tat. so as i have nothing else nice to say i wont comment again Smiley smile

x

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree.

I actually think it's an interesting post. I went to a wedding 18 months ago, the groom looked round, starting nodding his head, everyone noticed, I thought it was so nice, the bride was beaming by the time she got to the top of the aisle, it was beautiful. I hope my h2b does something similar.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics